REGISTER NOW: Earn double Avios on British Airways flights and via BA Holidays

British Airways has launched a new ‘double Avios’ offer for the Autumn.

This has the potential to be very lucrative if you can work it around your travel plans.

For the first time, this offer has also been extended to BA Holidays.  Not only will you get double Avios on BA flights booked as part of a BA Holidays package, but the bonus Avios you earn for using BA Holidays are doubled to 2 Avios per £1.

The sign up page for the offer is here.  You MUST register before making any bookings.

Earn double Avios on BA Holidays

The offer is simple on the face of it:

Registration is required via this page of ba.com

The offer is open to all BAEC members globally

You earn double base Avios, excluding cabin and status bonuses, on your next 10 qualifying BA flights (a return trip = 2 flights)

You must book your flights between 18th September and 13th December

Existing bookings prior to registration do not count UNLESS you booked during the current British Airways sale.  There is a form on the ba.com registration page here which you can fill in to request that sale bookings are counted.  It is not fully clear how you are meant to know if a flight you booked recently was at a ‘sale’ price or not, however …..

You must fly before 30th June 2020

Looking at the small print, the offer is also valid on American Airlines, Iberia and Finnair flights when travelling between Europe and North America on a BA flight numberDon’t be fooled by the statement at the top of the registration page that AA, Iberia and Finnair flights to North Ameria count – the terms and conditions say they do not, unless there is a BA flight number on your boarding pass.

British Airways flights booked as part of a BA Holidays package WILL count.  You also get an extra bonus for booking via BA Holiday which I discuss later on.

The offer is also valid on Comair-operated BA services in Southern Africa.

However, apart from the exceptions above, no other BA codeshare or franchise flight will count.  You won’t get double Avios on, for example, a Bangkok Airways, Vistara, Aer Lingus, Qatar Airways or Vueling flight with a BA flight number.

Note that double Avios are awarded on the first ten qualifying flights that you fly after registering and booking. The order you book them makes no difference.  If you book 15 flights, you will get double Avios on the first 10 you fly and not the first 10 you booked.

Earn double Avios on British Airways flights

Here’s a snag though ….

You only get double Avios on your first 10 segments.

If you have a number of long-haul flights coming up before the end of the year, you don’t want to use up your 10 flight allowance too quickly.  This means, bizarrely, you may want to consider moving some short-haul flights away from British Airways.  This will preserve your 10 flight ‘double Avios’ allowance for long-haul flights which will be far more lucrative.

And an extra bonus when you book with BA Holidays

Regular readers of Head for Points will know that we are big fans of booking your flights via BA Holidays if you can, adding in a hotel or car rental.

The main reason for this is that a ‘flight and hotel’ or ‘flight and car’ package is often cheaper than booking a flight on its own, especially in Club World.

There are two other good reasons to book with BA Holidays:

you only need to pay a deposit at the time of booking, with the balance only due five weeks before travel

you receive an extra bonus of 1 Avios per £1 spent, on top of the Avios you receive from your flights and from your credit card spend if you use a BA Amex

The only downside is that flights booked via BA Holidays do not qualify for On Business points in the BA small business loyalty programme.

During this promotion, you get two extra bonuses for booking via BA Holidays at ba.com or via the BA call centre:

your flights will earn double Avios, as long as they meet the definition of ‘qualifying flights’ and originate in the UK

the extra Avios you receive for booking with BA Holidays is doubled from 1 Avios per £1 to 2 Avios per £1

The same rules apply as with the main promotion – you must register before booking, you must book before 13th December and you must travel by 30th June 2020.

Don’t forget to register before you book

You can register for double Avios here.  I would do it now, even if you don’t have any immediate plans to book and travel, just in case you forget.

ANA's new business class seat, THE Room, really is very good ....
CANCELLED (updated 20/9): British Airways pilot strike on 27th September is called off in a bizarre BALPA move

Comments

1. Have we decided which is the best card to put theses on? Have Gold and if same-ish price would go through Amex travel. Could temporary get free BA card which would give me an extra 6000 points I suppose, worth another 6000 avios on top (twice if recommend wife) = 12,000 avios.

2. Does not work still.

• Now, I think BA deliberately tries to exclude “relatively active” travellers who are likely to book several flights under this promotion.

