Qatar Business Class

Save 30% on No 1 Lounges gift vouchers

No 1 Lounges has launched a Christmas offer, with up to 30% discount on lounge passes.  You can buy here.

There are two options:

you can buy a pass for a specific lounge, if you know where you will flying from, for up to 30% discount, or

you can buy a £20 or £50 gift voucher at up to 30% discount which can be redeemed against any lounge booking

Vouchers can be used until 31st December 2020 so you shouldn’t have any trouble using them.  Note that the £20 and £50 vouchers must be used in one transaction, so you should only buy these if you are likely to be travelling with other people.

Whilst this offer is presented as a gifting offer, you are free to buy vouchers for yourself and save up to 30% on your No 1 Lounge, My Lounge and Clubrooms visits next year.

The offer runs until 26th December and you can buy here.  If it asks for a code, use GIFT2019.

Here are links to our reviews of No 1 Lounges:

No 1 Lounges gift vouchers

Getting airport lounge access via a UK credit card

As a reminder, here are the three options to get FREE airport lounge access via a credit or charge card:

The Platinum Card from American Express

Two free Priority Pass cards (one for you, one for your supplementary Platinum cardholder, each admitting two – so a family of four gets in free) giving access to every lounge in the Priority Pass network – search it here.  You also get access to Plaza Premium, Delta and Eurostar lounges.  Our American Express Platinum review is here.

American Express Preferred Rewards Gold

You get a Lounge Club card loaded with two free visits to any Lounge Club network lounge – see the list here.  The list is slightly shorter than the Priority Pass list, but not by much.  Additional visits are charged at £20 per person.  You get two more free visits for every year you keep the card.  No annual fee in Year 1.  Full details are in our American Express Preferred Rewards Gold review here.

HSBC Premier World Elite Mastercard

You get a free LoungeKey card allowing you access to any property in the LoungeKey network.  Guests are charged at £20 although regular travellers will find it cheaper to pay £60 for a supplementary credit card (adults only, of course).  The card has an annual fee of £195 and there are strict financial requirements to become a HSBC Premier customer.  Full details are in my HSBC Premier World Elite Mastercard review.

How I earned 7,000 Heathrow Rewards points (= 7,000 Avios) with a £135 Rocketmiles hotel booking
Bid for an IHG New Year's Eve party in Manchester

IHG Your Rate

Comments

1. OT: someone (Shoestring?) mentioned a few days that they’ve used their Tesco vouchers (£6 off £40, those ones) to buy Amazon gift cards. How does that work? I’ve received my vouchers yesterday, and they specifically mention gift cards do not count.
    TIA

• If you buy some other shopping with the gift cards.

• I haven’t had any coupons like the £6 off £40 etc for a long time. Nothing has appeared in my app, should I be contacting CS?

• These MOC post through the post even if you are signed up for online vouchers. If you zre digned up for a delivery pass of any kind, or if you shop at Tesco on a regular routine, then you are less likely to get them. I mostly shop Sainsburys because nectar is now better than clubcard but ai shop Tesco once in a while and am always getting these coupons from them, presumably to encourage me to shop more.

• Suusex bantam says:

This is true – I do the same in reverse. Usually shop in Tesco but occasionally in JS. I’m inundated with JS offers and get virtually none for Tesco.

Which, if you think about it, makes perfect sense as a strategy…

• You might find though that if you shop at JS regularly then you will continue to get those offers from them. This is why I switched after clubcard effectively collapsed. Today for example, I took a £43 deliver that came with 500 bonus Nectar points from product offers on the app, and my receipt had 3x 500 bonus points and triple points on petrol attached. I keep my points mostly for 1p redemptions on LNER so that’s £5+ value on a very average shop. By comparison, I would have got 103 zviis from Tesco for the same spend. While it is true ny partner again has 3x £8 off £40 MOC at Tesco, we are not losing that as we can use on giftcards..

• I cancelled my deliver saver a few months ago when the Cubcard offers dried up – since then I’ve had 2 lots of £8 + £6 + £6 money off vouchers. In fact I’ve been flirting with most of the supermarkets and getting free delivery and money off codes continually so it pays to be disloyal!

• My local Tesco has a food bank collection trolley so I’m going to go in next week and spend the voucher value on things they need for their Xmas hampers.

• My partner likes to do this too. We also always stick some extra in for the BA charity when we book a flight as we like the charities they support, I know it’s not the best way to give so we just keep it to £10/time.

