Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Payment cards American Express Amex / PayPal cashback offer

• Reney 755 posts

It looks like the total purchased is not aggregated in any way. So you end up with 3x £15 vouchers where the number of retailers against which the voucher can be redeemed is one! If there is a way of aggregating the purchases I would like to know.

Each voucher is added to the basket and the total charged to PayPal.

In other news I have successfully bought ‘Access All’ card from PayPalGiftCards, used it to buy a Sainsbury’s gift card and then gone to Sains and used the card to buy Waitrose gift cards. A bit of a faff but if you do a few hundred pounds it’s worth it (to me). They also had Amazon.

Helpful to know can buy other giftcards with Sainsbury, thought it was just Asda and Morrison that can do that.

mark2 126 posts

Helpful to know can buy other giftcards with Sainsbury, thought it was just Asda and Morrison that can do that.

And I got Nectar points!

charles 15 posts

Has anyone seen the cumulative spend work on £15 off £70 spend yet?

I think it’s a myth. Certainly works on 100/20 but so far nothing on the 70/15. 14 days & counting and no credit. The 100/20 cumulative paid out in 5 days. My first 70/15 in 1 transaction paid out in 7 days.

Same here, first £70/15 paid out. second (£15 +£65) nada.

Same here.

1st: £70 transaction on 12 Jul credited on 13 Jul.
    2nd: £108 transaction on 3 Aug credited on 8 Aug.
    3rd: £46 transaction on 4 Aug – Nothing

mark2 126 posts

I think you may be over-ambitious expecting the surplus over £70 on one purchase to be added to a subsequent purchase to make 70+.

JDB 4,333 posts

@mark2 well spotted! I couldn’t think why the OP was expecting the third transaction to trigger.

The PayPal offer seems to be one of the better and simplest offers Amex has had for a while, but people seem to have made quite a meal of it – eight pages and it still has many weeks to run. Including one multiple use one on BA Business card, we had six, all used, notified and paid without any difficulty, no gift cards or other complications.

Toaster 104 posts

@mark2 well spotted! I couldn’t think why the OP was expecting the third transaction to trigger.

The PayPal offer seems to be one of the better and simplest offers Amex has had for a while, but people seem to have made quite a meal of it – eight pages and it still has many weeks to run. Including one multiple use one on BA Business card, we had six, all used, notified and paid without any difficulty, no gift cards or other complications.

Good for you that you managed to make full use of the offer. Not everyone is able to without a little extra work. I have 12 of the 70/15 offer and cannot max it without buying gift cards.

Harrier25 849 posts

Good for you that you managed to make full use of the offer. Not everyone is able to without a little extra work. I have 12 of the 70/15 offer and cannot max it without buying gift cards.

My God, it’s not hard with so many retailers allowing you to pay with PayPal.

Sam 96 posts

I have the £60 off £300. I rarely spend more than £300 using PayPal so unless something turns up, I will have to be creative. It’s not a given

Toaster 104 posts

It is if I don’t shop at any of those retailers apart from Ocado. Not everyone has the same purchasing pattern.

ChasP 155 posts

Has anyone managed to use Paypal offer on Hotels.Com
    Booked Hotel in USA ticked Paypal as method to pay got transferred to PayPal where neither of my AMEX cards showed up

Apparently the only take Visa, MC or Diners but hope to take others “soon”

mark2 126 posts

If you buy Access All gift cards on PayPalGiftCards they can be converted to Hotels.com gift cards (I have not done it personally; try small amount) but you should be able to buy in £70 blocks and get lots of statement credits!

charles 15 posts

I think you may be over-ambitious expecting the surplus over £70 on one purchase to be added to a subsequent purchase to make 70+.

Um…good shout. Let me try another £24!

Reney 755 posts

@ Charles, I’m not sure I would bother. I have done 3 spends to make up to £70 and it has not been credited. It was a while ago, and several other qualifying (non accumulative) spends have since posted, so I don’t think it is happening. I don’t think I am the only data point to confirm the accumulative spend does not appear to work on 70/15 offer. It does seem to work on the 100/20 one based on other posters.

yorkieflyer 259 posts

@ Charles, I’m not sure I would bother. I have done 3 spends to make up to £70 and it has not been credited. It was a while ago, and several other qualifying (non accumulative) spends have since posted, so I don’t think it is happening. I don’t think I am the only data point to confirm the accumulative spend does not appear to work on 70/15 offer. It does seem to work on the 100/20 one based on other posters.

Yes cumulative on 70 not working for me

polly 287 posts

Neither of our Wishgift credits posted. So for the hell of it, sent the 100 x 2 cards to F and F, credited the next day.. so don’t quite to know what to make of those.
    The 3 x 70, 1 hotel night, 2 x ferries, not a sign of credit. BT not posted yet either.. May just redo them all with birthday gifts to F and F. Or just buy PP gift cards. It’s not as simple as some make out…

Rob
    HfP Staff
    2,195 posts

It’s odd. I concur with the above:

a) been paid on CUMULATIVE transactions for the £100 offer
    b) been paid on INDIVIDUAL transactions for the £70 offer
    c) not been paid on CUMULATIVE transactions for the £70 offer

However, the wording of the £70 and £100 offers is identical, albeit the wording is “a transaction” without specifying cumulative.

Is this an Amex error or not? I’ve also got a list of other unpaid credits inc Harrods ones.

I’m just about to go over £300 on my Bus Plat so lets see if that pays on cumulative spend.

CarpalTravel 362 posts

I’ve seen others mention this and not sure if there has been an answer I’ve missed:

I got the “Spend £100, get £20 back, one time” on one card and made use of it in one transaction, credit successfully received.

It is however still showing in my active offers list, not the used offers. First time I have ever had that, makes me wonder if I might be lucky enough to get to use it again. Has anyone got any experience? Sadly I have no normal 3 figure spends that I can use Paypal for, to try it out on. I would only likely buy something if there was at least a chance of receiving it.

Crafty 150 posts

Anyone seen it take longer than 10 days for a transaction of exactly £100 to credit? Mine hasn’t. WishCard.

rum 275 posts

It is however still showing in my active offers list, not the used offers. First time I have ever had that, makes me wonder if I might be lucky enough to get to use it again. Has anyone got any experience? Sadly I have no normal 3 figure spends that I can use Paypal for, to try it out on. I would only likely buy something if there was at least a chance of receiving it.

I’ve had this happen on all my Amex cards right now and not just for the PayPal offer. They’re all showing in the list and nothing has gone to the ‘redeemed’ state. I wonder if this is another one of Amex IT’s “special features” that appear every now and again.

As for wether the offer will pay out a second time (or more), I have no experience. Would be interesting to know though…

Reney 755 posts

Anyone seen it take longer than 10 days for a transaction of exactly £100 to credit? Mine hasn’t. WishCard.

10 days from transaction or from the point it posted i.e it came off pending? Some of mine have taken probably close to that as it took a while to come of pending, and depends on when weekends fall.

flyoff 15 posts

If you buy Access All gift cards on PayPalGiftCards they can be converted to Hotels.com gift cards (I have not done it personally; try small amount) but you should be able to buy in £70 blocks and get lots of statement credits!

I have seen on Hotels.com that Amex is not accepted at certain hotels. On other websites I have seen that PayPal payments at certain retailers are not accepted. Is Amex accepted for the hotel in question? If it’s not they are probably not accepting Amex via PayPal. Not sure if this is right but thought worth posting.

mark2 126 posts

I have seen on Hotels.com that Amex is not accepted at certain hotels. On other websites I have seen that PayPal payments at certain retailers are not accepted. Is Amex accepted for the hotel in question? If it’s not they are probably not accepting Amex via PayPal. Not sure if this is right but thought worth posting.

If you pay Hotels.com with a gift card, the hotel will have no idea how you paid. They will be paid by Hotels.com in the normal way.

polly 287 posts

Days later now, neither our BT, a hotel, nor 2 x ferry booking have credited. Just our Fand F ones have. The gift cards didn’t, so l re did them to F and F. They posted asap. Really weird. All went through PP, so no doubt. All showing on my PP activity.

Andrew J 769 posts

Days later now, neither our BT, a hotel, nor 2 x ferry booking have credited. Just our Fand F ones have. The gift cards didn’t, so l re did them to F and F. They posted asap. Really weird. All went through PP, so no doubt. All showing on my PP activity.

Amex offers can take weeks or months to credit, so they will in due course, one just has to wait it out these days. The Platinum dining credit is the same hit and miss, I’ve had a U.K. one and an overseas one credit in a couple of days but another U.K. one I’m still waiting 2 weeks for.

Alesio 26 posts

Anybody made a payment and received the cashback but then had to do a refund, did Amex take the PayPal cashback once the refund posted?

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.