Virgin Atlantic Sale

BP leaving Nectar on 31st May

BP has confirmed it is leaving Nectar on 31st May.

As we covered in this long article back in March, there are major changes in petrol station loyalty taking place this Summer.

Shell Drivers Club is closing to be replaced by a new scheme called Shell Go+.  This is NOT points based and so you cannot earn Avios.  The last day to collect Avios from Shell Drivers Club is 30th June.  Learn more on ba.com here.

Esso is withdrawing from Tesco Clubcard.  The exact date is not known but I assume it will be 31st May.

BP is withdrawing from Nectar.  The date for this is now confirmed as 31st May.  You will not be able to earn or spend Nectar points at BP from this date.

Once this is done, Esso will be signing up with Nectar on 1st June – a move that I genuinely cannot understand, since Nectar has about as much traction with the public as a greasy pole.  You can already register your Nectar number via the Esso app.

BP leaving Nectar on 31st May

In terms of points collection opportunities:

Avios collectors can only collect at Tesco filling stations, via Clubcard conversions.  You will no longer be able to earn via Shell Drivers Club or Esso.

Virgin Flying Club collectors can only collect at Tesco filling stations, via Clubcard conversion.  You will no longer be able to earn via Esso.  The Texaco / Virgin Atlantic partnership ended last year.

Nectar collectors cannot earn at BP from 30th May but will be able to collect at Esso from 1st June.

We will cover this again in more detail nearer to the time that Shell Drivers Club closes.

You can learn more about the end of the Avios / Shell partnership on this special page of ba.com.

When your Le Club AccorHotels points expire, and how to stop it
British Airways confirms an A350 and Club Suite for Tel Aviv

IHG Sale

Comments

1. Last date for collecting Nectar with BP is the 31st May – Confirmed by Nectar on Twitter yesterday, it is a bit confusing as they said Midnight on the 31st which would mean 00:00 but they confirmed that they actually meant 23:59 on the 31st May which would be Midnight on the 1st.

• Having the same problem with Watford council. They’re double dipping on council tax every time I get new tenants moving but low level bureaucrats aren’t the brightest.

• Qwerty Bertie says:

Nor are the high level ones. I have it in writing from an LA head of planning that something requires planning permission, despite it being a blatant case of something which cannot be construed as development ergo does not fall within the Act. I’ve done it anyway, and there hasn’t been a peep.

• Lady London says:

Maybe they got the idea off the DVLA – the DVLA ensures a single vehicle must pay the tax twice in the same month whenever its owner changes — both the outgoing and incoming owner must pay a full month’s tax. Perhaps your LA think this should apply to homes too?

2. GRIMZ says:

OT, I have an Amex SPG card but not a Starwood rewards account and my points are disappearing from my Amex SPG? I do have a Marriott Bonvoy account but the points are not arriving into my Bonvoy account. Any idea what I need to do to get my Starwood points?

• Genghis says:

Call Amex?

• Luckyjim says:

I had the same issue. I’d lost access to my Starwood account because of something Marriott did – email address can only be associated with one Starwood or Bonvoy account. Amex were able to provide the Starwood number associated with my SPG amex via chat. I then asked Bonvoy to merge this orphaned account into my Bonvoy account. Only took a couple of days and all my old points came across.

• My partner had to resolve similar issues yesterday. Despite having entered his Marriott number they opened a new account for him. A call to Marriott quickly located the new account number for him but they would not merge them, they said he had to use the combine accounts form online himself. To get a little sillier still, he had to enter his old Marriott account details into the old SPG fields in the form. It is not instant, he has to wait about 5 days for it to happen.

• mark2 says:

The Marriott number is on the Amex statement where It shows how many points you have earned

3. O/T- I have a few questions regarding a tiny number of IHG points and as I’ve been out of the game for a bit I wanted to check that my logic is still sound.

I (or the wife) could really use 15000 IHG points urgently. Neither my wife or I have any virgin miles – seems I let them expire. Whoops.

