Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Bits: check the expiry of any new BA 2-4-1 vouchers, Rhys wins an award, Midpoint winners

News in brief:

Check the expiry date of any new BA Amex 2-4-1 vouchers

The Avios IT migration is 95% complete and you should now be able to log in to your account (unless your password includes an ‘&’ sign) and complete most tasks. Just don’t try anything radical such as booking a redemption on American Airlines or moving your Avios from Iberia to BA.

There is a bug with newly issued British Airways American Express 2-4-1 companion vouchers.

Until 31st December 2021, all new companion vouchers come with an additional six months of validity. Vouchers on the free British Airways American Express come with 18 months validity which those from the Premium Plus American Express come with 30 months.

(You may want to bring forward your next voucher to trigger it before 31st December to maximise its validity, but this is a discussion for another day.)

Unfortunately, someone forget to tell the computer about this.

Here is a ba.com screenshot showing a newly issued companion voucher:

British Airways companion voucher

As you can see, the latest voucher has only been issued for 24 months and not 30 months. I know at least two other HfP readers are in the same boat.

Hopefully BA pick this up after reading the above and make the necessary adjustments before people feel the need to start calling up.

Business Travel Journalism Awards

Rhys wins an award!

I’m delighted to say that Rhys has won ‘Best Newcomer To Business Travel Journalism‘ in the 2021 Business Travel Journalism Awards.

The judges said that:

‘Rhys’ great passion for aviation and in-depth knowledge of the industry are reflected in his well-informed pieces peppered with detailed statistical insights and analysis’.

Many of you will know that Rhys has also started to contribute aviation pieces to The Sunday Times travel section in recent months, although the award was based purely on his HfP writing.

It’s an especially good result because, for half of the judging period, Rhys was running our commercial activity during Sinead’s maternity leave and had to cut back on his writing.

Sadly covid restrictions have meant that the lavish in-person awards ceremony was replaced by a series of tweets for the second year. You may question how we are meant to give confidence to the travelling public when a group of business travel writers are not allowed to come together for an evening ….

Anika won the same award back in 2017. The benefit of having a small team, and the fact that my role has become more admin and desk based as the years have passed, is that our young writers have the chance to get stuck into the big stories of the day from Day 1.

Well done Rhys.

Earn Avios with Midpoint

Our Midpoint competition winners revealed

We recently ran a special bonus Avios promotion with foreign currency transfer specialist Midpoint.

As well as getting bonus Avios for making a transfer during the promotion, five lucky new Midpoint customers were chosen at random and given 10,000 bonus Avios.

(When I say ‘given’, they will turn up whenever the Avios IT migration sort itself out.)

The winners were:

• Yuval L
  • Jonathan S
  • Scott S
  • Irene F-S
  • Daniel T

Congratulations to the five of you.

If you want to earn Avios on your next foreign currency transfer – as well as paying tiny fees and getting the interbank FX rate – take a look at what Midpoint can offer you by reading this article.

Comments (91)

• Joan says:

Well done Rhys ⭐️

• TJOB says:

I upgraded my card from basic to premium and then triggered the voucher but ive been waiting at least 6 weeks for them to amend the expiry date to 30 months and i’m not getting anywhere, they’re ‘looking in to it’

Any suggestions please 🙁

• Jonathon says:

I’m still waiting for my Amex points to transfer across. BA told me to contact Amex about it, though I have a suspicion it’s a BA issue not an Amex one..

• Thywillbedone says:

If it is any consolation, I am missing over 300k Avios – part of a redemption cancellation that occurred just prior to the IT switchover.

• Susan says:

Board Brain help:

Situation – BA has just cancelled the inbound direct on BA-metal flight of a 5 night BAHols booking to RAK next February (5 night is important as qualifies for double tier points). The replacement flight offered is the day before our original return so we would lose the critical 5th night. I did a dummy booking for the original dates and there is (and was) an indirect flight via MAD still available but the first part of this, RAK-MAD, is Iberia and not BA or a codeshare.

Before I contact BA I’m seeking your collective wisdom. Do I 1) just choose another 5 day destination (although dates inflexible and prefer to avoid EU because of Brexity time limits so options very limited) 2) Argue that BA should honour double tier points even on 4 day trip as change is because of their action 3) Ask for change to Iberia indirect flight and that BA also honour double tier-points as 2 out of 3 flights on BA metal/codeshare and change is because of their action.

Any (constructive ;-)) thoughts?

• Swede says:

My exec tier collection ends on the 8th December 2021 which is the normal date – I thought this was extended? Anyone know the cut offs for getting the extension?
    Thanks!

• Graham Walsh says:

Well done Rhys

• Richard T says:

I can get into my BAEC account now, however it says “you do not have a household account”! I’m hoping that merely means it’s not yet migrated, rather than that they have deleted it!

• Renaud says:

I called Amex 2 days ago to cancel my BAPP card, and they said that any 2-4-1 vouchers i have would be cancelled as well, and the only way to keep them was to downgrade my card to BA classic. Is that true? I thought all you needed was to pay for the taxes with an Amex (I still have the Amex Rewards), has something changed?