It’s the last day to buy Avios with a 50% bonus

Today, Tuesday 21st, is your last chance to take advantage of the current British Airways ‘buy Avios’ bonus.

You will receive 50% bonus Avios when you buy or gift points.

This is as high a bonus as we see these days and there is no minimum purchase.  The bonus kicks in with the smallest 1,000 Avios transaction.  You need to visit ba.com via this page in order to buy.

British Airways has increased the number of Avios you can buy under this deal – the cap is now 200,000 points per year!  This means that, with the bonus, you will receive 300,000 Avios for a whopping £3,215.

This is not necessarily a great idea as the best value is generally obtained by buying a small number of Avios to top off your account.  If you saw me on BBC1’s Rip Off Britain last year (you can watch the segment here, it is only 3 minutes long) you will know that one of the members of the public I tried to help had bought 100,000 Avios for £1,600 without fully understand the restrictions behind them.

50% buy Avios bonus

What does it cost?

In general, you will pay around 1.1p per Avios under this offer.  Based on my spreadsheet of the last 7 million Avios I redeemed, I got 1.15p of value.  This is using very conservative valuations for the flights booked, eg I value a Business Class flight to Dubai at £1,500 because even if BA isn’t charging that there is usually a deal with a secondary airline.

I am not a buyer at 1.1p.  However, as my core article on ‘What is an Avios worth?’ shows, it is easy to get a lot more than 1.1p.  My valuation is low because I do a lot of Gold Priority Rewards (using double Avios to force open a seat, mainly due to school holiday restrictions) and don’t always have a BA Amex 2-4-1 voucher to use.  I also tend to use Avios irrespective of the value, because I am sitting on a lot of them.  If you are strategic you should do far better than me.

The link to buy is here.

What is the future of business class and premium economy (including my BBC TV interview)?
Get 500 bonus Accor points on your next stay

IHG Sale

Comments

1. 30% bonus to transfer from radisson to airline, worth it? got 10k there…

2. Graham Walsh says:

Amazing news. We’re putting Mumbai back on our route map from 27th October 2019, with a daily service from
    @HeathrowAirport
    : (link: https://virg.in/Mumbai) virg.in/Mumbai

Booking opens on Tuesday 28th May. Will you be joining us? ✈️ 🇮🇳

3. Michael says:

OT: How do I get a curve limit increase? I’m at 7k ish now and will be approaching the 10k soon.

4. illuminatus says:

OT – just received a good offer from Beer52, stacks nicely with Amex offer. https://www.beer52.com/bhm25

• John F says:

Which amex offer? I knew of one a month or two ago, but don’t know of any current offer?

5. OT in bits – Does anyone know if you can cancel half a Gold Priority Reward (it is less than 30 days until the flight). Booked return GPR to SPU when prices were sky high but now cheaper availability on just the outbound with inbound sold out. With thanks

6. James says:

OT. When I spend the required amount to trigger the BA 2-4-1 voucher, can I cancel the card and reapply shortly afterwards in order to receive another voucher in the same year?

7. roberto says:

Worzel – Thanks for the MT life policy hat tip on snapcracklepop. Went all in for 6 months today for net two fat ladies profit. Showing tracked already and hope it sticks but for a couple of quid it was worth the risk.

8. Keith says:

OT:

Does anyone know how to get Chat to work on the amex website.

Have tried Safari, Chrome and Internet Explorer and the buffer circle just goes round-and-round.

Any tips?

• Informed says:

Count yourself fortunate. The ‘chat’ facility (offshore staffing) is worse than useless.
      I’d strongly suggest you make contact by telephone.

• Peter K says:

Go to “help” then in the next box UNDER the live chat Spiral of Doom click on contact us. This takes you to a page where there is an option there to “start live chat”.

• I’m having loads of trouble with the Amex website this evening – doesn’t load properly (error messages from Amex saying they can’t display account information), so perhaps they are having issues which are affecting chat too.

• Charlieface says:

Turn off adblock and allow all cookies

9. anyone know any codes/cash back or extra mile offers for emiratesholidays i am about to spend a fair few quid ?

10. Any thoughts on Loungepass lounges in LHR T4 or Mexico City T2. My daughter is trying to decide whether to use her Amex Gold Card Loungepass pre departure on an evening flight from London this Thursday or whilst killing 6 hours early morning waiting for a connection in Mexico City. Anyone any experience of either lounge?

• Shoestring says:

I’d use it twice, ie free one in T4 then use it again (she’ll get charged £20) in Mexico.

In 6 hours she could easily eat & drink £20-worth

• Michael says:

I’d use it in the 6 hour wait for sure.

11. Shoestring says:

RYANAIR boss Michael O’Leary has predicted “a wave of EU airline failures” in the coming months and singled out Norwegian Airlines and Thomas Cook as “the two obvious ones hanging on by their fingernails”.

• Devastating insight there, given that both are already in serious trouble 🙂

• Michael says:

To be fair to Norwegian I think they have the scope to be large and profitable but have expanded too quickly and haven’t been helped by 787/737MAX issues.