Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Get 2,500 Virgin Points by activating Tesco Clubcard auto-conversion

Tesco and Avios may have gone their separate ways but Virgin Atlantic remains a Tesco Clubcard partner.

Virgin Atlantic has launched another bonus if you agree to convert your future Clubcard points. You will receive 2,500 bonus Virgin Points if you switch your Tesco Clubcard account to auto-convert points to Virgin Flying Club.

2,500 points is as big a bonus as you will ever see by Virgin Flying Club for switching on auto-convert. We have only seen 2,500 points offered once before.

2,000 Virgin Points by activating Tesco Clubcard Auto-Convert

To turn on auto-convert, you need to visit the Clubcard website here.

Sign in to your account and click on ‘Clubcard Account’.  Select ‘Account Management’ and then ‘Voucher Schemes’.  From this page you can select the “Virgin Points” box to enable auto-exchange.

Note that:

• you must activate auto-convert by 8th July
  • you must keep auto-convert turned on until at least the next Tesco voucher date of 21st July
  • you must have at least £1.50 of Clubcard vouchers available for conversion on 21st July
  • you must not have received a bonus for turning on auto-convert to Virgin Flying Club in the past
  • your 2,500 Virgin Points will be awarded by 2nd September

I am usually a little sceptical about auto-converting your Clubcard points. You would miss out if a conversion bonus came along, or indeed a better Tesco Clubcard offer launched with another partner.

In general, it is better to keep your Clubcard vouchers in a drawer until you need them, or until a conversion bonus appears.

However …. the days of lucrative offers on Tesco Clubcard seem to be over.  2,500 Virgin Points is also a VERY good incentive – you’d usually need to spend £1,000 in Tesco to earn £10 of Clubcard vouchers to receive 2,500 Virgin Points.

On this basis, assuming you’d only generate a few pounds of vouchers per quarter, you are likely to be better off by activating auto-convert for a while and seeing how it goes.

You can see details of this new Tesco / Virgin Points bonus on the Virgin Flying Club / Tesco Clubcard page here.

How to earn Virgin Points from UK credit cards

How to earn Virgin Points from UK credit cards (June 2022)

As a reminder, there are various ways of earning Virgin Points from UK credit cards.  Many cards also have generous sign-up bonuses.

You can choose from two official Virgin Atlantic credit cards (apply here, the Reward+ card has a bonus of 15,000 Virgin Points):

Virgin Rewards Plus credit card

Virgin Atlantic Reward+ Mastercard

15,000 points bonus and 1.5 points for every £1 you spend Read our full review

Virgin Rewards credit card

Virgin Atlantic Reward Mastercard

A generous earning rate for a free card at 0.75 points per £1 Read our full review

You can also earn Virgin Points from various American Express cards – and these have sign-up bonuses too.

American Express Preferred Rewards Gold is FREE for a year and comes with 30,000 Membership Rewards points, which convert into 30,000 Virgin Points.

SPECIAL OFFER: The sign-up bonus on Amex Gold is increased from 20,000 Membership Rewards points to 30,000 Membership Rewards points until 19th July 2022. This card is free for the first year.

American Express Amex Gold

American Express Preferred Rewards Gold

Your best beginner’s card – 30,000 points, FREE for a year & two airport lounge passes Read our full review

The Platinum Card from American Express comes with 30,000 Membership Rewards points, which convert into 30,000 Virgin Points.

American Express Platinum card Amex

The Platinum Card from American Express

30,000 points and an unbeatable set of travel benefits – for a fee Read our full review

Small business owners should consider the two American Express Business cards. Points convert at 1:1 into Virgin Points.

Amex Platinum Business American Express

American Express Business Platinum

40,000 points sign-up bonus and a long list of travel benefits Read our full review

American Express Business Gold

20,000 points sign-up bonus and free for a year Read our full review

Click here to read our detailed summary of all UK credit cards which earn Virgin Points

(Want to earn more Virgin Points?  Click here to see our recent articles on Virgin Atlantic and Flying Club and click here for our home page with the latest news on earning and spending other airline and hotel points.)

Comments (33)

• Stef says:

Hi Rob et Al,

Tesco have also been doing some great offers over the last few months, which I have completed. 1) 2 x 1000 points offers on pay plus debit card (4 X transactions on it in tesco each offer). 2) 1000 points if you save the tesco credit card as default card in Amazon and do 4 X transactions. 3,000 clubcard points (7,500 VS points) for stuff I would buy anyway.

Just thought I would share as have not seen a single post on any travel hacking site in regards this

• Mike says:

Maybe there should be web site covering these offers it could be called “shopperpoints” perhaps

• Freddy says:

Wouldn’t object too much if they were here as utlimately you can transfer to virgin points if you so wish

• Rob says:

No-one sent me these offers and the forum wasn’t flooded with them so I am assuming they are targetted – same as the £25 sign-up cash deal I was offered for getting the free Pay+ card the other week.

• Swifty says:

Would have been helpful to know this

• Rob H not Rob says:

I’ve had the autoconvert bonus some five years ago, can you link your partners flying club number (different surname) and get still the bonus?

• Scott says:

I do the auto-conversion anyway. Have racked up a good 16k Virgin miles since doing so, and that’s with spending more at Sainsbury now (only got 625 miles this quarter for my measly 260 some points).
    It slowly adds up over time, and one day, there might be some use for them.

• lumma says:

Yes but by having auto convert on, you potentially miss out on offers like this and the points are stuck in flying club.

You keep them as Clubcard points and you can still quickly convert to Virgin if you need to but you have other options too. Even if none of the current alternatives appeal there may be a future partnership that does.

• Lynsey says:

I tried to do this last time but wouldn’t accept my Virgin number on the Clubcard website, after trying several times over a couple of weeks eventually phoned Tesco who tried and couldn’t add it either so told me to phone virgin, after 15 minutes on hold I gave up. I will try adding it again but assuming it still won’t work.

• Matty says:

I’m getting the same error message this morning – ‘ Please enter a valid membership number’.

• Peter K says:

It’s accepted mine in the past but this morning it is saying it’s not a valid membership number.

• Dan says:

Same problem here. I contacted Tesco and they couldn’t do it either. They said they will send this to Virgin so they can activate it on their side. Not holding my breath…

• Joe says:

Same. Getting Message: “Please enter a valid membership number.”

• Jennifer says:

I’m getting this error message too, is it Virgin’s fault or Tesco? Does anyone have the appropriate Virgin contact number? Thanks 🙂

• Alan says:

This has been broken for months – can’t believe it still hasn’t been fixed!

• Jennifer says:

I wonder why it’s working for some and not others, is there no way around it? Very annoying!

• Cwyfan says:

Can you switch this feature on and off to get the bonus each time there is one?

• John says:

• Gavin says:

Cwyfan, your answer is in the story. “you must not have received a bonus for turning on auto-convert to Virgin Flying Club in the past”

But I have no idea if I’ve used it auto-convert in the past or how I would find out?

• Steve S says:

Is the bonus referred to the Clubcard or the Virgin account. I have a separate Clubcard and credit card account

• xcalx says:

Could someone guide me to the area that shows the virgin voucher. Sure I used to see it in my statements. Thanks.

• xcalx says:

Found it. Now if I could workout the start/end dates for spend.

• Rob says:

The credit card voucher? You don’t see it. There will be a line on your account statement showing ‘0 points’ (wording next to it seems to vary) which is the sign that a voucher has been issued and the call centre can see it.

• Man of Kent says:

We signed up for auto-convert back in February when the last offer was on. Seems to be working OK but have yet to receive the 2,000 bonus points for signing up.

• Robin says:

I did exactly the same, and also never received the bonus points.

• RussellH says:

I signed up for the auto-convert a couple of years ago. Supposed to be 2500 bonus then, but only got 1000.
    I did complain, but the promised response / explanation never came. VS credit card not used since then.