BA Sale

New No 1 lounge at Luton only accepting DragonPass – no Priority Pass or Lounge Club accepted

No 1 Lounges has revealed more information on its new Luton lounge.

We recently ran an article on the top new UK airport lounge openings planned for H2 2019.  One of those was the new Clubrooms lounge at Luton.

This is an odd one.  Luton has one lounge, the recently refurbished Aspire which we reviewed here.  It is decent but frequently overcrowded.

It was therefore good news when No 1 Lounges decided to invest in Luton.  What no-one quite understands, however, is why it has gone for its premium Clubrooms format, with table service and a la carte dining.

No 1 is now taking bookings from 1st July for the new Luton Clubrooms.

For bookings by 23rd June, for visits until the year end, you can save 33% (£24, down from £36) by using code LUTON24You need to book via this page here.

Got a lounge club card?  You’re out of luck – with one exception.

Only holders of DragonPass – which is mainly NatWest Black cardholders – can pay £15 to reserve a spot in Clubrooms.  This option is not available to Priority Pass, Lounge Club or LoungeKey customers.  You can reserve your spot here.

I would be very surprised if DragonPass cardholders were allowed free entry in Luton on a walk-up basis, given the £15 reservation fee.  I would imagine a top-up payment will be required.

Note that no children under 5 are allowed, and parents with children over 5 may be seated together and kept away from other guests (read the T&Cs!).

We will pop along and take a look in early July to let you know if it is worth the money or not!

Clubrooms lounge Luton Airport opening

Getting airport lounge access via a UK credit card

As a reminder, here are the three options to get FREE airport lounge access via a credit or charge card:

The Platinum Card from American Express

Two free Priority Pass cards (one for you, one for your supplementary Platinum cardholder, each admitting two – so a family of four gets in free) giving access to every lounge in the Priority Pass network – search it here.  You also get access to Plaza Premium, Delta and Eurostar lounges.  Our American Express Platinum review is here.

American Express Preferred Rewards Gold

You get a Lounge Club card loaded with two free visits to any Lounge Club network lounge – see the list here.  The list is slightly shorter than the Priority Pass list, but not by much.  Additional visits are charged at £20 per person.  You get two more free visits for every year you keep the card.  No annual fee in Year 1.  Full details are in our American Express Preferred Rewards Gold review here.

HSBC Premier World Elite Mastercard

You get a free LoungeKey card allowing you access to any property in the LoungeKey network.  Guests are charged at £20 although regular travellers will find it cheaper to pay £60 for a supplementary credit card (adults only, of course).  The card has an annual fee of £195 and there are strict financial requirements to become a HSBC Premier customer.  Full details are in my HSBC Premier World Elite Mastercard review.

Thistle Hotels launch a flash sale
British Airways running a 'fear of flying' course in London

BA Sale

Comments

1. At Bangkok DMK I found that Miracle lounges no longer accept LongeBiddy since amex takeover. I’m guessing it is the same at other Miracle lounges. It also seems that amex might be the only acceptable form of card payment at LoungeBuddy sites and app. If so it seems odd as it would almost certainly cost them business.

2. Chris L says:

I stayed at the Thistle T5 last week. Quick tip – book a king room or better. These are refurbished and are much more modern than the room reviewed by Rob. Also, if you have a lot of luggage you should be able to insist on a ground floor room. There is no lift!

• David says:

An airport hotel with no lift?! Who on earth signed that off?

• David says:

It’s a very old building – and there is only the ground and the first floor.

• It’s not Victorian 🙂

The corridors are pretty long as well.

• David says:

True. You could easily fit a lift to it.

• I went to a kids birthday party last year and the house had a lift ….

• Chris L says:

I saw quite a funny exchange between a guest and one of the reception staff there. They’re clearly told to inform all guests that there is no lift and to offer help with luggage. This particular guest said ‘yes please, I’ve got a lot of luggage’ but the receptionist just looked at him blankly – clearly they’re told to offer help but there’s no one who is actually available to provide this help! After an awkward silence the receptionist then offered to move the guest to a ground floor room. The guest, who was understandably quite bewildered at the point, agreed that this would be a good idea.

