Workaround found! How to trigger an online British Airways flight refund using Google Chrome

EDIT Monday 30th March – Some people are reporting today that this workaround is not working for them. If it does not work as described, it is probably not your fault!

Our main article today is about BA’s unwillingness to let you claim an online cash refund for an Avios flight.

We have now found a way of triggering a cash refund – as opposed to a voucher – without calling British Airways (and waiting hours in the queue …..)

This next chunk of text is for getting a refund of your taxes on Avios bookings which have not yet been cancelled by BA.

For a refund on a CASH or Avios BA flight booking which has been cancelled, scroll down this page and read the PS. at the bottom.

If you have a CASH BA flight booking which is NOT showing as cancelled, do NOT follow any of the advice on this page.  You are not yet able to get a cash refund.  You either need to accept the British Airways travel voucher offered or wait until your flight is cancelled and then follow the steps above.

To be clear:

Got an Avios booking which is not yet cancelled?  Read on

Got an Avios booking which is cancelled?  Go to the PS at the bottom

Got a cash booking which is cancelled?  Go to the PS at the bottom

Got a cash booking which is not yet cancelled?   Sorry, there is no way of getting a cash refund.  You need to accept the BA voucher or wait for your flight to be cancelled.

How can you stop British Airways forcing a flight voucher on you?

A IT-savvy reader, Antonio, has found the solution.

In summary ….. if you turn off JavaScript in Google Chrome then ba.com will take you to the full cancellation page.

Here’s proof it works:

How to trigger an online Avios flight refund using Google Chrome

This is how to do it, using the Google Chrome broswer.

Go into ‘Manage My Booking’ on ba.com and select ‘Cancellation options for this booking’.  You must be logged in and using the BA account of the person who booked, ie the person who is named on the confirmation email.

You are taken to the ‘consent’ screen:

How to trigger an online Avios flight refund using Google Chrome

Do NOT continue the process, as you will only be taken to the ‘Future Travel Voucher’ page which you don’t want.  In order to cancel, you need to first disable JavaScript in Chrome.  (If you are not using Chrome, you need to find out how your browser handles JavaScript.)

This is how you do it:

Click the ‘three dots’ in the top right corner of Chrome

Scroll down to ‘Settings’ and click – this opens a new ‘Settings’ page

Click ‘Privacy & Security’ in the left menu – this brings the ‘Privacy & Security’ section to the top

Click ‘Site Settings’ in the ‘Privacy & Security’ section

Scroll down to the ‘Permissions’ section and click ‘JavaScript’

Turn off JavaScript by toggling the ‘Allowed’ button

Do NOT close the window as you need to turn it back on later.  Switch back to the window where you have the ba.com ‘Consent’ page open.  Tick the ‘Please tick here’ box and click ‘Continue’.

You will now be on the standard cash cancellation screen.

Turn JavaScript back on.

You can cancel your booking for a full cash refund of your taxes, and with your Avios returned.

But don’t forget …..

You will be still be paying the £35 per person cancellation fee on a long-haul booking.  If you want to avoid this, you need to wait until BA cancels your flight automatically, assuming it does not operate.

If you paid for seat selection, you LOSE this money if you cancel.  You may prefer to take the travel voucher as I believe the seat selection value is retained, either as part of the voucher or as a credit for free seat selection when you rebook.

PS.  How to get a refund for a CASH British Airways booking

If you are looking to refund a CASH booking which has already been cancelled, this is an alternative set of steps:

1) Go into Manage My Booking on ba.com and select the flight shown as cancelled

2) Go into your browser’s settings and disable JavaScript – for Chrome, follow the instructions I outlined earlier in this article for cancelling an Avios booking

3) Go back to ‘Manage My Booking’ and click on the ‘Cancel and Refund’ button which is just under the cancellation notice

4) Confirm that you now see the correct cash refund form and not the voucher refund form

5) Turn JavaScript back on in your browser settings

6) Click on the “Yes” radio button to select that you are a person in the booking

7) When nothing happens press “Enter” on your keyboard. (this works in Firefox and Chrome). The page refreshes and shows an error at the top of the page “email address invalid”

8) Click on the “Yes” radio button again

9) Complete and submit the form

You will see this screen:

British Airways cancellation

For absolute clarity, do NOT cancel a CASH flight if you have not received an email from British Airways saying that your flight is cancelled.  If your flight is still showing as operating, cancelling means you lose EVERYTHING except a nominal amount in taxes.

British Airways suspends all flights from London City Airport
Why is British Airways deliberately blocking online cash refunds for Avios flight bookings?

AMEX Gold 20,000 bonus points

Comments

1. Paul Daly says:

Had a ba booking to NYC that I paid cash for as part of ba holiday booking for last week (premium econ flight + hotel) – then called BA and used avios to upgrade to clubs orle both legs.

They have refunded total paid in cash (including additional tax paid to upgrade to club seat) but not the avios used to upgrade (just over 40000) am I entitled to these back or lost them?

Cheers all!

• James G says:

I am curious about that as well. Did you cancel online or by phone?