My wife has about £53 in tesco vouchers (remember those?!) and a meagre 7k MR points. I have no tesco vouchers (let them expire too it seems! Really taken my eye off the ball in recent years) and virtually no MR points.
    Neither of us currently has the IHG credit card but we wouldn’t trigger the spending bonus in time if we were to apply today. I am spire and my wife is the basic level.

Ideally we would move points into my IHG account as I have 1500 left (it all helps!) but as I don’t want to pay the transfer fee I don’t think that is possible. So my only option, I think, is to convert my wife’s tesco and amex points to her virgin miles account and then transfer virgin miles to her IHG points account. I think I’d need all £53 of the tesco vouchers and about 2500 of the amex points to get 15000 virgin miles which converts to the 15000 IHG points.

Am I missing a trick here or is that the way to do this? I know the Amex—> virgin bit should be instant but how long should I allow for tesco–> virgin and virgin –> IHG? As an aside it used to be the case that you could “buy” IHG points at very low cost through part-cash-part-points bookings and cancel. I have had a look but cannot seem to get anything like the value that I once could doing this – is that route dead now?

Two other quick checks:
    – I don’t think I can use points to pay for the room+parking offers they do
    – I think that a cash+points booking is a qualifying stay for accelerate.

Any help gratefully received!

• Rooster says:

-No can’t use points to pay for a parking deal
      -cash+points doesn’t count for accelerate only if your target was to use cash+points

• Rooster says:

If you do have a cash+points accelerate target then this is credited very quickly apparently so might be an option

• that is a good point – not sure what my wife’s target is… I will check. mine is awesome – 84,400 for 2 weekend stays as long as i do bonus points bookings and the stays are at different brands.

• pablo says:

Points + cash is still available but you need at least 5000 points to be able to book. Holiday Inn Express Chicago Rolling Mdws-Schaumburg 5k+$63 ($63 buys you 10k points), Holiday Inn express Bradford 10k+$30 ($30 earns you 5k points)

• pablo says:

Or try to register for this 10k bonus offer https://www.ihg.com/rewardsclub/gb/en/offers/promoreg/?offerCode=70148
      and if it works do a cheap mattress run this weekend.

• Shoestring says:

ask Tesco CS to check both your a/cs for expired vouchers – they have been un-expiring them on request

4. Qwerty Bertie says:

If it’s urgent, wouldn’t buying some or all of the points from IHG be worth considering?

• thanks. by urgent, i mean in the next 3-4 days. I think my plan of doing tesco and mR points works, and hopefully in that timeframe. i was just checking i was not missing a trick and that there were not more ways to do it. I don’t really want to waste MR points even though the balance is tiny, and 1mr point per 1 ihG point seems a bit rubbish. if i can buy iHG points at less then 0.5p I will.

5. Hi Rob
    I received the following email from Tesco yesterday:
    We wanted to let you know about some changes to where you can collect Clubcard points on fuel.

The good news is that you’ll still be able to collect Clubcard points on fuel at all Esso petrol stations with a Tesco Express and all Tesco petrol stations. This means you can still collect points at over 700 petrol stations across the UK.

However, from 1 June, you’ll no longer be able to collect Clubcard points at Esso stations where there is no Tesco. Please click here for more details.

6. OT: Anybody seen any sign of clubcard coversion bonus, competitions etc for BA or Virgin this quarter?

7. BrotherBear says:

I booked a BA RFS reward flight last June (booked as 2 one ways) for me and the wife to fly at the end of this month.

In October last year I received a flight change notification changing airports from Heathrow to Gatwick as well as to move the flight times by between 1-3 hours.

Last month I received more notifications of further flight time changes albeit between 15-20 minutes each flight.

We are no longer going on this trip and so I wish to cancel the booking and get a return of my Avios and taxes.

I’ve just tried to cancel the flights online and on both legs it is trying to charge me a cancellation fee equal to the taxes originally paid for each booking.

I thought I was entitled to a full refund of Avios and taxes paid in the event that there are changes to flight times etc?

Thanks in advance

• Genghis says:

If change is 2 hours+ it’s classified as “significant” and you’re entitled to a refund. If so, call BA.