• I called Sainsburys and told them I was going to Tesco as I really disliked their new online layout (honestly, I do) and then discovered £6 off £60 over the next 4 weeks. Not sure if it was just a coincidence or not.

• TBH I think the MOCs at Waitrose are pretty good – my partner and I both get them off. Reliably knocks 20% off a shop. Plus you earn VS miles shopping at Waitrose.

• Just buy a few little things along with the giftcard and go to a checkout that has less experienced staff serving! The system won’t stop the vouchers being redeemed.

2. Status matching question. I have BA GGL and SIA Gold/ PPS Solitaire.

I find myself needing to fly a few SkyTeam flights in the coming months around China.

Is there a Skyteam airline I can/ should status match into? Status matcher is lacking any feedback on a lot of their members.

• China Southern was matching IHG hotel status to their elite member tiers, up to gold, but I think application is now closed. Not sure if it will re-open.

• A lot of status matches are now ‘challenges’ where you get a reduced target over a shorter period in which to earn the status rather than a straight match.

You could contact the airline you will be using in china and ask them. will help if you said you plan to take X number of flights in the next few months

• Lady London says:

Why not take a look at what Alaska Airlines can offer you for the airlines you’re considering using? They have their own set of alliance which appears very useful – and SkyTeam airlines amongst them.

• Lady London says:

PS For SkyTeam you could maybe take a bet and accrue in Virgin – but it’s a bet on the hookup happening between Virgin and SkyTeam and then a bet on what the earn/burn rates are, as and when it does happen.

I think taking a look at AS for accrual as in my other post might be the way to go.
      If your concern is status benefits for those flights, then if statusmatcher did not contain reports of success then you could have a quick look in flyertalk – which is the other source people with this need might post.

3. Scallder says:

OT: Was booking some reward seats for next year to Miami in Club and as it’s first long haul flight with daughter after she turned two we don’t get the free seat selection (and only a Blue!). It’s a 747 and looked at seat prices – the cheapest on offer was £93 per seat and for every seat upstairs, BA wanted £156. I know that status means you don’t have to pay and business tickets get free seat selection, but who is going to pay that amount?! Just absolutely ridiculous for seat selection…

• Enough people pay, and enough people don’t pay, that BA is happy to keep it at those prices.

• On the flipside, it keeps seats open for status holders, so prioritises frequent flyers. BA probably see it as a good investment for their biggest spenders, and if anyone wants to pay the sky-high fees they get the extra ££ too.

• Yeah I paid something like that (£150-£190 range, forget exactly) two choose the last pair seats on Club to Osaka. Was a bit annoying…

• On the upside, it is quite impressive how – if you’re Gold – you can book a short-haul flight even at 2-3 days notice and still get Row 1.

• Couple of weeks ago I did a same day change on a BA short haul and still got a row one seat.

So yes BA does look after it’s elites (though I’m gold I’ in no way shape or form a ‘big spender’)

Rather than spend money on seats choose one member of the family and use the cash you would have spent on seats to get them BAEC status. Remember even Bronze gets seat selection at 7 days before the flight so could be worth it!

• I’m not sure why you would want Row 1 in Club Europe!?

Impossible to stretch your legs ’cause of the bulkhead, the seats seem slightly narrower because the tables are in the arms, and you lose the benefit of the extra fold down table in the middle seat.

I suspect people are actively avoiding row 1. I am a mere Blue. I got 1F (pre-allocated) when I flew to Lisbon the other week on a redemption. 1D was empty.

Was in row 8 on the flight home and at least I could stretch my legs a little under the seat in front. Still bloody awful though. I wouldn’t book a CE redemption if economy was availabile. I was surprised how busy CE was, and suspect BA are simply making CE available for redemptions to maximise income.

The only good thing about the whole CE experience was the Cathay Lounge at T3 – nothing to do with BA.

My OH flies regularly between London and Lisbon on redemptions. He is also Blue and has also had Row 1 pre-allocated a couple of times.

If I find myself allocated Row 1 again I will be changing it. It was also surprisingly noisy.

• Spaghetti Town says:

Doubt it’s going to make much difference where you sit with Club Suite if travelling as a couple (i’ve not flown it)

• Jill (Kinkell) says:

Gee whiz, that’s outrageous. I booked Club to Miami for next year and bagged seats on the 747 UD, but I get free seat selection. I once paid for seats…in the days when it was about £60 and it was for UD on a 747 from Mauritius (on a 241). First time on the UD, so I felt it was worth a go at the time.

