Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Other London life Electric company car – Tesla – advice

• RonnieB 289 posts

Fact is when I see a Tesla supercharger station – no-one is using it, all the Teslas are plugged into the public charger network. That tells you something as well!

Why on earth would a Tesla owner use a public charger network, if a supercharger was an option? That makes zero sense.

I’m more than happy to find there is always space at a supercharger. Saves me the hassle of having multiple apps on my phone, slower speeds, poor reliability & a boot full of various adaptors.

Probably because it is much cheaper!!
    Certainly in Scotland a lot of the public chargers are owned by local authorities and subsidised.

toddy 113 posts

Probably because it is much cheaper!!

Perhaps in Scotland but in England/Wales, that’s simply not true.

Tesla is 28p KWH (150/250 kwh charger)
    Gridserve is 39p KWH (60kwh charger)
    Podpoint is 26p (50kwh charger)
    Instavolt is 45p
    BP Pulse is 42p (150kwh charger)

• This reply was modified 54 years, 4 months ago by .
    Carlos 758 posts

Took delivery of a Polestar 2 at the start of this month. I’m really enjoying the car and drive. Previously only ever bought vehicles outright, always bought ‘right’ and a better deal than leasing etc.

This is not the first EV or Hybrid i have purchased. However, given the uncertainty re residual values etc on EV’s, leased this one.

Tesla V Polestar. My take was one is built by a technology/battery company that builds cars, the other a car company (Volvo) that build high tech cars.

I got a P2 in August and can’t fault it, it’s a fantastic car in every way. Tried a Model 3 but wasn’t impressed, good charging network and fast – but that’s about it. The P2 is plenty fast, especially withy new OTA power upgrade, and Tesla charging network will be open to everyone soon if I need it – which I don’t.

Build quality and driving experience much better with Polestar.

Thanks for the leasing suggestions, this has been done in the past personally twice albeit not via business. Infact doesnt have to be Tesla can be an alt full electric vehicle but considering a 2017 S model vs 2019 model 3

Model S is big and you might not like the turning circle. Model 3 feels more nimble and easier to park.

If you decide on Model S get a post-facelift one, the headlights are drastically better.

Get air suspension and the ride is streets ahead of Model 3.

I’ve driven many miles in both and would take the older Model S myself, provided I could get air suspension and cold weather pack. I’m a high mileage driver, if you do fewer long journeys and more in cities then M3 might be ideal. The big gotcha is poor sound proofing which is noticeable at high speeds.

Although they are quiet ‘marmite’ I’ve found Teslas to be much better than any other EV, including the Polestar, although it is a beautiful looking machine. I’ve got an Etron 55 at the moment, which is the first EV I’ve been in to better the MS for ride comfort. This comes at the expense of worse tech and shorter range though.

Thanks thats useful. Thoughts are with the model 3 as not a heavy user like some. Seem to be scratching head regarding the polestar, suppose they both require a test drive. I noticed the model s has depreciated almost 50% in 5 years, not sure if that is industry standard or not but looking to swap within 3 years..maybe quicker if its a 2016 model S.

Carlos 758 posts

Thanks for the replies, thinking of the model 3 as opposed to the s then as wont be a heavy user and a quick calculation says that the model s has deprecated 50% of its value within 5 years… this most likely would be swapped out within the next 2 years as dont want to hold onto a used battery for 7+ years. Scratching head about the polestar 2, suppose it requires a test drive.

Took delivery of a Polestar 2 at the start of this month. I’m really enjoying the car and drive. Previously only ever bought vehicles outright, always bought ‘right’ and a better deal than leasing etc.

This is not the first EV or Hybrid i have purchased. However, given the uncertainty re residual values etc on EV’s, leased this one.

Tesla V Polestar. My take was one is built by a technology/battery company that builds cars, the other a car company (Volvo) that build high tech cars.

I got a P2 in August and can’t fault it, it’s a fantastic car in every way. Tried a Model 3 but wasn’t impressed, good charging network and fast – but that’s about it. The P2 is plenty fast, especially withy new OTA power upgrade, and Tesla charging network will be open to everyone soon if I need it – which I don’t.

Build quality and driving experience much better with Polestar.

Thanks for the leasing suggestions, this has been done in the past personally twice albeit not via business. Infact doesnt have to be Tesla can be an alt full electric vehicle but considering a 2017 S model vs 2019 model 3

Model S is big and you might not like the turning circle. Model 3 feels more nimble and easier to park.

If you decide on Model S get a post-facelift one, the headlights are drastically better.

Get air suspension and the ride is streets ahead of Model 3.

I’ve driven many miles in both and would take the older Model S myself, provided I could get air suspension and cold weather pack. I’m a high mileage driver, if you do fewer long journeys and more in cities then M3 might be ideal. The big gotcha is poor sound proofing which is noticeable at high speeds.

