Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Tesco Clubcard launches an Avios competition but no points conversion bonus

Tesco Clubcard and Avios have launched a competition for anyone who converts their Clubcard points to British Airways Executive Club Avios during August.

As a reminder, both Avios and Virgin Flying Club are Tesco Clubcard partners.   When you convert:

1 Tesco Clubcard point = 2.4 Avios (details here)

1 Tesco Clubcard point = 2.5 Virgin Flying Club miles (details here)

As 1 Clubcard point is only worth 1p when spent in a Tesco store, this is clearly far more attractive.  However, you also need to look at other Clubcard partner deals.

Hotels.com, for example, offers you 3p of credit for every 1p of Tesco Clubcard vouchers you convert.  You don’t earn Hotels.com Rewards credits when you do this, so it isn’t a genuine ‘3 to 1’ conversion, but some people will find it just as attractive.

You can also use Tesco Clubcard vouchers to book selected Hilton hotels, with 1p of vouchers worth a 3p discount.  Even better, these count as qualifying stays in Hilton Honors.  You can learn more about the Tesco Clubcard / Hilton partnership in our article here.

Anyway, back to the competition.

Tesco Avios competition

What do you win?  There are 100 prizes of 24,000 Avios each

How do you enter?  You receive an entry when you convert at least £2.50 of Tesco Clubcard vouchers to Avios

What is the deadline?  You must convert your points between 1st August and 31st August

Are people who auto-convert included automatically?  Yes

Do you receive more entries for converting more points?  No.  This is important – you do NOT get four entries if you convert £10-worth of Tesco Clubcard vouchers.  It is limited to one entry per person.

To be honest, I was expecting some form of Avios conversion bonus.  Historically this is something that British Airways has done when it wants to raise some money, as Tesco has to pay for every Avios point that you receive.  It wouldn’t have surprised me to see a 100% bonus, so to see nothing at all is very strange.

Will see a conversion bonus next quarter?  I obviously don’t know.  As usual, I don’t recommend converting your Tesco Clubcard vouchers to Avios immediately.  Not only could you miss out on a future conversion bonus, but you could also miss out on a great offer from a different Tesco Clubcard partner.

That said ….. I might take a punt and convert £2.50-worth of my current £25 stash!  The odds of winning are probably not too bad given that there are 100 prizes, and with each prize worth 24,000 Avios it is nothing to be sniffed at.

I don’t see any point in converting more than £2.50-worth of vouchers unless, of course, you are planning to use the Avios immediately.

how to earn avios from credit cards

How to earn Avios from UK credit cards (April 2021)

As a reminder, there are various ways of earning Avios from UK credit cards.  Many cards also have generous sign-up bonuses.

There are two official British Airways American Express cards:

British Airways American Express card

British Airways American Express

5,000 Avios for signing up, no annual fee and a companion voucher for spending £20,000 Read our full review

BA Premium Plus American Express card BAPP

British Airways American Express Premium Plus

25,000 Avios and the UK’s most valuable credit card perk – the 2-4-1 companion voucher Read our full review

You can also get generous sign-up bonuses by applying for American Express cards which earn Membership Rewards points, such as:

Nectar American Express

American Express Preferred Rewards Gold

Your best beginner’s card – 20,000 points, FREE for a year & two airport lounge passes Read our full review

American Express Platinum card Amex

The Platinum Card from American Express

30,000 points and an unbeatable set of travel benefits – for a fee Read our full review

Click here to read our detailed summary of all UK credit cards which earn Avios. This includes both personal and small business cards.

If you have a small business, we especially recommend Capital On Cap’s Visa card which comes with a generous bonus worth 10,500 Avios:

Capital On Tap Business Rewards Visa

The most generous Avios Visa or Mastercard for a limited company Read our full review

(Want to earn more Avios?  Click here to visit our home page for our latest articles on earning and spending your Avios points and click here to see how to earn more Avios this month from offers and promotions.)

Comments (43)

• Nick says:

Have Tesco decided yet whether to extend August expiring vouchers? They did for the last ones in May but are surprisingly quiet about it this time around… anyway, if they don’t then everyone should check!

For this competition, 100 prizes give very low odds given the number of people who convert to Avios. So not really worth it.

• jimA says:

odds arent great but its free ! So if you are likely to convert it must be worth a punt to do it now

• Pete C says:

Out of interest, does anyone know why redeeming Clubcard points at Tesco is always the worst value option? I thought the general rule was that you got less value when the points provider had to write out a cheque to a third party?

• Mr(s) Entitled says:

My guess is that this is where 90% of the points end up so they don’t need to try very hard. The other options are for marketing purposes to make the scheme look great safe in the knowledge that the vast majority will never have the inclination to redeem against them.

• Nick says:

What we don’t see is the ‘price’ Tesco is actually giving the third party company. I would hazard a guess it’s not actually all that much over the face value – certainly won’t be the amount you think you’re getting as a redemption. Tesco are known for driving very hard contract negotiations.

• Lady London says:

Boost promotions (gutted from Tesco) used to make spending them in Tesco useful.

Christmas Club used to have a couple of useful features, not sure if they’ve stopped that.

Both the above, as usual, were practically gone by the time I woke up to them 🙁

• the_real_a says:

Because the partners “subsidise” the 2x or 3x multiplier. Tesco still pay the same 1p or thereabouts to the partner. The math’s works because the vast majority of Tesco clubcard customers only redeem a very small % of the full value of redemption – so on an averaged basis its still profitable once the customer pays the “difference in cash”. The other selling point is that a Tesco customer is not a “typical customer” and the risk of cannibalisation of sales (i.e. the redemption customer would have paid full cash price in the event the redemption was not in place) is low.

• Rob says:

Also worth noting that most partners offer stuff with no marginal cost. No-one is offering you goods which have a high input cost.

• Pete C says:

Thanks – all good points I hadn’t considered!

• AJA says:

I have 2 vouchers in my Club Card account – one for £2 which expires in Aug 2021 and another for £2.50 which expires in Feb 2022. Ideally I only want to convert £2.50 to Avios so can simply click on the latter voucher but that means I lose out on the longer validity. If I select both vouchers but then only convert £2.50 do I get £2 back with a longer time validity?

• James Wilson says:

Hi Guys, I cant see how to enter the tesco comp, no mention on the website?

Anyone have the link?

Thanks!

• Rob says:

There is no link. It is mentioned in the BA Executive Club smartphone app, but hasn’t yet made it onto the BA website. You don’t need to register, just make your transfer.

• Matt says:

I have one Tesco account. I guess it’s not possible to enter twice by using my BA number and then my wife’s? I presume you can only use a BA account in the same name as the Tesco clubcard account?

• Pat the Postie says:

I like Kaligo, I had 3 non refundable bookings to Greece that they managed to let me cancel and rebook with an extended expiry date, very good!

• Graham says:

Cant find any mention of it on the tesco clubcard site

• Jackj says:

Are we sure it even exists? HFP is the only site promoting it.

• Rob says:

Didn’t you get an email from BA about it yesterday?

Download the Executive Club app – it is promoted on the home page there too.