• I can just about see a good arguement for seat selection fees in economy although I think first booked first pick was fair enough. I dislike airlines charging for seat selection in premium cabins with a passion, especially from BA who have outrageous fares most of the time anyway.

• I somehow managed to bag 3 F outbound seats to MIA at T-355 for next Easter with a 2 4 1 so got free seat selection for all 3 of us, well worth 200,000 avios with the F experience as well! (Looking forward to trying out the Cathay Lounge).

• Scallder says:

Hi Anna,
        Was booking 3 as well as need some flights out there for a cruise we’re doing from Fort Lauderdale (flying Sat and cruise starts Monday as wanted plenty of time in case of delays!). There was only 2 Club seats on the first and last flights (of 3) of the day but was 11 it seems on the middle flight! Unfortunately First wasn’t there as would have certainly taken that if I had the option!

Am looking to doing a bit of lounge hopping around T3 though (even if can’t get in the Cathay First bit)!

• Enjoy, Miami’s so great. Came close to moving to Florida many years ago but was Gainesville, not Miami so that swung the decision.

• Thanks BJ, we’re only there for 3 days before flying down to the Caribbean but planning to do a bit of shopping and see the new Bond film at the Aventura Mall.

• Aston100 says:

Are F seats always available at t-355?

• No. Only 2J, 4Y guaranteed.

• Aston100 says:

Oh right, so if it’s a popular route (thinking JNB), I should just try and get J seats at t-355, and then keep an eye open for any F seats that come along later I presume?

• I must have just hit lucky, I was on ba.com at 1 am T-355 hoping for 3 redemption seats in CW or F to anywhere on the US East coast. My first choice was Miami so I tried that first and the first redemption seats to appear when I hit the search button were 3 in F. I do check my booking every so often to make sure it wasn’t just a dream 😂

• Lady London says:

Isn;t there something about children under 12 being normally seated next to the adult they’re travelling with free of charge? I am pretty sure there’s a legal requirement there and pretty sure most airlines say they will do that. A quick call the BA asking if that is something that would happen automatically due to the child’s age, would set your mind at rest.

I’m pretty sure you will get the right answer! 🙂

• It’s priced to not sell.

4. OT as well
    Has anyone noticed that now since the Eurostar changes, all accounts on Advantage (Amex transfer account) created automatically by the new program last year or a couple of years ago are now downgraded to Classic?
    Happened to mine and my wife’s

5. Sherri Elwick says:

Has anyone tried to get the discounted lounge vouchers? There is no discount as far as I can tell.

• Sherri Elwick says:

I can see the discount using the link on my phone but not via my PC. However in the T&Cs on the No1 website it states the vouchers are valid for one year. In Rob’s article it states they’re valid until 31st December 2020.

• It is very clear on the desktop site that the vouchers are valid until 31/12/20.

• Sherri Elwick says:

Thanks Rob, underneath in the T&Cs it states vouchers valid for a year. I called them and was advised because I already know when I’m flying I can redeem the vouchers immediately. And was also advised Promo code GIFT2019 is required.

• Shoestring says:

GIFT2019 code needed

6. Massively OT, but am after some advice on Costa Rica for next Summer.

Our draft itinerary is:
    – 1 night stop outside of San Jose (Alajuela)
    – 2 nights in Tortuguero
    – 4 nights in La Fortuna / Arenal
    – 2 nights in Monteverde
    – 4 nights on the beach

My queries are:
    1) Is this balance right? We also have a spare night to allocate to one of these places.
    2) Beach – we are debating between Manuel Antonio National Park, and Samara / Nosara. Which is best for beach plus activities?
    3) Hotels (obviously….!). My wife has a short-list. Are there are any stand-out hotels you’d recommend? Good points earning opportunities are welcome (I have the usual statuses from the Plat card, but nothing on the short-list is from those chains), but am happy to use hotels.com and collect towards a free night instead.
    4) Finally, transport – how did you get around? In developing countries I don’t normally hire a car, but am toying with it for Costa Rica. Am I crazy?

• I spent a few days in the country last year and the most outstanding hotel was the Peace Lodge (waterfall gardens) – an incredible place.

We booked private transfers with Rainforest Explorers – was more expensive that I presumed but the service was top notch (it takes a surprising amount of time to move around the country).

• That hotel looks lovely – am tempted to use our spare night to go there as an additional location.

With Rainforest Explorers, did you use them to organise your itinerary, or just for the transfers between your locations? From their website all I can see is a number of different 1 day tours which they operate in different areas across the country.

• Jill (Kinkell) says:

Hi
          We were in CR a couple of years ago. we had 2 nights outside San Jose( Alejuela) at a quirky small hotel Villa Rosa Blanca, which we thought was nice and different.. The 2 days allowed us to go on a coffee tour and visit LA Paz gardens and waterfalls. Our transfer to La Fortuna was a private 3 hour drive and we stayed at the Nayara Springs Hotel for 2 nights…lovely hotel and gardens, huge suite, with complimentary laundry . We did the hanging bridges, cocao plantation, waterfalls. 2 nights in La Fortuna was fine for us, then on to Monteverde. Our transfer was via boat across the lake, then almost 2 hours in a minibus on unpaved potholed roads…certainly an experience! In Monteverde we stayed at the Hotel Belmar , which was nice and informal, . We had a guide for the Cloud Forest and I have to say what he spotted we’d never have seen in a million years if we had been on our own.
          We didn’t go to Tortuguero as we were time limited, and no beach as we were heading to the port on pacific side to connect to a cruise which was heading up to San Diego.
          We liked CR and it is the most developed of the central america countries. Have a great trip

• Thanks Jill – it sounds an amazing country and I can’t wait. How did you organise your private transfers – was it via the hotels you were staying at in each place, or an independently company? I’m inclined to let someone else deal with unpaved and potholed roads!

• Jill (Kinkell) says:

Hi Chas…I booked our 6 day itinerary with Trailfinders..there were options of private or group transfers..we did private and glad we did as a couple we met in Monteverde did a group transfer and found it challenging. Not sure in what way. I’m sure there are lots of other companies and tour operators, both UK and in CR who can do ‘the business’ and would be fine. We were very happy with TF

• We booked a 1 day tour with them and as part of my communication with them, we got speaking about private transfers. They are a small family business – drop them a note and I’m sure they would be happy to help 🙂

• Yorkieflyer says:

Couple of years ago we hired a car from Avis one way car hire from airport, San Jose to Jaco on the Pacific then got a transfer to a cruise. Picking up the car took over an hour, endless paperwork but driving was fine, roads a bit poor off main routes but not busy and road etiquette ok, I wouldn’t plan on driving after dark though, great for seeing a bit more of the country under your own steam. Many comments you see on Costa Rica are from Americans who obviously consider the country to be a scary third world destination, not at all true!

• Thanks all – appreciate your feedback and further responses.

7. Spaghetti Town says:

Anyone else had the curve survey over the weekend?

• memesweeper says:

Yes. Perhaps the entire user base. Maybe only those that previously used HMRC…

• Scallder says:

Yes – would not be happy if that route got closed down or started charging for it…

• Agreed, but there are other ways. I thought it interesting for them to fish in that survey for who we’d use as an alternative!
        I suspect with the upcoming PSC changes in the private sector there will be a significant reduction in people paying HMRC, so if Curve do make these changes the benefit will be limited.

8. Ahhh I miss my free Amex Platinum & PP…. now paying for lounge seems a pain….

• If you need 12 nights at an independent hotel then booking with ebookers will get you Bonus+ latinum status which comes with two lounge passes per year. I also found that this status lasted longer than it was supposed to.

9. Which lounge will be the best option for a morning visit after 9am on a Sunday? Flying Norwegian on 20 December. TIA

10. I want to book a trip for my parents on their BAEC account (because they’ve got their 241 voucher on there). Can I transfer avios to their BAEC account?

11. O/T @EwanG, Andrew, Alan and others in Edinburgh and East Central Scotland: Just paid a car with amex at an Eastern Group Dealership so there is a good chance it works across all their garages. As you probably already know many, if not most, of the garages in Edinburgh are owned by this group. Didn’t ask, just popped my card in the reader and it worked.

• Full amount or deposit/balloon payment? I know that Western Volkswagen at Fort Kinnaird allow it as I tried with success recently.

• Ah good news, sounds promising, my payment was £6999 at Eastern Mercedes.

• Thanks BJ and Michael – I’ll bear this in mind for the future as no current plans to change cars.
          It would be a great way to hit the Business Amex spend thresholds.