Kimpton Blythswood Square in Glasgow now open

IHG has now officially rebranded its Blythswood Square property in Glasgow as Kimpton Blythswood Square Hotel following the completion of refurbishment work.

This makes it the second Kimpton property in Scotland, following the Kimpton Charlotte Square in Edinburgh, and the 3rd in the UK following Kimpton Fitzroy in Russell Square, London.  I wrote about my tour of Kimpton London here.

Kimpton Blythswood Square hotel glasgow

Blythswood Square was the only AA-ranked five star hotel in Glasgow.  Whilst I can’t comment on the location or service, the photographs – see above and below – look very impressive, with the usual ‘budget no problem’ approach that former owner Principal Hotels applied to all of its UK renovations.

Kimpton Blythswood Square London open

The IHG website has yet to be updated – if you look at the booking page here it is still unbranded.

As an alternative, my recent review of IHG’s Hotel Indigo Glasgow is here.

IHG summer sale now on
More petrol Avios-earning confusion!

Comments

1. qwertyknowsbest says:

Can anyone advise if an Ambassador free night certificate can be used beyond 12 months from issue provided the booking is within the 12 months?

Appreciate any confirmation.

• Jim Thompson says:

You’ll now see the expiry date very clearly if you login to your account. There’s a new ‘Ambassador Complimentary Weekend Night’ section which shows the expiry date.

• I doubt it, since it is redeemed when you actually stay at the hotel, rather than when you book.

• No, stay must be before expiry date.

• Alejandro says:

I have booked a stay at IC Amstel Amsterdam using an Ambassador free night certificate but my travel plans have changed so need to cancel. Will I lose the Ambassador free night certificate if cancelled? Can’t find anything in T&C. Thank you

• Jason says:

Hi have managed it once a couple of years ago when the hotel didn’t notice when I handed it…I had a covered with a voucher in date

2. Blythswood Square is in the city centre but not very convenient for Merchant City, railway or bus stations, or airport bus. On the plus side it is convenient for anybody going to a show at King’s, or visiting the Mitchel Library, Tenement house museum amongst others. Shopping-wise, it’s close to Sauchiehall Street, and not too far from Royal Concert Hall and Buchanan Galleries. I would just like to suggest that readers not overlook the IHG Grand Central hotel, I always had a soft spot for this old dame, even before the refurbishment, the location cannot be beaten and the prices can be amazing value. So anybody wanting an old-time railway travel experience complete with railway hotel, this is a great option.

• It’s just over a 5 minute walk to Charing Cross station & a 10 minute walk to Queen St Station

• Blythswood Square is not a bad location. The Royal Concert Hall is across the road from Buchanan Street Bus Station, and it’s 10mins away, and Queen Street Train Station is about a 10min walk straight down West George Street.

The airport bus stops 5 mins away on Waterloo Street on the way to the airport and stops 5 mins away on Bothwell Street going into Glasgow. It’s also about a 10 mins walk to Buchanan Street underground Station which gets you to the West End.

• RussellH says:

It is interesting how things change. It is a pleasant location these days, but in the early 1980s I often found myself walking between Queen St Station and the Goethe Institut on Park Circus. Sometimes a diversion would take me across Blythswood Square – it could be a quite unsettling experience. Though there was one member of our class who often went there very deliberately after we had had a quick drink somewhere else…

• Shoestring says:

Hampstead Heath of Glasgow?

• RussellH says:

Well, it is not a heath, being in the city centre, and G was looking for ladies, while I have always had the impression that Hampstead Heath was favoured by gentlemen.

• That’s exactly what he meant but before you ask I wasn’t Russell’s friend, and my knowledge of either place is entirely second hand for want of a better expression 🙂

3. PaulW says:

Hilton has summer sale live too. Given the accelerate targets I had were so crap I know where my money is going!

• The Streets says:

I was gutted about the latest Hilton points devaluation such as the one in Kuala Lumpur

4. Jamie says:

The website still doesn’t let me register for Accelerate; given my trips plans for next month, this will be an IHG own goal.

• My partner has same problem. No idea if it is a glitch or intentional.

• Apparently it is now a targeted promotion not available to all members per this tweet from the IHG service twitter:

Would Rob be able to get some further information on this? Would be a worrying development if true..

• That’s nonsense.