I have a trip coming up holiday and flight with club world upgrade- they emailed me today asking me to call up and discuss options (flight to Dubai in first week of May so basically we know its going to be cancelled) I wonder if you can get the avios back when speaking to them on the phone whilst cancelling if that makes sense?

Either way I’m not calling before it’s officially cancelled

• Paul daly says:

All done by them automatically via an email James but yet to see the avios used for upgrade part credited

2. Stupid question I know, but using the new form for a cash refund it clearly does not confirm what the cash refund will be and it states that you confirm that you accept whatever they work it out to be. Just to be absolutely sure, I have a booking where the outbound has been cancelled but the return is still operating (booked as one reservation). If I request a cash refund will this be for the total amount of the reservation?

• I am in the same situation. BA is being really sneaky with this refund process. Firstly they’re making it so difficult to get a cash refund and then being so opaque over your rights and what is due back to you. It’s not making me feel very warm to them.

• I’m in the same situation – would be great to know your outcome as I am debating whether to wait until they cancel my full itinenary before claiming the refund. Stay safe!

3. I have used Shoestring’s link to claim cash refund today, but I have not got an email reply (3 hours later). Worried that my request is not getting through. So repeated the request 15 minutes ago. Still no confirmation email. Is this normal?

Tried calling 4 times, but BA just cut you off.

4. Graham Law says:

I’m rather disappointed to see links to an illegal bitcoin trading app on your website.

• Shoestring says:

and we’re all disappointed you clicked on that link in the past as the ads follow you & your clicking history to a large extent, not the site you’re on

• Blame Google. Unfortunately, Google only pretends to take action to protect your welfare. Whilst I can block that ad from HFP – and I have – Google will not implement the ban for at least two hours. Yet, bizarrely, it can search a trillion web pages in a fraction of a second when you do a search. Odd that.

5. I’m a little confused by what I should be doing.

So I have a flight booked from LHR to ICN via HONG KONG.
    I did part payment option so approximately 100K Avios + an extra £500 + taxes

BA informed me that the second leg has now been cancelled and this therefore means my holiday is no longer. So I used the refund form suggested on here to cancel my flight. Having read the above and knowing that I paid an Extra £500 quid to get the tickets. I’m now curious if I’ve done the right thing to get a full refund and get everything returned.
    I’m hoping someone can advise me.

6. Harry T says:

This work around no longer appears to work, as they send you to a completely different page when you click through MMB.

BA has cancelled the outbound leg of my return flights from NCL to LHR in April/May but not the inbound, so I’m trying to find a way to claim my cash refund under EC261. Obviously ringing would be inappropriate at this stage.

7. Hal Rollason says:

I have an upcoming booking flying Glasgow to London on the 27th april and return London to Glasgow on the 28th. I have had notification that the London to Glasgow leg has been cancelled and there is a wee red dot underneath that flight, but NOT underneath the Glasgow to London leg. I was just about to cancel when i wondered if i would only get half the cash back. It is a return booking made with one BA reference booking code

8. Not impressed with BA going even further out of their way to make it difficult to get a cash refund. I know it’s exceptional circumstances but I won’t forget this in a hurry.

2 x forms submitted, could be months before I get a response.

Wanted to cancel the Amex Platinum that I used to book the flights but I guess I can’t do that now.

9. Matt F says:

I was booked for a May 3 flight from Los Angeles to Rome, I originally paid via cash + ~28K Avios points. I have already applied for and received my voucher. Am I completely out of luck on getting back the Avios points that I spent months racking up?

• Shoestring says:

the Avios are kept in a suspense account for you to use or lose on the replacement booking, you should be able to see them somewhere

• Matt F says:

That is reassuring, though I don’t see them in the account. I guess I’ll have to call. Thank you so much for the info + quick reply.

• Is that the case? I have heard of others getting a voucher for the full orignal cash price, with the Avios not coming back.

10. David A says:

OT: I bagged one of the £205 economy returns to Sydney in Qantas’ centenary sale: https://www.headforpoints.com/2019/11/18/how-to-fly-to-sydney-for-205-return/

They have issued a £200 voucher, which won’t get me to Sydney. Has anyone who also got one tried to get a ticket credit instead? If not that, then I’d like a refund.

• Shoestring says:

if it departs the UK/ EU, then you paid for a ticket under EC261 rules so you can demand & get re-ticketing instead on a later flight

• You’re legally entitled to cash, although it may be something you decide to pursue in a couple of months.

• Lady London says:

You have the right to demand a replacement of your Sydney ticket for later travel on a date of your choosing.

Do NOT let them presume you accept a voucher.
      Communicate with them at the earliest opportunity with your booking details and the them that you invoke your right under EU261 to be “rerouted” i.e. to have same travel on later date. Keep a record of that communication.

11. I used the workaround to successfully refund a redemption using a 241. However, since I added the return leg at a later date due to T-355 bookings I ended up with two PNR. Hence, when cancelling our two flights I was charged 4x£35 instead of 2x£35 cancellation fees. Are readers in same situation just accepting this or challenging BA that tbe cancellation fees are twice as high as they should be because BA processed a return flight as two one way flights?