Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Get up to £50 American Express cashback with PayPal

American Express has launched a cashback deal with PayPal. It is effectively free money if you are targeted for the offer.

There seem to be two versions, one for personal cards and one for business cards.

On my Marriott Bonvoy American Express, I am offered £15 cashback on a £70 PayPal payment.

On my Business Platinum card I am offered £50 cashback on a £250 PayPal payment.

Both offers expire on 4th March. Registrations are limited so register now via your online Amex statement or the app if you are targetted.

It seems that the cashback will trigger irrespective of whether you are sending money to a friend or making a purchase from a retailer. The wording implies that you must hit the spend target in a single transaction.

It isn’t necessary to have a PayPal account to buy something using the PayPal option online. This is a common misconception. You can simply click ‘pay with PayPal’ and enter your card details directly.

Remember that goods purchased via PayPal do not qualify for Section 75 cover if the retailer goes bust or the product is not as you expect.

This doesn’t make any difference compared to paying directly with American Express business cards or charge cards as Section 75 does not cover those anyway. You are giving up coverage if you use PayPal rather than an American Express credit card. PayPal does have its own redress scheme but it is voluntary.

Remember to register now, if targeted, on the American Express website and complete your transaction by 4th March.

Comments (91)

• VinZ says:

I have it on my Vitality Amex…

• HuThUn says:

Any other ideas on how to use this apart from M&S e-cards and the dubious Paypal ‘pay-your-friend-but-then-get-shutdown’ approach?

I’ve got this on 2 BA + 1 Plat + 1 Plat supp and although I’ll most likely be consuming £70 x 4 in M&S over 2021, it’s going to take a while and I’d rather not faff about with gift cards too much if possible…

• J says:

This is far too much effort and in no way worth doing compared to transferring straight to a friend. But given it’s a ebay £1 selling weekend, I’d imagine you could set a listing on a friend’s account, buy it on your account. From the £70 they’d pay £1 ebay fees and (I think) £0.30 + 3% in paypal fees. So you’d lose £3.40, but it would (stupidly) be less likely to raise a flag.

• The real John says:

Just buy a voucher or gift card on ebay

You can even buy euros and US dollars (but there is definitely some dodgy stuff going on there).

• Andrew says:

Well considering it’s got almost 2 months to run this offer – just hold off for now and probably between now and then you might buy something online for £70, remembering that practically every retailer takes PayPal.

• Jordan D says:

Thankfully I have a few things to pay, which can be done via PayPal, so this is timely. Alas it is only on one card (one of my wife’s), but will take any freebie going …!

• Doug M says:

Check back in the next couple of days. Definitely appeared on a sup of mine today, it wasn’t there yesterday. But it was on the main card yesterday.

• Aston100 says:

How many wife’s do you have?

• QFFlyer says:

Just one I’m guessing, given the correct use of punctuation, wife’s indicating one belonging to the wife, and the plural of wife being wives.

• Delbert says:

Thanks for prompt to check my offers, Rob. Nothing on BA or Gold charge card or my wife’s BA or Gold charge card supplementaries, but did find £15 for £70 spend on my Nectar card.

• Bob says:

If anyone wonders, I’ve asked Amex, it should be minimum £250 spent in one transaction. Not cumulative.

• bafan says:

Got £15 off £70 on my free BA Amex. I’ve switched to other cards in recent months and I’ve noticed the offers getting better.

• Jacob says:

Not there for me on the old gold credit card 🙁

Always miss out on the good offers. Even shop small did not appear for me. Usually it’s just car hire, which I rarely make use of.

• bartas8891 says: