BA sale

Redeem a lot of Hilton Honors points for a McLaren track day

If you are keen on fast cars, Hilton Honors and McLaren have got together to organise another exceptional track day.

This is what you get:

Here’s your chance to score the ultimate McLaren track day experience at the famous Dunsfold Circuit.  You and a guest will have the opportunity to experience the full capabilities of a McLaren road car, combined with the highest standard of hospitality.

Dunsfold Circuit is designed to deliver a fun mix of low and high-speed corners as well as a series of straights, offering the optimal track for this McLaren track day experience.

This experience for two (2) includes:

Opportunity to drive both a McLaren 570S and 720S alongside professionally qualified driving coaches

Hot Lap, where the driving coach will take the wheel and show you how to maximize car performance around the track

VIP hospitality throughout the day, including lunch

Please note this package does not include rail, airfare or hotel accommodations. Must be 25+ years of age and have valid international driving license.

If you know anything about performance cars you’ll know what an opportunity this is.  If you don’t, it’s not for you anyway!  The date is 24th October.

Last year this was a ‘buy it now’ deal for 275,000 Hilton Honors points.  This year it is being auctioned, and by coincidence the price is currently 275,000 points but could obviously go higher.

It isn’t cheap – based on my 0.33p per point valuation, you are ‘paying’ close to £900 at the current bid – but it would be an amazing day out.  You can bid here.

Hilton Honors Auctions McLaren track day

How to earn Hilton Honors points via UK credit cards

As a reminder, there are various ways of earning Hilton Honors points from UK credit cards.  Many cards also have generous sign-up bonuses!

Click here to read our detailed summary of all UK credit cards which earn Hilton Honors points.

Earn 6,000 Accor points (= 6,000 Avios) via a new Europcar promotion
Should the collapsing £ make you re-assess your points valuations?

Hilton India and SEA sale
BA sale

Comments

1. Did anyone invest in curve? I put a tenner in (using curve obviously) but crowdcube hasn’t taken any money yet. I did get a declined transaction of £1 at the time I clicked invest, but my account shows the investment in my portfolio

• Titus Adduxas says:

I had no joy putting the money in just after the opening time and gave up. However I did manage to get £500 invested in the afternoon just before they got to the revised £6m target. The money was taken within a couple of days though and my Crowdcube account shows it as an investment funded on 3rd September.

• My miniscule £10.

• I threw £200 in and it’s yet to be taken out of my account. Still pending on my portfolio on crowdcube.

2. Careful with Europecar and it’s subsidiaries particularly Goldcar and Interent. See Which survey (nearly 50% complaint rate) and also Tripadvisor. I had appalling service at Palma airport and watched close hand their attempt s to make you take their insurance

• Shoestring says:

yep Goldcar come in for a lot of criticism – but Europcar UK are fine provided you do the obvious things, ie take photos of the outside of the car before the rental, including all damage; make sure all damage is listed in detail on your contract; get the drop-off station agent to write ‘no further damage’ on your contract and issue the final invoice at the drop-off station; take out cheap excess insurance from an alternative to Europcar’s excess waiver policy (which you decline), I use Insurance4CarHire @ around £4/ day.

• Me too, yet to encounter any problems and we rent..a lot.

• Lady London says:

Depending on your route for insurance4carhire I’d also warmly recommend Bettersafe. Questor also cover some non-car vehicles. Both have been good to deal with on occasions with queries.

• Did a £1 car hire with Europcar 2 years ago – Carlisle – LTN and no problems at all, even though we got to LTN late because of traffic problems (we did warn them).

But I would not touch Goldcar – unless perhaps if they paid me €1000 cash in hand to pick the car up (after paying me) and even then I would be very careful.

• Shoestring says:

Europcar Newquay Airport is just down the road so the £1 rentals are convenient & a cheap alternative to airport parking for my car, esp Xmas, Easter, summer hols when my wife can’t make the full holiday (joining us later) but we all pile into her car on the way home from LHR.

• Lady London says:

There seem to be much more horror stories about Goldcar than about Ryanair which is suite an achievement.

• Charlieface says:

In my experience after about 15 rentals with Europcar and feedback from people I sent there is they don’t play too many games with damage these days after they got in trouble about it. What I found is they are very ungenerous about everything.
      E.g.
      I have not a single report of an upgrade in all of those rentals, that includes the fact I am Executive and should get one where available.
      They class a Vauxhall Mokka as Intermediate, every other company classes it as Compact.
      They once identity checked me because I last rented more than 3 months before, notwithstanding my membership and status, that failed, then they demanded proof of address and wouldn’t accept it emailed from my wife who had to then come out to the station.
      The free weekend voucher email link didn’t work, CS wouldn’t help and I had to email the CEO to get a response.
      I wanted to extend the free weekend by paying for the extra days, the T&C say you can do this but it’s not actually possible, I’d have to make a fresh booking. The office wouldn’t help by just closing off the 1st rental and opening the 2nd, they said I need to come to office and because it would be Sunday I’d have to pay 2x out-of-hours charge. In the end I went to the airport which is open on Sunday.
      Europcar points to Accor and Flying Blue never credit, no matter how many times CS insist they have done it manually.

3. Came across this £1 car hire deal gateway the other day but it’s failed on the two occasions that I’ve tried it so feeling like it’s a bit of a con… https://www.driiveme.co.uk/ – anyone had success with it?

4. Anybody see any offer on Amex online that clearly shows the extra Hilton point when converting membership rewards ?

Rob mentioned it the other day but when I look to transfer it offers 1 MR = 2 HILTON not 3.

• Shoestring says:

Start enjoying the benefits at Hilton
      Between 11 September and 31 October 2019, you can enjoy 3 Hilton Honors Points for each Membership Rewards point, when you transfer 1,000 or more. That’s 50% higher than the usual rate for transfers.

Please note that your points will be transferred to your Hilton Honors account within five working days and your additional Bonus Points can take up to eight weeks to transfer. Terms and Conditions apply.

Terms and Conditions

1. Minimum transfer is 1,000 Membership Rewards points. Redeem for this exclusive offer from 12:00am BST on 11 September 2019 to 11:59pm on 31 October 2019. Please note that your points will be transferred to your Hilton Honors account within 5 working days. Please allow up to eight weeks for the additional Hilton Honors Bonus Points to be awarded. Hilton Honors Bonus Points do not count towards elite tier qualification. You must be enrolled in Hilton Honors in order to participate in this offer, visit americanexpress.co.uk/benefitstatus to enroll. American Express is not responsible for availability, accommodations or any other rewards in the Hilton Honors program. Once you have transferred Membership Rewards points, they become subject to the Terms and Conditions of the Hilton Honors programme and cannot be transferred back to your Membership Rewards programme account. All Hampton by Hilton™ hotels in the Republic of China are excluded from the Hilton Honors programme. See Hilton Honors Terms and Conditions for details. This offer is non-transferable and may not be combined with other offers. American Express in its sole discretion reserves the right to alter and or terminate these offers at any time. To be eligible to receive these offers, all Card accounts linked to an enrollee’s Membership Rewards programme account must not be canceled, past due or have a return payment at the time of point redemption.

• Thanks Harry..

Was that an email or online somewhere? I cant see it myself and wondering if the offer was targeted..

• Shoestring says:

note the ‘non transferable’ bit – may or may not be accurate/ targeted

going thru the link it now takes me to the standard 1:2 page with no mention of the 1:3, so if I were transferring MR points, I’d screenshot my offer

• Thanks again.
            Your comments echo my thoughts. I did see it advertised at 1:3 on the transfer page on day one of the promo but that has been rolled back to the standard 1:2 offer.
            I will speak to amex for clarification before jumping in.

5. OT: I’m struggling a bit to interpret the Amex Platinum rules for travel insurance. We’re looking at a very flexible trip through SE Asia and while I expect we’ll remain within the 120 limit of the ‘trip’, exactly how much has to be booked on the card in order to qualify for the insurance? Does anyone have any experience with the original ‘booking’ being a one-way flight? I can see us taking 2 flights a month minimum using the budget carriers so lounge access alone will almost offset the cost.

• I would definitely call them with all questions….definitely.

• When I had a look at the plat insurance I found it quite lacking compared to a standalone policy especially for a independent traveller booking flights etc separately. It’s generally unclear what needs to be paid for on the card. Add in that you can’t add pre-existing conditions makes it a non-starter for many.

• Plus the ridiculous age limit as well.

• Shoestring says:

Barclays Travel Plus Pack covers you up to age 80

£18/ month, minimum 6 months

6 free lounge passes
            travel insurance
            breakdown insurance

• Hi, once I had (in part) a similar question about what needed to be paid on the card and I called them to ask. They said that if an hotel or any other place doesn’t take Amex I will be cover anyway, otherwise everything should be paid on Amex (not necessarily platinum)
      I asked because the hotel we go for our ski break doesn’t take Amex. They ensure I will be covered anyway.

• I would definitely phone Amex to check. I would imagine that they would want proof of a return date within the required limit though which is 90 days not 120.

6. OT – JAL domestic flights, including awards, are now bookable 330 days in advance. Redemptions are showing on BA (Avios) and AA (AAdvantage).

Domestic redemptions were previously only bookable on line two months ahead.

7. OT – BA cancelling flights to Hong Kong.

Just noticed in MMB (no email!) that BA are cancelling the second daily departure to HK. If you have a flight booked in the coming months do check.

