Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Bits: last call for 80% bonus buying IHG points, what are the best hotel promos for January 2022?

News in brief:

Last chance for 80% bonus buying IHG Rewards points

Until 4th January, so you have just two days left, you can buy IHG Rewards – the InterContinental, Holiday Inn, Crowne Plaza etc scheme – points with a bonus of up to 80%.

The page to buy points is here – log in and see what is available.

This is not the most generous offer IHG has had, and it is also staggered which is unusual:

• Buy 7,000-19,000 points, get a 40% bonus
  • Buy 20,000-29,000 points, get a 60% bonus
  • Buy 30,000+ points, get an 80% bonus

I wouldn’t buy speculatively with an 80% bonus as I am fairly sure that a 100% bonus for everyone will be along in a few months.  If you need to top up your account in advance of a planned short-term redemption, however, you might as well do it whilst the bonus is on.

What are the best hotel promotions for January 2022?

At the start of each month, we usually run a summary of all of the hotel promotions from the big six chains.

This month, there is no need.

The only offer currently running is Hilton’s ‘Points Unlimited’. This will be joined in two weeks by a new Hyatt offer. There are no global promotions from Accor, IHG, Marriott or Radisson.

Register for Hilton’s ‘Points Unlimited’ promotion

As a quick summary, ‘Points Unlimited’ gets you 2,500 bonus Hilton Honors points for every stay you do from 1st January to 1st May 2022.

We value a Hilton Honors point at 0.33p, so this is basically an extra £8.33 return per stay. This is good news for cheap one night stays and bad news if you’re spending a week in a Conrad.

Our full article on Hilton’s ‘Points Unlimited’ offer is here. You can register here.

Hyatt’s new offer starts soon

On 15th January, World of Hyatt is launchng a new promotion – ‘Bonus Journeys’.

It’s a simple one. For every two nights (not necessarily consecutive) that you stay by 20th April 2022, you will receive 2,022 bonus points. We value Hyatt points at 1.1p, so this is effectively a rebate of £11 per night. It’s a strong offer if you are staying at cheaper Hyatt Place properties.

Our full article on ‘Bonus Journeys’ is here and you can register here.

And finally ….

If you booking a luxury hotel, remember that we can offer you exclusive additional benefits at Four Seasons, Mandarin Oriental, Peninsula and similar hotels.

Click here for details of our luxury hotel booking service in association with Bon Vivant / Virtuoso.  Feedback from readers who have used this service so far has been excellent and we have booked over £1.3 million of rooms so far.

Comments (12)

• Clive says:

Pretty disappointed with the lack of promos from Marriott. Hope 2022 May change that

• Russ says:

Alas Marriott is again missing in action.

• Nick says:

Check your promotions after logging in – I got one for Double Points on stays that include a weekend night

• Russ says:

Nice offer, I hear a lot of people have been targeted with personalized offers unlike myself and many many more customer’s who haven’t.

• ChrisC says:

Two mentioned in the IHG forum – Winter Escape (general offer book by 12th Jan) and 5k for two nights in January (targetted)

Whether these count as ‘best’ though …

• Concerto says:

What about the current 500 extra points per stay offer at Accor? That’s good enough to motivate me switch an upcoming stay in Poland to Accor to keep my points alive. All brands except ibis Budget seem to participate. Check the eligible countries. Book by 31 January, stay by 28 February.

• RussellH says:

Quite. Would be good if only I could register!

Tried for days now, two different computers, three different browsers. All I ever get is a statement that they are having “technical problems” and that I should reload the screen and try again….

But then Accor have been telling me that they have technical problems” for months now, though the site otherwise works.

• Lady London says:

You could be one of the many people whose account has been blocked for no particular reason by Accor. This is one of the symptoms. Could be worth your phoning them

• RussellH says:

I was thinking that I may need to do that, even though I have been able to make a booking, and points from Club Opinions have been credited.

• JAD says:

Yes – this is exactly the issue I had after transferring some points out to Iberia. Had to call them, provide some proof of ID etc and get them to unblock my account. All fine now – but a real faff!

• dst87 says:

HfP team: I’ve booked via Emyr before and so have his email address. If I follow-up with him directly will you still get the credit for being the referrer, or do I need to use the contact form on HfP for each request?

• Rob says:

Within 6 months of your last enquiry, we get credit. If it’s more than six months, we don’t unless you use the form. Thanks.