3. Shoestring says:

See my post yesterday on how to get Dragonpass for No1 entry for £20 – 2 different codes available. Good for No1 T3 .

4. Roger says:

UK Amex Platinum – Plaza Premium

Is it card holder plus 1 free guest or 2 guests?

• Dave Barron says:

Cardholder plus 1 guest. However if you have a supplementary platinum card holder then 4 can get in

• Chris L says:

It’s only two floors, but I agree, a bit of an oversight! Pretty much the only thing it has going for it is access to the T5 pods, which is why I chose it, plus the rooms rates are pretty low. There’s also a passable restaurant with good runway views and a terrace if that’s your thing. Interestingly, when I was staying, there was a big wedding there. The couple were having their photos taken with the planes in the background!

• 1 guest

5. Stu N says:

OT: Any bright ideas on how to stop Hertz points expiring? I have 900 points that expire in August – they actually emailed me to remind me. No plans to rent a car and there doesn’t seem to be any “transfer out” options.

• David says:

You can transfer out in chunks of 600 – I think I transferred to IHG (1:1). There’s an HfP article on it somewhere…

• Stu N says:

Doesn’t seem to be an option on my account page – I had found something suggesting you could send to Marriott which would be better than nothing. I wondered if hotel transfers were no longer possible.

• Took me ages to work this out too, something has changed. If you login via the US site, the option appears. I’ve also read you have to be 5* or Presidents Circle now too, but don’t know for sure,

• Stu N says:

Ah – will give that a go, thanks. I’m Five Star via Amex Plat so hopefully that’s not an obstacle.

• Charlieface says:

Five star gets free extra driver (anyone not just spouse) so could book a one day for someone else at exactly 900 points.

6. Interesting timing of the announcement of the FoF course at LCY around the same time as the order of 737MAX…

• Ha. Good point.

Interestingly enough, another blog referenced the fact that the deal has been made for 737-8 & 737-10 rather than using the name MAX. Interesting tactic and clearly an attempt at rebranding. I’m sure Rob will write about this.

7. In applying for the IHG status match to Spire from HH Diamond yesterday (thanks for info) I noticed, while taking a screenshot of my Hilton status, a whole list of codes on the card page (35 in total) and wondered if anyone here is able to explain their significance or point me in the direction of finding out as Google was no help. The list begins with PTUMAN2, PTUMAN2, GMGL3, CP3X and so on, ending with Team member BABM, SMR2 and a few others after that. Any ideas?

8. Craig says:

OT: Fraudulent transaction just appeared on my BA Amex, taxi service in Estonia.

9. OT: Virgin have contacted me for proof of ID and evidence of funds. I know others have been contacted, I don’t have an issue with sending this but just wanted to ask how common it is. Also has it been a straightforward process?

Strange as I have not been putting a massive amount through the card…

• Shoestring says:

Could just be a random Know Your Customer ‘cover backside for the regulator’ exercise

• Charlieface says:

It’s quite rare with other providers but there’s been a few reports recently with VM.
      If you refuse they will probably close your card but there’s no possibilty of being blacklisted. But giving them incorrect info and they realise may get you on the CIFAS blacklist and you could lose all your credit cards and current accounts even with other banks.

• Thanks guys, I’ll provide them the right info and lets see what they come back with

10. Stella64 says:

I have never understood why someone scared of flying would wish to get on a plane full of other people scared of flying. A close friend attended the course last year. She said it was fantastic. All was going well until the flight, 5 minutes into the flight someone got very upset. This was enough to upset my friend and she was back to square one.

Obviously I recognise the commercial realities of why BA would want to have a group for a course like this.

Does anyone know of a more bespoke option – one where you can fly with trained people – but without the fellow flying-averse passengers?

11. Robert says: