Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Get a free helicopter transfer when you book a British Airways short break in Monaco!

If you’re looking for something different for a weekend break this Spring, British Airways Holidays is offering free helicopter transfers if you book a break in Monaco.

If you’ve never been on a helicopter, it is a very cool thing to do.

I think I’ve only been in a helicopter three times, and one of those times was to transfer from Nice Airport to Monaco.  (This was a corporate jolly, I wasn’t spending my own money.)  It isn’t a long flight at just 7 minutes, but skimming along the sea with the French coast off to your side makes it a very impressive one.

British Airways has teamed up with the Monaco Government Tourist & Convention Authority to offer free return helicopter transfers with a ‘flight and hotel’ booking of just three nights.

This offer is, unsurprisingly, only valid during the low season.  The smart thing may be to book as near to the end (or, in Autumn, the start) of the offer as possible to guarantee the best weather.

British Airways free Monaco helicopter transfer

The dates are:

Now to 31st March

1st October to 31st December (exc Christmas Day)

You need to book seven days in advance.  All bookings must be made by 31st January.

There is small print re the operating hours of the helicopter which you can easily miss as it is only available during the booking process:

“to qualify for the free helicopter transfer, flights must arrive into Nice between 08:00 and 16:45, and depart from Nice between 10:00 and 16:45, flights outside of these times will not receive the free helicopter transfer”

There is also a 23kg luggage limit per person.

You also receive “entrance to museums and attractions in the principality of Monaco”.  Whilst it isn’t mentioned on the main page, you also get “shared shuttle bus transfer from/to the Heliport and your chosen hotel”.

This is a really good deal in March.  I found three nights at Columbus Monte Carlo plus BA economy flights plus helicopter transfers for just £532 for two people (ie £266 each) for the last weekend in March.

Remember that the usual BA Holidays benefits apply.  You earn 1 bonus Avios for every £1 you spend, and if you pay on a British Airways Premium Plus American Express card you will receive double Avios (3 per £1) from Amex.  If your booking is large enough, you can just pay a deposit now with the balance due seven weeks before departure.

Your flights will earn Avios and tier points, but BA Holidays bookings do not qualify for On Business points in the BA small business scheme.

Full details can be found on ba.com here.

Comments (59)

• Cuchlainn says:

Late December I booked for self and OH for this trip via BA Holidays, including Columbus Hotel but no heli transfer, for the Monte Carlo Masters tournament in mid-April.

What are the most suitable transfers for mere mortals from NCE to Monte Carlo ? TIA

• Rob says:

Train? There is a station near the airport – walkable if you’re light on luggage – which saves you having to do into Central Nice, which is a horribly expensive taxi ride (or a painful bus ride).

• Vitali says:

Nah, don’t do the trains, it’s not your typical commute after all, it’s Monaco and should be done in style! Taxi ride is 100 EUR and helicopter transfer 140 EUR, you probably guess what carries more style :)) You are not walking across multiply roads, and across various barriers with NO visible navigation (it’s France!) with your suitcase wheels banging on those tram rails and annoying sidewalks!!!

• Vitali says:

pre-booked taxis are from 78 eur. why so much for 30 min ride you may ask, because every taxi driver is paying a 1000+ eur yearly license fee in order to be let in Monaco. and Uber is banned in Monaco, while perfectly fine in France.

• Brighton Belle says:

Tram now running from T1 & T2 into central Nice and over to the port in a new tunnel. €1.50
        Tram is free from airport to train at Nice St Augustin one stop west of Nice Ville.

• DK says:

Just booked 3 nights for £223. Thanks a lot for the heads up Rob

• laineyling says:

Thank you for the heads up on this. We were considering whether to take a helicopter tour in Dubai as my 2yr old finds them fascinating. Instead we will now get a holiday for not much more than the dubai 15min ride would have cost. Going that last weekend in March to hotel hermitage… Maybe see a few of hfp readers there?

• Sue says:

I have done this trip it is absolutely amazing my husband and I stayed in Monaco for Christmas one year fabulous the helicopter ride was the highlight we even had a chauffeur driven limo from the landing to the hotel we stayed at the port palace amazing

• AppleW says:

Just booked for 3 nights in the Columbus in October, which is running a ‘free night’ offer from 11 October. Paid a little extra to get an upgraded deluxe sea view room, but still great value !

• Axel says:

This appears to have expired early, sadly…

• eli says:

which part of the offer has expired?
    I booked this morning for December 2020 and it no longer showed in red “includes helicopter”… but since on the next page it still said eligible booking include helicopter… and my booking was eligible, I went ahead.
    I got £412 for 3 nights at the Novotel flying out 7th December and back 10th December.

did I miss out on something?

• Rob says:

Odd. Yesterday it wasn’t showing! I will have a look later.

• eli says:

as mentioned I booked yesterday early morning when it was no longer showing in red the helicopter transfer. I called BA holidays this morning and they said my booking is perfectly eligible. fingers crossed and i’ll get my helicopter transfer weather permitting in early December.

(Also, after my trip to Monaco I will need to travel elsewhere. can I simply ditch the return flight back to the UK and just make my own way from Nice, would that breach my contract?)

• AC says:

Yeah well… I emailed them twice yesterday asking if it is still available… before booking it, no reply, then phoned and spoke to 3 people from BA in the afternoon, all assuring me after i specifically asked about this if it is still running and if I book now I will get it. So i booked… and this morning they just replied saying the offer expired in the morning. I mean. this is ridiculous. I specifically called them up to get confirmation it is there before booking, as otherwise I wouldnt have spent so much money on an expensive hotel in Monte Carlo, as the only reason was the offer made it worth it. Would have just booked for Nice, or another trip. This is very shitty customer service. Ive been using BA for years now and this never happened, or with other companies.
          You should be aware of your offers and when they expire, and if you aren’t then ask someone in the team who knows. But don’t just advise people to book things based on false information. I doubt they will give me my money back, even though I requested it and that should be the decent thing to do, or the voucher for the helicopter. Nice job, BA.

• eli says:

that is so frustrating!!!
            they should at least refund you based on misinformation.

Having checked the website again they have now indeed removed all the Monte Carlo passport information and no mention of helicopter transfer.

• AC says:

yeah 🙁 i’ve been emailing with them all day. hoping they can do one or the other… the best bit about it all is that it’s my birthday that week and this is supposed to be my birthday trip :/ so yaaaay fun ! i’m waiting to see what they can resolve… i should have a final answer soon hopefully. Really hope they can do something about it :(….. yeah they also said it officially got removed yesterday morning…. even tho no one from their BA team seem to know that when i called them…