Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Payment cards American Express Amex Fraud support team are the pits!

• Bearing Up 54 posts

Currently working our way around Chile and have used Amex and Mastercard without any issues- until 4 days ago!
    Our tours/shuttle service requested payment for the itinerary in Torres del Paine, about 1 mil pesos. Amex fraud declined the payment, contacted me for authorisation and I duly confirmed it was a legit payment. Amex acknowledged my response and said they could resubmit the payment request.
    They did, and Amex duly declined it again. I authorised as requested and another email came through confirming they could resubmit. I spent over 3 hours on Amex chat-but to no avail. There wasnt a phone signal so I had to rely on weak Wi-Fi. Fortunately, I went elsewhere and rang fraud team. The young man confirmed what had happened, apologised, said that any flags were removed at 3 pm yesterday.
    I what’s app the company and said it had been sorted.
    They resubmitted- and declined yet again!

The company will still collect us fro Puerto Natales and C200 km drive to hotel.

I’m furious with Amex – what an incompetent shower they are!
    3 confirmed authorisations, a direct phone call and nothing.
    They’ll get a blasting when we return on 19/11.
    In meantime I’ll use my Mastercard as they have been going through without any problems. Furious doesn’t cover it!

Nigel Keya 80 posts

They’re trying to protect your interests. Obvs they don’t always get it right.

Nigel Keya 80 posts

Actually good demonstration of why you should always travel with about 10 or so different cards – Amex/ MC/ Visa – in case one lets you down.

Bearing Up 54 posts

@Nigel Keya,
    “Protecting my interests” when they been told 3 times it is in my interest to pay the bill?🤔
    And I do have other cards.

comeocome 43 posts

Actually good demonstration of why you should always travel with about 10 or so different cards – Amex/ MC/ Visa – in case one lets you down.

Well technically we should travel with 3 cards? Visa MC AMEX. I suppose carrying 10 AMEX cards trying the same transaction won’t work? (Presumably the same AMEX fraud algo will decline all 10 of them?)

Nigel Keya 80 posts

@Nigel Keya,
    “Protecting my interests” when they been told 3 times it is in my interest to pay the bill?🤔

I’m sure it’s infuriating. And I’m sure you won’t see me as some kind of troll. But what would you prefer: a credit card co that errs on the side of caution? Or one that lets you take a hit?

Nigel Keya 80 posts

@Nigel Keya,

I’m sure it’s infuriating. And I’m sure you won’t see me as some kind of troll. But what would you prefer: a credit card co that errs on the side of caution? Or one that lets you take a hit?

I have got about 15 different cards in my wallet and pretty happy with that.

Just gotta not lose the wallet 🙂

A few years ago I got properly plastered in a wine trip round the vineyards, abroad. On the way back I hid my wallet in a secret place in our car (my wife was driving us back, of course.) But I forgot all about my clever secret hiding place. So when I woke up the next day, old Dopey here phoned all the credit cards cos as my cards had gone missing, presumed stolen or lost. Cancelled them all.

Only to find them in a very clever secret hiding place in the car about 48 hrs later.

Aston100 1,388 posts

I had something similar happen with Halifax Clarity twice this year.
    Yes, the card that is intended to be used abroad.

Did manage to get a decent amount of goodwill gesture and all phone calls refunded (near enough £100 worth), but it shouldn’t be happening really.

davefl 1,223 posts

Well technically we should travel with 3 cards? Visa MC AMEX. I suppose carrying 10 AMEX cards trying the same transaction won’t work? (Presumably the same AMEX fraud algo will decline all 10 of them?)

Yep and I do, at least one of each. Comes in handy when you order in a restaurant in Cyprus and find they only take MC or cash.

John 1,000 posts

It may be an issue with the merchant’s account.

Anyway because of the forex fee, I don’t use Amex outside of the UK unless there is an offer on .. (mainly Hilton)

JDB 4,374 posts

It may be an issue with the merchant’s account.

Anyway because of the forex fee, I don’t use Amex outside of the UK unless there is an offer on .. (mainly Hilton)

I think you may well be right – having travelled a lot in South America, many places have Amex stickers and say they take it but somehow the transaction doesn’t go through and they quickly ask for another card. While here Amex will generally match MC/Visa rates, there I am told Amex costs 2-3x as much off an already much higher base. Curve works fine!

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.