Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Save £100 on a £350 spend at Small Luxury Hotels

Small Luxury Hotels of the World has launched a new cashback offer with American Express.

I have it on my Platinum card and my wife has it on her Gold card. I’m not sure what other cards may have it.

If you stay at a participating hotel in the UK or Europe (click here for the list) before the end of the year, you will receive £100 cashback on a spend of £350+.

Small Luxury Hotels American Express cashback

The offer is not well explained, unfortunately.

SLH is a marketing consortium, not a chain. This means that it isn’t clear:

whether you must book via the SLH website or not?

whether bookings via other channels, such as Hyatt (who market SLH hotels) or intermediaries such as Hotels.com count?

whether direct bookings count?

My impression – and don’t rely on this – is that as long as you pay at the hotel you are fine. This should even apply to ‘pay at hotel’ bookings made via Hotels.com. I don’t think the Small Luxury Hotels website needs to be used.

SLH also has a programme for luxury travel agents called Invited. This can get you valuable extra benefits at no additional cost. Our hotel booking partner Emyr Thomas can book these for you and as all Emyr bookings are ‘pay on departure’ it will trigger the cashback too. You can contact Emyr via this page of HfP – don’t book an SLH property without seeing what he can do.

PS. A lot of other Amex cashback offers have appeared this week. As well as 5% back on LNER train tickets, £100 off £500 at Cheval aparthotels and £50 off £400 at Hand Picked Hotels, there are a few high fashion deals including Armani, Zegna, Burberry, La Perla and Boss.

Comments (13)

• Roger* says:

SLH ‘Available in-store only’ on my BAPP card.

• vol says:

It’s available on my free membership rewards card and my BAPP

• Simon says:

All the offers you mentioned above showing on my BAPP card

• Yorkieflyer says:

Yes, awaiting same in US

• Kevin C says:

I got £50 off £500 spend on Bremont Watches which was a bit of a downgrade on the previous £400 discount.

• TGLoyalty says:

FYI SLH Invited has a 3 for 2 offer at some hotels which may stack nicely with this.

• Darren says:

Checked The Ampersand to see if this would stack, the 3 for 2 came up as prepay which may stop this from working.
      Nice hotel though, had a couple of pleasant stays a while ago.

• TGLoyalty says:

In reality these only say at checkout because if you were to book but not actually pay before the closing date you wouldn’t be eligible.

• Rob says:

It is. I often use the lounge for meetings if contacts are heading to/from Heathrow.

• Darren says:

There’s a member discount rate payable at checkout which would stack.

• WaynedP says:

Travelzoo Experience so far:

Purchased £49 Std Room incl Breakfast Travelzoo voucher after HfP article, which required submission of all personal data necessary for any UK hotel booking.

Sent request to redeem voucher to [email protected] email address, prepared for 72 hour response time as warned.

Received email from Reservations at leonardo hotels within 24 hours requesting information “necessary to check room availability and make the reservation”.

Recognised that as a personal data fishing expedition, but provided it again anyway, reminding recipient of their GDPR obligations and stipulating not to use my data for any purposes unrelated to my planned stay.

Heard nothing for next 12 days, then sent email to both travelzoo and leonardo hotels email addresses requesting confirmation of my booking.

Received confirmation email 48 hours later from Jurys Inn Exeter, but with request to provide the very same personal data information that leonardo hotels requested from me “for the purpose of checking availability and making the reservation”. Seems like leonardo hotels failed at the one task they were authorised to use my data for…

Also, on checking in online at Jury’s Inn, confirmation page only shows “room” as paid for and offered me the opportunity to add breakfast as £22 per guest, when travelzoo voucher clearly stated room plus breakfast for two included.

I hope this one isn’t going to end up being more trouble than it was worth due to an ill-thought out whizzy, marketing campaign or one that is poorly communicated to front-line staff.

• Lady London says:

I thinj I would send a note headed GDPR to all parties reminding them that you specifically restricted any other use or retention of your data other than for specific hotel booking and only as needed to process your booking on the specific date the hotel is booked. In the Leonardo case I’d state you are concerned as it appeared your data was not used for the pyrpose you permitted as you received a separatebrequest from the Leonardo hotel requesting the same data you’d already provided for that purpose.

I’d request their confirmation within 7 days including that your data has not been sold, provided to nor accessed by any other party and will not be.

As you suspect I think Travelzoo has a back end sale of all your data going.

• Chris Heyes says:

Rob yes that’s my problem loads of money off Vouchers have started to appear over 50 on my card today. Gr
    Not one offer for Avios with spend
    My problem is i don’t want or need money off offers
    i want offers which give me extra Avios, i used to get loads of extra Avios offers down to only two which run out this month
    contacted Amex they say nothing they can do
    (but is that really true ?)
    i had loads with extra Avios pre-covid,
    i told them i have enough money give me Avios
    they suggested buying Avios, but that defeats the point, it’s a game to me if i bought avios it would ruin the fun