(I’m flying to HK in late November, and have been rebooked on the 777 operated flight at 18.25 as the 21.30 flight due to be operated by an A380 is cancelled.)

• I’m flying on the 2nd December from HKG on the A380 and my flight is still showing as confirmed and is still on sale. Maybe it’s only some days of the week?

8. Harry/SS

Just saying thanks for the No1 Lounge offer, paid £20 for lounge & fastrack security at EDI for my upcoming Istanbul trip this winter.

Also thanks to Anika for this review

It’s a noon flight so I’ll be having a bacon butty, shame you only get the one choice, hopefully food onboard Turkish airlines will be decent.

• Shoestring says:

Hello Shoester!

Never mind selecting your seats on the plane, it’s all about the lounge – we’re offering up to 40% off ours, but for a limited time only. Be it a snug sofa in My Lounge, a modern bar stool with a view in No1, or a comforting armchair in the Clubrooms – we have a seat for you, whatever your style. Be sure to snap these sale ones up while they last!

Use the promo code SALE2019 at no1lounges.com/promotions.

• Would be interested in a report on the TK flight if you have time TripRep.

9. Maybe I’m just stupid but I thought the one way car rental cost only £1. Europcar wanted £61 from me – £60 for the rental and £1 for the one way. I can get a taxi from where I live from Basingstoke to London Heathrow for cheaper than this. Have I just misread it?

• Shoestring says:

Total price
      to pay now (excluding fuel)
      GBP 1.00
      for 1 day

• Thanks for this Shoestring. That’s what I booked on but if I put timings in as 10am pick up, 12 noon drop off it gives me £1. As my flight is 1035 I need to leave earlier and drop off earlier and as soon as I put those times in I get the £61 price. Probably because their Basingstoke office is closed at 7am when I’d need to collect.

• I cant remember exactly but I did hire with Europcar for this 1GBP rental and in case if you do not return the car on time then you could be charged an additional 60GBP or if you pick up the car after 6pm (after scheduled hours or out of business hours)

They did charge 25GBP after the 1GBP return for fuel.I barely did 40 miles in the one day rental and did hold the fuel receipt at the nearest airport fuel station.They did claim the tank was not full and I sent the receipt after which they returned 25pounds as a good gesture.

Not again for me after the fuel drama.

• Shoestring says:

it’s £3/ litre so you’re better off filling up yourself, there’s a convenient Shell just half a mile away from LHR Europcar

• Lady London says:

Hi Kumar, was that Europcar LHR that tried that on with the fuel ?

• It was london Stanstead .returned @5am when no one in office.Drop the keys in the box and leave otherwise i would had made sure everything was good in terms of fuel level…

• Lady London says:

Aaaah… one of the reasons it’s always better to drop off the car when the office is open for someone to receive it. Then you can insist they sign for the return of no-more-damaged car and that the tank was returned full and close the rental. (and allow extra time for any queues or “discussion” needed for your flight).

IM (long)E an airport car hire office, in particular, is a mine of risk for potential dodgy practices. Much more than non-airport locations. Although all car hire has a risk of encountering such practices. Hence the need for decent insurance via charge card or other means unless you are a HNWI.

You did well to ensure you refilled the tank and kept the receipt @Kumar

• I’ve had Europcar LHR whack on a cleaning bill of either £25 or £50 after I’d returned the car & it was signed-off as all fine, no further charges.
          A couple of emails to their CS got it sorted but they do come across as shysters a bit.

10. OT BA cancellations related. I have a GLA-LHR positioning flight on the 28th evening. First of a cascade of flights for honeymoon in Africa (all on separate PNRs). What are the chances flights day after strike will be cancelled? Additionally, ticket is Avios redemption – what are the chances we will get bumped off? Could potentially book a train down as a backup but would rather not eat further into the holiday budget. Any advice based on experience from strikes last week?

• No guarantees of course, but BA have updated their strike advice to say that if your flight is cancelled they have emailed you (past tense), so no news is good news.

Plus, they’ll want to not cancel flights on 28 sept now as they are within the 14-day combo window now (which is why they cancelled flights on the 27th 15 days in advance on the 12th).

That’s what I’m telling myself as I’m booked for a LHR-GVA-LHR day trip on 28/9!!

• Shoestring says:

There was loads of disruption on the day after the last strike a couple of days ago, with planes out of position and more cancelled flights, esp within the UK. The separate PNRs issue poses a significant risk to catching your second flight from LHR with no alternative flight offered if you miss the connection. What are the timings? as obvs there are plenty of GLA-LHR flights each day.

Advice? train is possible but as you said it’s GLA-LHR evening, can you not pay to change this positioning flight to a much earlier one?, giving more time to get put on a later flight if your one gets canceeled.

• Lady London says:

Your risk is high due to separate PNR’s. I’d book a cancellable alternative to get me to LHR if flight is cancelled last minute. Or pay a change fee now and get it moved a lot earlier for safety.

If you’ve got enough Avios spare you could see if it’s possible to book a big-avios-plus-£1 Avios backup ticket as that would limite your lisses to £1 if you cancel it.

I hope you’ve got good travel Insurance, and i hope you paid everything by credit card for s.75.

• Jill. (kinkell) says:

BA cancelled our evening flight from INV on the 11th sept with just 6 hours to go! We had checked in, boarding passes sorted as well. So, in your case you need a Plan B as others have suggested.
      Hope it all goes well.

11. O/T – Missed flight help – Hi everyone, hoping for some advice off you knowledgable folk! I should start this by saying i’m not a frequent flyer…. I should have been on the 5.55 flight to Palma this morning from Manchester airport, booked with avios points. The British airways itinerary stated check in desk opened at 04.30, so my wife, two infants and I arrived at the check in desk just before then (and was checked in straight away at 04.30). I was then made to check in a car seat separately (taking 20mins) and get through security (another 45 mins) which allowing for walking time from these places meant we did not arrive at the gate until 5.45, at which point we was told we had missed the flight. We heard the generic final call a couple of minutes before getting to the gate so thought we was ok. The BA staff member at the gate said she knew we was at security at 5am so i’m frustrated we wasn’t told of the urgency in getting to the gate as early as possible, and i also feel the plane has left the gate early. My question for anyone who may know on such matters is where do i stand on this regarding seeking compensation or taking legal action against BA for leaving the gate early, providing poor info on the itinerary? Or is it tough luck on me and they have not done anything wrong! Thanks

• Shoestring says:

Hard luck, I don’t think you have any chance with compo, though BA have been known to re-ticket people out of ‘compassion’ for missing the flight. Not that it helps you now, but when the boarding pass doesn’t state the ‘Gate closes’ time https://i1.wp.com/insidethecask.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/07/blank-boarding-pass-british-airways.jpg?w=2280 , you have to rely on official airport advice for the airport, 15 mins for Manchester Airport but 20 mins T5 LHR.

There are times when you basically have to jump the Security queue or miss your flight – 45 mins for Security sounds horrendous & I’d have basically pushed to the front, telling people why (about to miss flight) – I’ve had plenty of people do that to me & whilst not exactly overjoyed, people in the queue do actually understand and make way, the kids would have made that easier in your case.

Hope you find another way to Palma.

• Thank you for the reply. Yes security was horrendous! they put my wife’s baby changing bag to one side which took up most of the time but we never felt like we was at risk (more fool us and lesson learnt). We was actually put in a priority queue because we had a pram but they were just horrendously slow to check anything and then when the bag was rechecked it just added on the minutes. Checking the flight and it actually set off an hour late in the end, whether that was them unloading the bags, missing the slot or something else i don’t know…..

I have managed to rebook this evening with jet2 from Manchester so all is not lost. Thanks again for info and reply.

• Don’t know if mentioned Lee but your inbound will be cancelled automatically if you didn’t fly the first sector ! Get on to BA CS and get them to reinstate your return flight …

• Thanks, have spoken to them earlier and inbound has not been cancelled. Hopefully no issues on way back home!

• The BA services from MAN are delayed all the time, they basically try and fit far too many flights into the available time and then each delay has a knock on effect on the next one.

• Lady London says:

I think you should ask thé airline for help. Passengers getting caught in airport processing delays on very early flights must be a common occurrence. If the checking desk does not open soon enough to allow for those then IMV not thé passengers fault.

I should think the airline normally advises being at thé airport at least 2 hours ahead. If thé checkin desk is not open at least that regularly quoted time ahead then IMV it’s not opening soon enough and they know it.

One flight i take fairly regularly départs at 0620. But checkin desks are open no earlier than 0530. And not all checkin desks open at that time it’s gradual. If i was checked in 5mins after they opened i would expect to be put on a later flight f.o.c. if the airport could not process me in time.

Court case needed to clarify this so youll just have to ask nicely – essential you do this while still at the airport.

• Going to enjoy my holiday and then have a think about what to do on the way back. Customer service wise I think they have had a shocker, contractually not sure I have an argument. Thanks for input.

• +1 – you are advised to get to the airport 3 hours before an international flight, so how can they possibly justify only opening the check in desks only 90 minutes before scheduled departure time? I try to avoid very early flights out of MAN precisely because it’s so busy between 4 and 6 am but even when passing through security at that time it’s never taken 45 minutes, despite regularly being singled out for extra bag screening – you must have been quite unlucky! It’s not even school holidays any more so it sounds unbelievably badly managed from all angles.

Anyway, I hope you have a lovely holiday despite the unfortunate start!