BA sale

American Express is removing Priority Pass restaurant access

The Platinum Card from American Express comes with two Priority Pass airport lounge access cards, one for you and one for your supplementary Platinum cardholder.  This allows each of you to get two people into any of the 1,200 airport lounges in the Priority Pass network.

(You can find full details on Priority Pass here – you can buy one separately without having to take out an Amex Platinum card.)

Over recent years, Priority Pass has been adding restaurant partners too.  Instead of visiting a lounge, you can visit a restaurant in your departure terminal and receive a £15 discount on your bill per person.  A lot of people found this more attractive than visiting a lounge – and, in fact, you could do both!  Priority Pass does not limit the number of different lounges or participating restaurants you can visit in the same trip.

American Express is removing Priority Pass restaurant access

American Express is now removing the restaurant benefit from UK issued Platinum cards.  From 1st August, you will no longer be able to claim a credit in participating restaurants even if the restaurant is still listed on the Priority Pass website.

There is one relevant exception.  The only UK restaurant participating in the scheme, the Grain Store Café & Bar at Gatwick South, will be retained, at least for UK cardholdersWe looked at The Grain Store here.

I am guessing that, following the recent sharp increase in the Platinum fee, Amex did not want to be seen to be removing key benefits so soon.  A handful of other restaurants globally will also be retained although there is no list.

There is now a problem, in that the Priority Pass website is no longer an accurate guide as to what you can access with an American Express-issued Priority Pass.  You need to use the ‘Find A Lounge’ function on the Amex website – click here – which is the only place you can see which restaurants will still accept your Amex-issued Priority Pass card.

American Express is removing Priority Pass restaurant access

Getting airport lounge access via a UK credit card

As a reminder, here are the three options to get FREE airport lounge access via a credit or charge card:

The Platinum Card from American Express

Two free Priority Pass cards (one for you, one for your supplementary Platinum cardholder, each admitting two – so a family of four gets in free) giving access to every lounge in the Priority Pass network – search it here.  You also get access to Plaza Premium, Delta and Eurostar lounges.  Our American Express Platinum review is here.

American Express Preferred Rewards Gold

You get a Lounge Club card loaded with two free visits to any Lounge Club network lounge – see the list here.  The list is slightly shorter than the Priority Pass list, but not by much.  Additional visits are charged at £20 per person.  You get two more free visits for every year you keep the card.  No annual fee in Year 1.  Full details are in our American Express Preferred Rewards Gold review here.

HSBC Premier World Elite Mastercard

You get a free LoungeKey card allowing you access to any property in the LoungeKey network.  Guests are charged at £20 although regular travellers will find it cheaper to pay £60 for a supplementary credit card (adults only, of course).  The card has an annual fee of £195 and there are strict financial requirements to become a HSBC Premier customer.  Full details are in my HSBC Premier World Elite Mastercard review.

Virgin Atlantic's new A350 Upper Class Suite is now bookable!
Tonight is Head for Points Summer Party night!

Hilton India and SEA sale
BA sale

Comments

1. Farah says:

OT – Going to India at the end of July and looking for a tour group to cover the golden triangle with. Any recommendations for honest, good tour guides/operators?

Thanks!

• Sanya says:

I know a friend who organized it all through Trailfinders in the UK and had a great experience.

• We (a couple) booked through a small local agent based in Jaipur. After an initial contact I emailed an outline itinerary (the main sights in Rajasthan) and mentioned that we wished to stay in some Oberoi hotels en route. After some back and forth we finally fixed the itinerary, including some additional items he suggested (for example an overnight camp at Chhatra Sagar – which was stunning!).He did all the bookings – including internal flights – and provided a car and driver for the 9-10 days. At each major stop we were met by a local English speaking guide, who liaised with the driver at each location. This was in 2016.

