Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

British Airways drops plastic cards for Executive Club status members

British Airways has decided to end the practice of automatically sending out plastic cards to Gold, Silver and Bronze members of British Airways Executive Club.

It has also stopped issuing paper ‘Golden Tickets’ to hand out to staff members who provide excellent service.

Gold members will still be able to issue digitial ‘Golden Tickets’ via an upcoming new feature on ba.com, which will have the added advantage of allowing you to nominate multiple people.

British Airways drop plastic cards for Executive Club status members

Intriguingly, Gold Guest List Members, Premier card holders, Gold for Life and Gold Guest List for Life Members WILL continue to receive membership packs and physical Golden Tickets.

Anyone who does still want to receive a Bronze, Gold or Silver plastic card – and the associated luggage tags – can order one via their Executive Club account.

Comments (185)

• Lady London says:

Hum. Wondering will the exchange rate be weighted then?

• Michael says:

Virgin Atlantic now extending status and voucher expiry by 6 months

• Simon says:

Just identified an expensive new sofa we’d like at John Lewis. Off down Morrisons for a bit of serious triple dipping over the weekend then.

• tom1 says:

o/t Tesco / virgin auto convert bonus

Has anyone got the 1,000 (?) bonus points for turning this on yet?

• Roy says:

O/T I presume there’s no reason why the reduction in points requirement for IHG Spire wouldn’t apply to points earned via the credit card, too?

I suspect that for many this change has made achieving Spire elite status primarily through credit card spend achievable when previously it wasn’t. (For me, it’s changed it from clearly impossible to merely very difficult 🙂

So, the question is, should we go for it? Should I put all my credit card spend through the IHG card? I’m thinking that 25,000 bonus points on £27,500 spend – less if you get points from IHG stays – seems to make the IHG card significantly more attractive this year.

Maybe worth an article, Rob? At least once things have calmed down from the current 8-articles-a-day chaos 🙂

• AJA says:

I wonder when the no physical BAEC card policy kicked in? My Tier Point year ended 8 February 2020. In today’s post I received my renewal envelope from BAEC with a letter dated February 2020 confirming that I have renewed Silver status and enclosed in the envelope is a card showing validity until 03/21. Unlike last year however there were no luggage tags. That is fine with me.

• Roy says:

O/T Anyone have any idea what’s happened to Holiday Inn Express properties in Hamburg? None of them (City Centre, Hauptbahnhof, St Pauli) seem to be bookable any more.

Are changes afoot for the HIX brand?

• Roy says:

Thinking about it, I guess it must be related to lack of demand. (Central Hamburg hotel demand is very much driven by shows at the Hamburg Messe, which are pretty much non-existent now due to the 1,000-person limit on public events.)

Anyone know what’s happened to the hotels in question, though?

• Roy says:

Ok, to answer my own question, it appears that Hamburg’s Holiday Inn Express hotels (all three of them) – have rebranded as Premier Inn!

• Aliks says:

I’m calling BA to cancel a reward flight to Spain that is due to take off at 10 am tomorrow. There is a recorded message that cuts off every time, — just before the bit telling the caller what to do about flights within the next 72 hours.
    Does anyone know a better contact number than 0344 493 0747?
    I cant cancel online as I already checked in – 30 minutes before the Spanish government put the country on lockdown.