Virgin Money

What are the best hotel promos for April?

Welcome to our regular round-up of the best hotel promotions currently running.

All of the information in this article can also be found on our ‘Hotel Promos’ page which contains details of all of the current offers, together with links to our major articles on each hotel scheme.  However, a positive response from readers – especially our 13,300 email subscribers – means I am now running this monthly article as a handy summary of what is going on.

Here are quick links to the registration pages you need for each offer – do it before you forget:

IHG’s Reward Nights Faster – register here

Hilton’s Points Unlimited – register here

Accor’s ‘2x, 3x, 4x on your next booking’ deal – register here

Marriott’s Double Take – register here

Registration has closed for Hyatt’s bonus points offer even though it is valid for stays until 15th May.

InterContinental Le Grand Paris

Where should you credit your stays in April?

This is what you have to choose from:

IHG‘s offer has personalised targets so it is impossible to tell if yours are worth doing or not.  In general, you should find that your offer is more attractive than it has been for a while.  I have certainly made more of an effort this time and moved a few stays to IHG.  My Glasgow night last week triggered over 20,000 points.

Hilton‘s offer is the easiest – 2,000 bonus points per stay plus an additional 10,000 points for every five stays or ten nights by 5th May

Accor only has a Europe / Africa / Middle East offer of 2x, 3x or 4x points on one stay only, with the bonus depending on which month you stay (4x is August)

Marriott‘s offer of double base points on every stay until 4th June is valuable on expensive trips – but it only starts from your 2nd stay during the promo period.  Some people may want to do a cheap mattress run if their first stay after registration is going to be very expensive!

Hyatt‘s offer of 1,000 bonus points per night (1,500 points at its budget chains) could work out nicely for longer stays – but, like Marriott, it won’t pay the bonus on your first stay after registering.  Registration is now closed.

The scheme to avoid if you are seeking bonus points is Radisson Rewards which is not offering any global promotion at present.

IHG Rewards Club current promotion

IHG (Holiday Inn, Crowne Plaza, InterContinental, Indigo, Staybridge Suites etc):

IHG is running a  promotion called Rewards Night. Faster.  It runs from 15th January to 30th April, so there are only a few weeks left.

Everyone has personalised targets which, in general, are easier or more generous than we have seen for a while.  This is my article on the offer.  You can register on the IHG site here.

I got the following targets:

10,000 bonus points for staying five nights

19,200 bonus points for staying at three different IHG brands

5,600 bonus points for 2 x 2-night weekend stays (Saturday plus another night)

8,000 bonus points for four stays booked on the corporate rate of the company I haven’t worked for since 2011, and which has special rates at very few properties anyway ….

3,000 bonus points for one stay in February

42,800 bonus points for completing four of the five targets above

There is no way I can hit four out of five for the full bonus but I have already got the 19,200 points for three different brands.

Take a look at what you’ve been offered.  You need to register for ‘Reward Nights. Faster.’the link is here where you will also find your personalised targets.  The IHG home page is here.

Hilton (Hampton, Conrad, Waldorf-Astoria etc):

Hilton is currently running an offer called ‘Points Unlimited’.  You can register here.

You will earn 2,000 bonus Hilton Honors points for every stay between 4th January and 5th May.

Even better, you will earn an additional 10,000 bonus Hilton Honors points for every FIVE stays OR TEN nights you complete, whichever comes first.

There is no cap to what you can earn and there are no minimum stay requirements.  The bonus should also trigger on reward stays given how similar promotions have worked in the past.

Given that I value a Hilton Honors point at around 0.33p, you are getting a good return on your spending here.  Someone who only ever spends one night at a time in a hotel would be earning – when you include the 10,000 bonus points per five stays – 4,000 bonus points per stay.  I would value that at £13 which is a VERY good return especially as it doesn’t include your base points or any status bonus.

If your hotel stays are generally just for one night then you should seriously consider moving them (in chunks of five) to Hilton this month.

There is no small print except that you need to register in advance via the Hilton website here.  Existing bookings count, there is no minimum stay rule and all Hilton Honors hotels are taking part.

Hilton is still status matching too.  If you have status with another hotel programme, Hilton will match you to Gold or Diamond for 90 days – I explain how to do it in this article.

The Hilton booking page is here.

Le Club AccorHotels current special offers

Le Club AccorHotels:

Le Club AccorHotels, which covers Novotel / Ibis / Mercure / M Gallery / Sofitel / Pullman / Raffles / Swissotel / Fairmont etc, has no global promotion at the moment.