Despite my initial reservations (selected just by reading some excellent reviews on Tripadvisor) the whole trip ran like clockwork and was all we could have hoped for. The owner (Sabu) was very attentive and kept in close touch with his driver throughout. His communications with us setting up the trip was excellent – seemingly available 24hrs a day!

More recently (this April) we were in Chennai for a week and I approached him re a 2-3 day local itinerary. Although a long way from his base in Rajasthan he organised everything on a similar basis as before – faultless.

The name is Icon India Tours: http://www.iconindiatours.com/index/
      Sabu will tailor your trip to what you want.
      There are one or two other similar sites around (eg Iconic India Tours) – so check the links carefully!

• We are looking at booking a 3 week tour for Feb next year so will send them an email and see what we can organise. Their 3 week trip is different to the one I was looking at with another company but their itinerary has drastically changed since the downfall of Jet Airways.

• Leafwarbler says:

We used a well known company for a Golden Triangle trip a few years ago. We fell in love with India; not so much with the travel company. We’ve used Indian Panorama since for a bespoke 4 week tour of Tamil Nadu, Kerala and Karnataka, and last November a wildlife tour of Pench and Satpura ending in Ahmedabad. I’ve been very happy with all aspects of their service. Excellent communication, seamless transfers and reasonable prices.

2. barnaby100 says:

Thanks to the bastard who stole my phone. I hope that getting a 4 year old iPhone is worth it.

As you will see from the texts I was in a conversation with my husband as he sat having chemotherapy. I have also not got my train ticket to get home

But hey you enjoy it!

• TGLoyalty says:

Sorry to hear about your phone. Hopefully it was registered with find my iPhone so it can be erased blocked etc

• Kevin C says:

I’m sorry you lost your phone. Were you at the party? There was an announcement about a found phone I think. With apologies if I have got that wrong (I was at the back of the room).

• barnaby100 says:

Yes. Just after 6pm, I left it on the badge table, walked off for a couple of minutes, realised came back and it was gone. Alerted event staff and hotel staff but no luck I am afraid.

So that as a very expensive night with phone, train costs and lost income as I cant work on the train. Plus a lovely walk home at the end of the journey at midnight as I can’t call a taxi.

They found a different phone that was shown to me but it wasn’t mine sadly.

• Concerned says:

A significant PR fail for HFP.

• Yorkieflyer says:

I think that’s a little unfair!

• barnaby100 says:

That is unfair. there were less than 50 guests in the room at the time although it slowed up quickly. 1st phone loss in 25 years.

• The Rachel / Tim phone was in Rhys’s pocket. We said during the raffle we had it. I assumed it had been claimed, we even made a 2nd announcement when we saw a text pop up saying ‘Hi Rachel’.

• Kevin C says:

How awful. I hope someone finds it.

• Jay H says:

Sorry to hear about your phone! I also misplaced mine at the event but thankfully there was a more positive outcome for me.

• barnaby100 says:

Maybe your wa step one that they offered me? Black case?

• Jay H says:

Yes black leather flip case. I hope there’s been some good news regarding yours?

• Andrew porwol says:

Was this at the hfp summer party? If so a phone was handed in there and an announcement made that a phone had been found.

3. TGLoyalty says:

Unfortunately couldn’t make tonight

Was hoping there would be some Instagram posts / live story on the goings on

• AndyGWP says:

I got a picture of the staircase 👍🏻🤷🏼‍♂️😆

• Polly says:

So did cat! Sorry about the quality!
        Great party, last to leave, us girlies.
        Anna and Liz, you got to get to the next party!

• Wish I could but it’s a long way from Dundee! Only visit London every couple of years. A Scottish version would be great though!

4. NvT1115 says:

Still on route to the HFP party – have I missed anything?

5. Robert says:

Had a great night at my first HfP do. Thanks to Rob and the HfP team! Fingers crossed we can make it to the Christmas one, too!

6. BlueThroughCrimp says:

1200 mile round trip for me. Great night. Hope everyone enjoyed themselves.
    Thanks to all.