BA sale

£1500 UK to Johannesburg deal with Qatar Airways

Qatar Airways is offering a very attractive £1500 (£1498 to be exact) business class deal to Johannesburg.  It seems to be available between October and June, but don’t bother looking over Christmas and New Year.

You WON’T find this on the Qatar Airways website directly.  It seems to be a fare which is only available via kayak.co.uk.  Kayak brings up the fare and you click through to qatarairways.com to book.  You will be paying over £3,000 if you try to book the same flights on the Qatar Airways website without going via Kayak.

Oddly, it isn’t even available via other websites owned by Kayak’s parent booking.com, such as Cheapflights or Priceline.

Here is an example.  You need to sort your search results by price to get this to the top – Kayak pushes it well down the page otherwise due to the nasty stopover on the way back (click to enlarge):

Qatar Airways Johannesburg deal

Some options may include a British Airways leg between London and Doha as it codeshares with Qatar Airways on this route.

Remember that you earn Avios and British Airways tier points when you fly with Qatar Airways.  This trip gets you 560 tier points which is virtually a British Airways Executive Club Silver card.

Qatar Airways Johannesburg deal

We have reviewed the Qatar Airways A380 business class seat here, the Boeing 787 business class here and the old-style Boeing 777 business class seat here.  The new Qsuite on most of the A350 fleet and some of the Boeing 777 fleet is covered here.

The Qatar Airways website has special pages covering the two main business class seats – the A380 / 787 / partial A350 version is here and Qsuite is explained here.

Your best option to maximise your miles when paying is American Express Preferred Rewards Gold.  This offers double points – 2 per £1 – when you when you book flight tickets directly with an airline.

Last day for the excellent British Airways '2 for 1' sale
Save the £4.99 fee when you sign up to Revolut via our special HFP reader offer

Comments

1. O/T – any suggestions for a nice IHG property in Europe with an outdoor pool for the kids?

2. So is there only one confirmed date for the joburg flights? Or are we meant to manually trawl through numerous combinations?
    I tried a dozen date ranges in the October to June period but none returned prices anywhere near this.

Am I doing something wrong or is this a very lazy article?

• It doesn’t take that long to flick through the ITA matrix surely?

• So essentially someone else is lazy because they have not done the work for you?

• Essentially yes.

• Hmmm. Looks like it may be dead now. Will add a note.

The reason I didn’t give a detailed date breakdown is that it was there for every single date I tried yesterday (probably about 20 in total) except for the Christmas period.

Because this was not a ‘filed’ fare I couldn’t pull the fare rules up to get the exact small print.

3. My experience of Hilton Gold at the two Moscow Doubletree’s this month:

Got executive lounge access
    Got free brekkie (2 adults and 2 young kids)
    Got late check-out

Highly recommended if the location works for you!

Used Yandex Taxi app heavily. Works far better than Uber in London

4. Moscow to Heathrow in BA Club World (fully flat bed – A321 Throne Seat)

Got it for 11,800 Avios + £80! How is this even possible? I still cannot believe it

Economy would have been 10,000 avios + £17

Was great!

5. Rob,
    I pointed this Qatar fare out to you almost 2 weeks ago in the comments. You said Qatar had an ex-LON sale on, they’d sent you the info on it, but you didn’t think it was worth disseminating further!

• And £1498 is the ex-LHR fares
      They drop to £1460 ex-LGW

• It’s August, slow news month, look at the other two components of this Bits. Absent slow news days premium fares for longhaul flights usually have to hit around £1200 or less before getting high profile on HFP as far as Ican see. Come to think of it, it has been quite a lousy year so far for news, highlights of HFP having been coverage of the amex changes, strikes and Tesco mobile.

• TGLoyalty says:

£1300-1500 ex-lon isn’t bad considering no postioning.

£1k each in recent BA is/was a steal

• Yes, this year so far is pretty low on exceptional deals apart from Tesco mobile. It has mostly been all sorts of devaluations. Hopefully better things to come in the last quarter and around Christmas.

6. any advice on what to do with 5000 Hilton points that are expiring?

• Transfer them to somebody else, new account for OH if none already? No idea if this works but my gut feeling is that it will.

7. OT: Looks like there are new amex offers for Hilton stays in the USA.

• Or maybe not, a bit weird, appears as a banner on my dad’s account telling him he can find it in his offers but it’s not there. Just checked my four cards and not on any of them.

• I had the same last week. It only appeared once and I couldn’t find it within my offers either!

• Likewise. More Amex IT glitches

• Re glitches – I just saw a Shop Small advert on the front page. Clicked through and it took me to the Shop Small map, etc. Got excited, went to my offers and there was nothing there… Sigh…

There were no links to sign up for the offer from the map, either…

• Just the one that’s been there for a month or so for me.

“Spend £500 in the US and get £100” – offer ends 31/10/2019

(Grabbed the Pret offer that appeared this morning though. Spend 4x £5+ and get £6 back)

8. Humphrey says:

OT – have looked on the site but can’t find an answer (although I bet it’s there somewhere). Have upgraded from free BA Amex to the paid one having already spent £15k, and have received 2-for-1 voucher but it only has a 1 year expiry. Should it not be 2 years as it was triggered by the paid Amex card?

• You mention ‘having already spent the 15k”
      If you spent 15k while having the free card you will get 1 year only.
      Only need to hit 10k with the paid card.

• Humphrey says:

Yes, spent 15k out of the 20k on the free card, which then triggered on the paid card as it was over 10k (if that makes sense!)

• TGLoyalty says:

It makes sense but it would have been better to spend £9,999 on the free then go over on the paid as the voucher would then have triggered with 2 years expiry.

You are now in this odd situation that means you’ll have to contact customer services and get it changed.

9. BSI1978 says:

OT but looking for some Rio guidance please.

Have a hotel booked on Copacabana (Windsor Miramar) next month but an increasing number of pals are suggesting we’d be better off in hotel on/near Ipanema.

I don’t think we’re actually that far away in truth but would welcome any thoughts/advice.

TIA

• Michael says:

Ipanema and Leblon are both nicer neighbourhoods in my opinion, lots of really great places to eat out and soak up the atmosphere. Copacabana is still very nice but it’s more touristy and the beach isn’t as nice. Absolutely amazing city, hope you have a great time!

• +1 but I still have a soft spot for Copacabana and would probably stay there out of peak season and it is also that bit more convenient. However, somebody commented a few weeks back that the beach there has be washed away. I doubt they have reestablished it already so that settles the issue I should think.

• Michael C says:

Stayed at this Windsor last Christmas, & enjoyed the location.
      Ipanema is totally walkable, but in addition you have the Copacabana night market/beachside bars right on your doorstep. And the Belmond for ice creams in the evening.
      We had a beach-facing room which was really quite spacious, and b/fast was decent (although the staff too overbearing).

Having said all that, we’ll stay in Ipanema next year, just to have that on our doorstep and do everything the other way round.

You can’t really NOT have a fantastic time!

10. OT: Any tips for booking Qantas from either Sydney / Melbourne / Brisbane to Los Angeles or San Francisco? I can’t pull up a single seat for either route, tried multiple dates throughout 2020. I’m trying to plan my two-carrier avios ticket to go around the world in 2021. Looks Like I can hit it just under 20,000 miles if I fly back from the US with Virgin.

• Still a while away so watch out for China Southern who are rumoured to be be joining One World. Nothing with JAL or AA? I would imagine availability to USA is better out of Japan than on CX out of HKG.

• Is it perhaps that your dates are too far out? I just tried a random date in March (12th, in case it’s of any use) and could find Economy availability on both AA and BA’s websites (incl. a Qantas option) for SYD-LAX.

• Just re-read your post and considering you’re planning a trip in 2021, your dates are almost definitely too far out. BA releases Avios seats 355 days in advance; I don’t know what Qantas’ policy is – try Googling. Once you find out, earmark the flights you want and as soon as availability is open (and I do mean AS SOON AS – people have been known to stay up til the wee hours and to ring up BA call centers in Japan / US in order to secure redemptions as soon as they appear, though there should be less pressure with Economy tickets) ring up (BA probably) and get your tickets booked.

• I think Lewis knows this and is just researching next year to get a handle on when flights might be released, and possible alternative routings. However, the latter probably puts him over his limits.

• Yes I know about the 355 days in advance. Its more of seeing how likely each leg would be achievable given how flexible you need to be for these tickets to work. As mentioned its seems Qantas are tight on the business / first redemptions across the Pacific. I could find some availability from Cathay and AA fairly easily but as BJ said it throws me well over the 20,000 miles threshold. Japan is one of my favourite countries but I’ve been plenty of times. Sydney – Tokyo is just under 5,000 miles so I would need to cough up another 40,000 avios.

• Qantas tends to be stingy about releasing First and Business trans Pacific seats, especially in the Australian school holidays and they often disappear quickly once they are released. If you have BA status they may be able to open something up over the phone?

Premium economy and economy are easier. In case you haven’t tried it, Qantas premium economy is good – definitely business minus service rather than economy plus.

The Qantas web-site is useful for searching for awards since it uses a calendar (choose flexible dates).

11. Spaghetti Town says:

OT: Anyone else having issues with the virgin money credit card app? Complete load of rubbish.