Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

British Airways launches a flash flight sale in Economy from London Gatwick

British Airways has launched a flash sale on short-haul economy seats from London Gatwick.

Over 200,000 seats have been reduced to £30 or less, for travel until 29th March 2020.

The lowest fare in the system is just £24 for a one-way trip to Nice or Verona.  This really is very low and puts BA firmly into ‘low cost carrier’ territory in terms of price.

British Airways Gatwick flash sale

Other routes which BA highlighted as offering the cheapest fares were Venice, Amsterdam, Geneva, Turin, Cologne, Faro, Dubrovnik, Glasgow, Edinburgh and Jersey.

You need to book by Tuesday 5th November.

The lower flight fares have also driven lower prices at BA Holidays, and it worth comparing ‘flight and hotel’ packages via this page – the price can often be genuinely cheaper than booking each element separately.

PS.  Remember that the brand new Club Aspire lounge is now open in the South Terminal at London Gatwick, which is the one used by British Airways.  This is accessible with a Priority Pass (free with Amex Platinum or buy one here) or Lounge Club (two FREE passes with Amex Gold) cards.  Our review of the new Club Aspire lounge at Gatwick South is here.

Comments (91)

• Shoestring says:

@Cat re your sis + tot – Princess mentioned getting the bulkhead seat + cot

Make sure your sis reserves this *at time of booking* (free of charge), certainly possible with BA – the cot will make all the difference with a 10 month old tot but there are limited numbers so the early bird gets the cot

• Cat says:

Thanks Harry, she’s on it! Sorry, only just spotted this. Much appreciated, as always m’dear!

• Kyle says:

There are a couple of flghts for as low as £16! I got one in March to Jersey.

• Shoestring says:

Turn on Virgin auto tip conversion from Tesco Clubcard again for another 1000 bonus Virgin miles later on this quarter, says first timers only but you never know

• Novice says:

Some advice needed if anyone can help. Looking to redeem a Lloyds on London – Toronto, which I understand from HFP has at least one A350 on the route with the new BA club suites. However looking at April/May next year I can only see 777 and 787 flights?

• Londonsteve says:

I guess it speaks volumes that when I mentioned the latest BA flash sale to my other half, a propos of a cheap city break for about 60 pounds return, she said she would rather fly Ryanair…

Although I’m mildly better disposed towards BA than her, I’ve learned to check BA Source and if the route is served by a Neo I’d rather walk. Almost…. SOF is now an exclusively Neo route, so I’ve routed via IST on TK for more money. 6.30 instead of 3.30 but a hell of a lot more comfortable. Looking forward to the superlative TK food and service, not to mention a peek at the beautiful new airport. 5 years ago I used to enjoy BA on the SOF route, 31 inch pitch ‘down the back’ and a tasty hot meal. It was a civilised way to fly, now I’d seriously rather fly Wizz from LTN. Greater comfort and smiling service, no wonder they are cleaning up in the European LCC market.

• Rhys says:

On the other hand, my parents who were due to fly Wizz to Sicily had their flights cancelled and some VERY poor communication re: their options…..

• Londonsteve says:

Swings and roundabouts. LCCs were and are always poor in this situation, unfortunately. It also can’t help that Wizz maintain only skeleton staff in the UK. I’ve taken in excess of 300 flights with Wizz over the years and other than the very occasional delay in the realms of 1-3 hours, I’ve never had a problem. Their fleet is almost new which helps avoid the risk of going technical. They’re not in the EZY league but are RYN priced and a cut above them in terms of product. We are comparing pretty low rent options and BA should be miles above both of them for experience, yet I would choose Wuzz over BA on the SOF route even if the tickets were identically priced, which is unfortunate.

• Tudway says:

I flew with Whiz from LTN to SOF last year. It felt like a school minibus. Coming from the the East Midlands Luton is marginally more convenient that Gatwick, so price swung it.

• Genghis says:

Flew Wizz for the first time yesterday. Never again.

• Londonsteve says:

In what way does BA Euro Traveller not feel like a school minibus, to adopt your analogy? I find the hard product near identical while Wizz staff are more eager to please than their BA compatriots on these short haul sectors.

• Lady London says:

Hi @Genghis,

Why never again ?

• Liz says:

Sorry for posting twice – was having trouble getting this to post !

• Lady London says:

IIRC Rob did an article on here and if you take the hotels.com credit, which you can avoid by not being logged in to hotels.com when you make the booking, then IIRC it was about 2 vs 8.

You’d also be advised to delete cookies first just in case you have one on your machine from an earlier login. Or use a different browser if you’re sure you’ve not logged in to hotels.com on it. Some cookies persist for 30 days in their effect once loaded I believe.

• Doug M says:

What they track at and what the pay are not the same. Getting 4.4 Avios on top of Hotel rewards is pretty good, I think typically 13% total is about as good as it gets. Hotel rewards are 9% ish, so 4.4 Avios on top is good I reckon. I found until last year E store would say you get a lower reward if taking hotel rewards, I find typically now they say specifically what it’ll be.
    This is an area Harry usually has a definite take on.

• Liz says:

It’s frustrating when there is inconsistency. They should say it is reduced by x amount of avios if you also take the hotel rewards. Sometimes it pays in full, sometimes it is reduced by around 2 Avios and sometimes about half. Every booking seems to be different. I made 4 bookings on the same day – 2 tracked at the correct 8 avios and 2 at 4.4 net of tax. Sods law it was the 2 bigger transactions that tracked lower so feel i am short of several hundred avios. Will probably end up giving up but just interested to see what others have received.