There is a good niche offer, however, for your next stay:

• You MUST register via this page of the Accor site
  • You need to book by 12th May
  • Your stay must be in Europe, Middle East, Africa, French Guiana and Saint Martin (French part)
  • You can only get the bonus ONCE
  • Rooms must be 100% paid in cash, not ‘part cash, part points’
  • If you stay in April, May or June you get DOUBLE points
  • If you stay in July you get TRIPLE points
  • If you stay in August you get QUADRUPLE points

Existing bookings do NOT count. These need to be cancelled and rebooked.

What is the bonus?

Let’s look at how generous this deal could be for a Platinum top-tier member who books a stay in August.  You would receive:

• 2.5 Accor base points per €1
  • 7.5 additional Accor points per €1 as your quadruple promo bonus
  • 1.9 additional Accor points per €1 as your Platinum status bonus

That is a total of 11.9 Accor points, worth 23.8 Eurocents, per €1 spent.  On a pricey trip this could be very lucrative.

To maximise your Avios you need to send the points to Iberia Plus.  Whilst you can send them to BA, you want to credit to Iberia Plus because the exchange rate is doubled.  Accor points transfer 1:1 into Iberia Plus whilst they only transfer at 2:1 into British Airways Executive Club.  You can move them from Iberia to BA via ‘Combine My Avios’.

Don’t forget to register before booking (existing bookings will not count) via this page.

Current Marriott Bonvoy promotions

Marriott Bonvoy (Renaissance, The Ritz-Carlton, Sheraton, Westin, W, Aloft, St Regis, Luxury Collection, Moxy etc):

Marriott’s current offer is called ‘Double Take’.  You can register here.

It is valid for stays until 4th June, although registration closes on 21st May.

In theory it is very straightforward – you receive double base points on all paid stays.  Marriott has chosen to complicate matters by insisting that you only get the bonus from your second stay after registration.  This means that, if you have a very expensive Marriott stay coming up, it might make sense to do a cheap mattress run night first.

Our full article on Double Take is here.  You can register for Double Take here.  The Marriott booking page is here.

Radisson Rewards (Radisson Blu, Park Inn, Park Plaza, Radisson Red):

Radisson Rewards is not running a global promotion at present.

World of Hyatt promotions

World of Hyatt:

World of Hyatt is running a ‘per night’ bonus promotion valid across all of its brands.

Registration for this offer is now closed so it is not worth considering if you are not already signed up.

Until 15th May, you will earn 1,000 bonus points per night, increased to 1,500 at budget brands Hyatt Place and Hyatt House.

Like Marriott, Hyatt is insisting that your first stay after registration does not count.  This means that if you had a 10+ night stay coming up it might be worthwhile doing a cheap mattress run night first.  Reward nights count and will earn the 1,000 points.

Our full article on the promotions is here.

And finally …..

PS.  If you booking a luxury hotel, remember that we can offer you exclusive additional benefits at Four Seasons, Mandarin Oriental, Peninsula and similar hotels.  Click here for details of our luxury hotel booking service in association with Bon Vivant / Virtuoso.  Feedback from readers who have used this service so far has been excellent and we have booked almost £1m of rooms so far.

COME BACK AT 7pm: Join us for the launch of the new Virgin Atlantic Upper Class Suite! (EDIT: Instagram 'story' already live!)
How to use small orphan amounts of miles and points - Part 2 (Airlines and Shopping)

Comments

1. Hi has anyone had any success receiving the £75 Amex Hilton cashback offer on online spend?

• Haven’t tried this time round. Last time round I booked a non-refundable rate online and the transaction was still processed by the hotel itself so I got cashback, but that was a £100 off £400 I think

• Nick G says:

I just booked two nights at the Hilton Syon Park in the sale that ended a couple of weeks ago or so. Didn’t expect to get the £50 off again (last time I booked a non prepay rate). Received an automated email last week saying it’s been triggered but again didn’t expect it to work but the credit is now on the account.

• Works on prepaid rooms at the hotels on the list, yes.

• Tilly says:

I booked a prepay stay for next month and it triggered. I got the trigger email within 15 mins of making the booking. Credit in my account was pretty quick too, within a week.
      However, not had trigger emails for the Wheely offer and I’ve used it twice, both rides were over £40.

• Thanks all I go ahead and make the booking. Tilly the Wheely offer triggered fine for me on all 3 transactions.

• Tilly says:

Thanks Matt. Got one trigger email this afternoon from amex. Hopefully the other should be ok too.

• Fastbowler says:

I used the Wheely offer three times during mid March and it worked perfectly each time.

• My Amex offer activated after 3 stays at Hilton properties. As before the offer seems to keep track of your total spend so you don’t have to do all the spend in one shot.

2. Just completed my 4th IHG stay at the HIX Warwick/Stratford (M40 J15) for £29 which earned 75000 points (= another 5 nights in cheapo HIXes :p )

3. Degsy says:

Hi just booked on points for W Koh Samui does anyone know if breakfast is included for redemptions as I read somewhere all rooms have breakfast included? I am gold with Marriott, any tips for hotel or should I move my stay if breakfast isn’t included? Thanks

4. Andy H says:

Does anyone know anything about delays in points posting for the current Points Unlimited promo?