Also, this “seeing double” makes one foresee Avios devaluation..

• Shoestring says:

are you trying from outside the UK?

• Nope, inside the UK. UK BAEC member.

• Shoestring says:

thought it might be something to do with a foreign address in your personal details or foreign IP details [1.1 This promotion is only open to Eligible Participants. An Eligible Participant is a British Airways (“BA”) Executive Club Member based in the UK.]

3. kettlemassive says:

When did the BA sale start? I booked a few tickets on 30 August, and though I recall getting BA-sale level prices, I am not the sale had officially started by them? Would those flights be eligible?

And where is the form to fill out for flights booked prior to 18 September? I can’t seem to find it on BA’s website.

4. Is there a limitation on how long you have to have had your exec account open? My friend is getting an error message saying she isnt eligible.

5. The form to back-register doesn’t work if your email address contains a hyphen. Disabling JS in your browser will get you over this particular issue 🙂

6. John Sharples says:

OT. Just picked up an unexpected 50K Avios bonus from a Tesco clubcard conversion. Appears it was because in the 3 years I have converted Shell drivers club points to Avios, albeit only a handful.
    This was covered here on HFP a while back, but didn’t seem to get much attention. I certainly missed it!

The deal supposedly runs until December and gives an extremely good 40% conversion bonus for any number of clubcard/Avios conversion transactions. If you have converted any shell drivers club points to Avios in the last 3 years it’s well worth taking advantage of this soon.

7. Where can I find this form? There is a form which you can fill in to request that sale bookings are counted.

8. Says I’m not eligible (it’s like IHG Accelerate all over again…) is this a confirmed glitch or those who have benefited from the early 2019 double Avios promo excluded?

• southlondonphil says:

Probably BA’s IT. I earned a couple of Double Avios bonuses for flights in the March/April promotion and the website has happily let me re-register for this new one.

9. I have just spent 51 minutes on the Silver line trying to get this resolved since I still am apparently ineligible for this offer having tried again this morning to register. The CS agent named Deprati said that only existing Exec Club members who received an email from BA were eligible. I told her this was incorrect as
    Eligibility
    1.1 This promotion is only open to Eligible Participants. An Eligible Participant is a British Airways (“BA”) Executive Club Member based in the UK. Eligible Participants may join the Executive Club, using code Q419DA which will automatically register them to this promotion. British Airways reserves the right to verify the eligibility of Eligible Participants. By taking part in either promotion, Eligible Participants confirm that they accept the Terms and Conditions set out below.

There is no mention of eligibility only being open to existing BAEC members who have received an email with the offer.

The only thing she said she would do is escalate the issue and that I would receive a reply from BA within 7 working days to confirm my eligibility.

I said that this was discrimination as it prevents me from booking a flight within the next 7 days that would qualify for the offer since:
    2.1. Eligible Participants must register between 18 September and 13 December 2019 (Promotional Period), at the offer page before booking and follow the “Register now” link provided. A “thank you” message will be displayed to confirm that your registration has been successful.
    2.2. Registration must take place before booking in order to qualify.

I will try again in a few minutes when I have calmed down.

10. O/T: How many additional reward flights does BA tend to release after the initial guaranteed ones are taken? I am trying to book 4 x return flights in Europe (LHR-ATH) for next August and the economy ones are all taken on the return date. As there are only 2 business flights per flight at the moment I can’t get everyone on the same flight with Avios.

• Shoestring says:

No guarantees at all and it will depend on each route plus load factors etc. I’ve seen 9 Economy, 9 Business, plus all 4+2 go then another chunk of Avios fares loaded. For Xmas 2020 outward to our place in the sun, I was able to book all 5 Avios seats at T-355, which I’ve never seen before.

You’re probably better off thinking about buying some cash seats if they’re cheap enough and you want to travel together, we normally book 4x Avios + 1x HBO or 1x CE Avios if we need 5.

11. OT: I am trying to book return tickets BCN-LHR-PVG via Skyscanner as the price quoted are in GBP instead of EUR and I wouldn’t need to pay the Amex FX fees. If I pay for the tickets through Skyscanner, will I still get the bonus avios on my BA Amex card?