• Shoestring says:

Unfortunately BA don’t treat moving you from Heathrow to Gatwick as a significant change but you can argue the point on the phone & I understand they often concede the point and let you cancel for free

• Did you accept the October changes? If so BA will argue the latest change is not significant. Hopefully you didn’t inadvertently accept them.

• BrotherBear says:

Thanks all

Called up a short while ago and helpful lady cancelled the flights with a full refund of Avios and cash without me needing to argue anything.

8. Lloyd says:

O/T: Is anyone else having trouble logging into the BA shopping site?

9. krys_k says:

OT. Topping up Revolut with new Virgin CC. Has anyone done this? Does it post as a purchase or cash advance?
    Thanks.

• stevenhp1987 says:

Purchase

• YNWII says:

what about IHG’s card? Purchase or advance?

• Grant says:

Purchase, but you’ll struggle to load up more than £250 per day from IHG

• Jonathan says:

I called Creation re the IHG card. Revolut topups falls into a cash transaction category and so has £250 a day/£700 a week rolling limit. But it doesn’t attract interest or anything. I asked if that limit can be charged and was told no.

• krys_k says:

Great. Thanks. How much are you able to load up at any one time ? Is there a weekly monthly limit in your experience?

• stevenhp1987 says:

It starts at £250 per day but can go higher as you use it. Revolut will ask for docs every £25k or so and will potentially ban you if you are just cycling cash.

• Can you top up Revolut with the HH visa? I was using Curve to top up Cash Passport but it’s not accepted it the last few times I tried. I need a new 0% FX option when the Lloyds cards finally go but am loath to resort to any methods which don’t earn points!

10. AndyF says:

AMEX buying up a restaurant table reservation platform. Probably in a hope to boost their Platinum card offering on the concierge side.

• Shoestring says:

Crazy valuation – I make that possibly north of $80-100m

for giving some reservations to 4000 signed up restaurants?

• Shoestring says:

Any guesses at Amex’s strategy here? LoungeBuddy only accepts reservations with an Amex card.
        Amex has also acquired Resy (ie this news), PocketConcierge, Cake (a UK restaurant billpay start-up). All hospitality acquisitions.

Are they all to become Amex exclusives? Ie added value for cardholders, another way to justify the card fee?

‘The Resy acquisition fits into AmEx’s campaign to reclaim its place in the hearts (and wallets) of power diners since the launch of Chase’s Sapphire Reserve, which became the overwhelmingly preferred credit card of millennials who spend everything they earn on avocado toast and Airbnbs abroad. Last year, AmEx launched a revived (rose) gold card that offered quadruple points on dining, and a $120 credit toward meals at Shake Shack or via GrubHub and Seamless.

While Resy has moved away from requiring users to pay for reservations, it had already offered exclusive deals to AmEx holders, like special tables and early access to ticketed events. “Our plan is to continue to have Resy be open and to the public so anyone can use it to book restaurants,” Chris Cracchiolo, American Express’s SVP of global loyalty and benefits, told Fast Company. “Over time, we will look to bring some of those capabilities into the AmEx ecosystem.” ‘

• Perhaps I’m missing something obvious but how could they be amex exclusives when the likes of LoungeBuddy for example use third party lounges? Why would they even want to curtail potential income by making them amex exclusive?

• Shoestring says:

Yep I think the logic is somewhat flawed. You don’t need LoungeBuddy to buy a lounge pass. You don’t/ won’t need Resy to get you into a top restaurant – there are other apps (eg OpenTable).

But think of wealthier (more desirable) Amex cardholders than you & myself – will they grow to rely on Amex to ‘concierge’ them in life? It could be a very soft benefit compared to (say) car hire insurance – but appreciated nonetheless.

And as soft benefits can be judged in ways other that bringing hard cash to Amex, such as usage over time, Amex can convince itself it is retaining the most desirable of cardholders – & growing them through word of mouth I guess. Plus the odd ad extolling the concierge advantages of Amex membership.

• Must be all that money they’re saving from the new sign up rules!

11. I had the 12% offer on my Club Lloyds Current account