The 2k per stat credits immediately, but the 10k for every 10th night / 5th stay is missing.

I received the first 10k bonus in January, on the day of check-out, but I’m now owed a second and third batch. The 2nd batch was triggered on 10th Feb and the 3rd on 13th March, but still nothing?

I called, but was told they have some problems and it may take, “several weeks to resolve”

Has anyone else had this?
    Any idea what the issue is?

• Lady London says:

someone mentioned it yesterday and apparently the problems are with stays at the Hilton brand.

• Nope – 10k points promptly triggered twice over ten stays.

• Crafty says:

Mine were (twice) instant.

• Brian W says:

I had this problem on the second 10k. It was initially awarded with the rest of the stay points but then disappeared. I called and they added them manually whilst I was on the call. Award showed as “Guest Assistance Bonus”.

I was worried the 3rd 10K would fail to post as a result but it has worked as it should.

I’d call again and try a different agent.

5. Scottydogg says:

How do i transfer Marriott points between 2 accounts ?
    I have a bunch in mine and a bunch in my partners , need them both into 1 account so i can book a 3 night redemption .
    Was trying to find out online but was looking like id have to phone ? also the numbers given were american number…

6. Grant says:

I know this has been raised in the comments sections before, but I’d add my support to calls for a ‘How to’ guide on the best hotel redemption stays for families.

7. I have an expensive stay booked for Marriott so considering a mattress run before this. There are no cheap options near me and no time/energy to travel further afield. Do you think it would work if I booked a cheap room at the Heathrow Moxy (non-refundable) and check in online but don’t actually physically turn up?

• No you need to physically turn up.

• Peter 64K says:

Do you have a friend/family member who would enjoy a free hotel stay with you paying? I’ve done this before and everyone benefits.

• I’ve done this and they didn’t turn up! Didn’t let me know either till the last minute and too late to cancel. Just saying best plans and all that.

• Lady London says:

What’s your date? When does the run have to be done by?

• Thanks all – I’ve bitten the bullet on a city night away in Brum…

8. Michael says:

OT: Just (finally) applied to be upgraded to Plat from Gold Charge.

1. Does Plat give you x2 points on airline spend and x3 points on Amex travel spend?

2. Is my gold still valid until plat is approved and arrives?

9. OT: Which card should we use to pay our hotel bill in the Maldives? I have the Lloyds Avios Amex but other half is saying we should use Revolut. I havent received the Avios MasterCard yet so that means my old benefits of no FX and more Avios apply. Please advise.

• If you’ll still get the full Lloyds Amex 1.25 Avios/£ rate then it just depends what card you’d be topping Revolut up with instead! For example if using Virgin Rewards+ you’d get 1.5 VS miles/£. Also depends if trying to hit another £7k voucher with Lloyds…

• TGLoyalty says:

Answer is I guess it depends like Alan says what are you using to top up your account? Assuming its USD you can lock when the rate is high but on the flip side you are locking lots of money into revolut.

• So if I top up Revolut using Lloyds Avios Amex, there won’t be any charge and I will still earn my Avios for spend? Wouldn’t it be easier if I just use the Lloyds Avios or is the Revolut rate better? Don’t have the Virgin Atlantic one you mentioned.

• You can’t top up revolut with Amex.

• No you can only top up Revolut with Visa/MC – I was saying the Lloyds Amex is your comparator. The exchange rate will be good with either (perhaps marginally worse at the weekend with Revolut) so it all depends what card you’d be topping up Revolut with. If you don’t have VS card then unlikely you’ll beat Lloyds.

10. Mark2 says:

OT talking about Lloyds Avios card
    Has anyone else not received the letter about closing and replacing with another Mastercard.
    I have received mine and my wife has not and we are going abroad until 23rd May.

11. TGLoyalty says:

Yes not had mine

12. When do we expect Hilton to announce next promo? My stay will be from 7May. I keep planning for dates just after promo. Same happened when we checked in 2 rooms on jan 4. Had I known I would have booked them under 2 accounts

13. Has anyone had any issues registering for the marriott promotion?

It keeps bouncing me to a page with the following text when trying to register:

“We’re sorry, but there was an error in directing you to this promotion.

The reason for this error could be:

You’re trying to access a miles promotion and are a points-earner, or vice versa
    You are not eligible for this promotion
    This promotion has expired”

• James says:

I’m getting the same error message. Have just emailed customer support as I can’t see any reason why I shouldn’t be eligible.

• Tariq says:

Same – I have an exclusive promo offer on my account apparently, ‘double stay credit’