Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Payment cards Other payment cards The cashback credit cards thread

• iheartarbitrage 32 posts

Whilst not the usual HfP fodder, it’s worth not being blinkered into thinking that points are always the best option.

Platinum Cashback Everyday Credit Card – Free
    -Receive 0.5% cashback on spend up to £10,000
    -Receive 1% cashback on spend above £10,000

Platinum Cashback Credit Card – £25 annual fee
    -Receive 0.75% cashback on spend up to £10,000
    -Receive 1.25% cashback on spend above £10,000

Lloyds Bank Cashback credit card – Free
    – Earn 0.25% cashback on your first £4,000 of purchases per calendar year.
    – Earn 0.5% cashback on further purchases once you’ve made over £4,000 of purchases per calendar year.

Chase Debit Card – Free
    Get 1% cashback on your everyday spending

• This topic was modified 54 years, 4 months ago by .
    Rhys
    HfP Staff
    190 posts
    Youllnever 182 posts

You should add a note that the Chase debit card cashback is only available for your first 12 months.

rams 223 posts

Santander is 0.5% cash back but £3 per month.

Steven 80 posts

You have Vitality as well but need to have a policy with them to qualify for the card.

The Urbanite 118 posts

Barclaycard Rewards also pays 0.25%.

For those who spend on behalf of a business, there are a few cards that offer 1% cashback – Barclaycard Select Cashback, Capital on Tap and Santander. Jeeves also worth a look – fintech firm offering up to 4%.

cinereus 161 posts

1.25% on the Amex cashback very often beats points.

You’ve missed a few other cards:

RBS
    Santander
    PayPal Business
    Barclaycard Rewards

Almost-cashback:
    John Lewis
    Sainsbury
    Tesco

I think there’s also some Amazon cashback cards.

iheartarbitrage 32 posts

You should add a note that the Chase debit card cashback is only available for your first 12 months.

If there was an edit button I would…

ChasP 162 posts

As Rob has noted the BA (or even better the BAPP) Avios converted to Nectar points is as good as cash (sainsburys, Argos or Ebay ) and beats most of the above

AlexP 2 posts

The Chase card also has 3% cash back on Amazon between now and the end of the year – quite worrying how much it turns out we spend at Amazon when it all gets aggregated together!

SteveJ 979 posts

Yes but there are still places that don’t take Amex, so a good non Amex in the wallet is always a good idea.

iheartarbitrage 32 posts

Not so much, some of us like our cash to work at more than a handful of retailers.

At best the BAPP is 1.2% cashback, but then you’ve got to pay £250 for the card.

Andrew. 482 posts

For NHS Staff or members of a Union, there’s also the Ode/Spree card.

7% Argos, 2.5% Asda, 5% Boots, 5% John Lewis, 3% M&S, 4.5% Primark, 3% Sainsbury, 3% Waitrose, 6% Waterstones, 5% Wilko

Just have to be careful to use the right card at the right time as often you may be better off using an MBNA Card that’s registered with Airtime.

QFFlyer 156 posts

Speaking of MBNA, the Horizon cards, 0.5% (1% until end Dec) cashback and no fees for anything (pretty much).

I know these aren’t available to new applicants, but a lot of people presumably still have them.

cinereus 161 posts

As Rob has noted the BA (or even better the BAPP) Avios converted to Nectar points is as good as cash (sainsburys, Argos or Ebay ) and beats most of the above

Why would you ever use a 1.2% Amex when you can use a 1.25% Amex?

iheartarbitrage 32 posts

Why would you ever use a 1.2% Amex when you can use a 1.25% Amex?

And save £225 in annual fees.

Youllnever 182 posts

For the 241 voucher no? Isn’t that the whole point of the BAPP card? The earning rate is only the cherry on top. However yes, if you’re not planning to earn the voucher and use your Avios for it then there’s no point getting the BAPP.

• This reply was modified 54 years, 4 months ago by .
    nw8727 22 posts

A question regarding the Amex cashback cards, does holding one mean it voids a ‘2-year’ break for bonus points offers?

zio 249 posts

Yes, but except for BAPP or Amex Platinum, which have their own specific 24 month break conditions (no BA card / no MR earning card, respectively)

pointyhead 12 posts

I might as well add that the controversial comment that crypto.com visa card offers cashback (paid in CRO currency) of varying levels, for example 2% when you stake £300 in CRO for 6 months.

Freddy 12 posts

I’ve switched my points earning card to a cashback earning card. The majority of the time I was not getting much more than 1.25% return using points and they are heavily restricted on use and availability.

Its not exciting but with travel restrictions, marriott going to an revenue based scheme and IHG card going by the wayside the good use of points is getting more and more difficult

idontfly 44 posts

I might as well add that the controversial comment that crypto.com visa card offers cashback (paid in CRO currency) of varying levels, for example 2% when you stake £300 in CRO for 6 months.

Still quite undecided about this to be honest. If you can earn £300 back then I guess it is fine. Is it possible to use with H+L top ups for example or is it as restrictive as the chase card?

SJW 1 post

Still quite undecided about this to be honest. If you can earn £300 back then I guess it is fine. Is it possible to use with H+L top ups for example or is it as restrictive as the chase card?

You also get a free monthly Spotify subscription

pointyhead 12 posts

There’s a full list of MCC codes for which you don’t get cashback here https://help.crypto.com/en/articles/4597450-restriction-of-cro-rewards-program

I signed up about a month ago and my £300 stake has gone down by about £90 which isn’t great. Who knows where we’ll be in another five months. I bought near the current ATH. I’d give you a referral link if I’m allowed to if you want to give it a go. I’d be be more comfortable buying in now at a lower price than at the point where I did, but it’s crypto and anything can happen.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.