• RedEyeDonkey says:

It may be but… quite a few folks seem to not be able to register for it (me included) so if it’s not targeted now it’s unofficially targeted via IT issues…

• Fenny says:

I tried to register on several occasions, but couldn’t. Complete own goal from IHG. Although I’m not planning any stays in the near future, I wouldn’t use them as first choice now.

I did have a 3 night booking with them in London in early June, but plans changed and I only needed one night. As I had Melia points that were expiring, I’ve ended up switching my booking to the White House.

• Charlieface says:

+1 I also can’t register. They need to sort this

• Also couldn’t register (as a relatively new account) but received a different ‘New Member Offer’ that has an Accelerate style dashboard and bonus for completing all the targets.

5. Navara says:

The Esso -Nectar answer maybe to use your Tesco Creditcard and swipe your Nectar card

6. David says:

Tesco clubcard points will still be available at all Esso Tesco Express sites. Nectar points will be given at the majority of Esso sites apart from approx. 200 sites who have chosen to not participate in the Esso Nectar Programme – these sites will not issue Clubcard points either.

7. Lochlann says:

When I was involved in a long-term project in Glasgow a few years ago that involved lots of overnight trips a few of the senior people involved got the Blythswood added to our approved hotel list – it’s good. Didn’t have a gym as I recall, but had some deal with one nearby that you could access.

8. Luckyjim says:

Has anyone ever managed to get free room under IHG’s Best Price Guarantee by booking a room just before the sale starts?

• Jonathan says:

You don’t get a free room, just the difference between price paid & cheaper price refunded plus 5x points for the stay (approx 20% rebate at 0.4p/point). You also have to find the cheaper price with a non IHG site I believe. It’s a lot more complicated than Hotels.com scheme but I’ve found in the USA particularly it’s pretty easy to find a cheaper rate for Kimpton’s. Make sure you read & follow exactly the T&C’s though as they give you no leeway (& expect to chase the refund/extra points).

• luckyjim says:

Interesting. When did that change I wonder?

I used to get free rooms all the time but it became almost impossible a few years ago with their dirty tricks.

• Years ago. A guy I know got over 100 free nights out of it …. I got IC Cannes and IC Paris for free during that period – Paris was a junior suite.

9. PaulC says:

O/T I know its probably been asked a thousand times before but please could someone list what benefits you keep or lose when you cancel a Platinum card?

10. Donna says:

O/T I cancelled my BAPP six months ago. If I apply again now, can I still earn a 2-4-1 voucher? (I know I wont get a sign-up bonus). Thanks.

11. David S says:

OT: Noticed today that Lloyds have changed my account number online and refunded £10 of my annual fee. Haven’t received any new cards. Do I still get the 1.25 Avios per £1 on my Amex till I get my new cards since the card number on my app does not match my Amex anymore.

• Roberto says:

Pass.. Anything can happen with lloyds.
      I have not had my new cards but have been charged overseas FX fee whilst using the old cards – what a crock , Lloyds really dont know how to do customer satisfaction.

• David S says:

Hi Roberto, this is exactly what I am concerned about. I have an overseas trip coming up and was hoping to use my Lloyds card mainly for the 0% FX fees but now, am concerned since communication has been abysmal.

• roberto says:

If you have had your refund on the annual fee and see a new card number online I would guess that your WILL be charged for using the cards (unless you link them to curve).

I have been charged about £9 FX fees from my latest statement dated on the 12th – not had the new card yet and their letter advising me of the changes did not give a definite date so I fail to see how this could stick should I be bothered to push back.

• Jonathan says:

New card comes in the post about 3 weeks after switchover. You can continue to use your old MasterCard temporarily but at the new earning rate. The Amex is cancelled.

• roberto says:

I used the Amex.

• Reeferman says:

I reported on this a day or two ago as I had the same experience.
            I was (and still am) overseas, so no idea if my new card has arrived in UK – but it is showing on line. I have been using my existing card and saw online that I have been charged commission.
            I rang Lloyds and they refunded the fees for the existing billing period – but not for the new one. Not sure of the logic!

• I’ve not had my letter from Lloyd’s yet. Current cards working fine but Amex declined twice this week. Just on the phone with them and the CSA says they have no closed all the Amexes! I pointed out that I haven’t even had my letter, let alone my 60 days’ notice. CSA clearly didn’t know what he was talking about and transferred me to the fraud department – even though it was nothing to do with them. Just waiting for someone else now. Feel a letter to the Ombudsman coming on!