Although they are quiet ‘marmite’ I’ve found Teslas to be much better than any other EV, including the Polestar, although it is a beautiful looking machine. I’ve got an Etron 55 at the moment, which is the first EV I’ve been in to better the MS for ride comfort. This comes at the expense of worse tech and shorter range though.

Thanks thats useful. Thoughts are with the model 3 as not a heavy user like some. Seem to be scratching head regarding the polestar, suppose they both require a test drive. I noticed the model s has depreciated almost 50% in 5 years, not sure if that is industry standard or not but looking to swap within 3 years..maybe quicker if its a 2016 model S.

Thegasman 204 posts

I went with etron 55 as it felt like a true luxury vehicle rather than Tesla’s which look great on the surface but scratch the surface and build/finish quality is far worse. Audi also feels like a normal car that happens to be electric vs Tesla which has a number of features that take some adapting to (1 peddle driving etc). Tesla’s have better range but VWAG have far superior battery management so you can charge at high speed (150kw) over a far greater charge range (20-80%) than Tesla’s which will throttle down at 60%. I can get to London & back from Sheffield with a 15 minute stop at Milton Keynes Ionity on each leg. Consider your driving patterns, for me with very rare journeys over 150miles the range has always been absolutely fine.

The 1/2% BIK makes it a no brainer if you can take advantage but lets be honest, that will be jumping to the usual 15%+ level in April 25 which will likely affect anyone taking out a 3 year lease now considering lead times.

memesweeper 1,244 posts

I noticed the model s has depreciated almost 50% in 5 years

Residuals on all EVs are very strong at the moment. Supply is outstripped by demand across all types. How long this will last I don’t know, but it feels like a long term trend to me.

Carlos 758 posts

Great, just need to select an EV installer. I am content with 7kw (dont need high KW ones than that)
    Can someone recommend one they have used? It looks circa 550-590 installed via online.

toddy 113 posts

Great, just need to select an EV installer. I am content with 7kw (dont need high KW ones than that)
    Can someone recommend one they have used? It looks circa 550-590 installed via online.

Where in the country are you based Carlos? I can recommend someone but he’s based in Cheshire.

Can I also double check you are aware of the grant available under the Electric Vehicle Homecharge Scheme? (up to £350).

RonnieB 289 posts

I noticed the model s has depreciated almost 50% in 5 years

Residuals on all EVs are very strong at the moment. Supply is outstripped by demand across all types. How long this will last I don’t know, but it feels like a long term trend to me.

Yes they are, take a look at the polestar website – you can buy a six month old ex demo, but it will cost you more than new price!

RonnieB 289 posts

Perhaps in Scotland but in England/Wales, that’s simply not true.

Tesla is 28p KWH (150/250 kwh charger)
    Gridserve is 39p KWH (60kwh charger)
    Podpoint is 26p (50kwh charger)
    Instavolt is 45p
    BP Pulse is 42p (150kwh charger)

That is not good – there are still some local council areas in Scotland that do not charge for electricity, even on 50kw rapid chargers. That will probably start to change, but even then we are looking at 15p/Kwh

Ladyshopper 110 posts

We ordered an E-niro 2 long range back in October, with a lead time given of March.

Debated over lease or purchase, in the end went for purchase. If there was a leasing option through my husband’s work we may have made a decision, but although they’re talking about it, no idea when it might actually come in.

We benefitted from the high used car prices for both our cars. One we’re part-exchanging in, the other I sold to Cazoo (for £500 more than the part-ex I was going to get).

For leasing, it was looking at £13 – £14k for 3 years for that vehicle when we looked. We’ll be looking to change the car in 3 years, so even if the value goes down a similar amount (which I think unlikely, but who knows), then we’re no worse off than we would have been leasing. Plus if we hate the car for any reason (again, unlikely), we’re free to get rid sooner.

We ordered when they were still doing the £2.5k electric vehicle grant on cars up to £35k. This has been cut now, so glad we ordered when we did.

Our car is due in the country today, so hoping to get it in the next couple of weeks.

We got our charger fitted via pod point. No problems with fitting etc.

modestpointscollector 64 posts

Zappi from MyEnergi are regarded to be the best around, but truth be told unless you’re doing anything particularly cool with your power at home (such as local generation or battery storage) an EVSE/charger just checks that your car is a car when you plug it in, and then hooks it into the mains. That said, there’s something definitely value in quality support from a British manufacturer, so up to you. There is a link on their (Myenergi) website that lets installers near to you bid on the work to do the install. They’re also one of the few suppliers who have a 22kW 3 phase unit on the Ozev list (I know you said you’re just after a standard 7kW single phase, just info for anyone passing through tbh) – The price you have seems to be in the right ballpark for a more expensive install with the grant or a very cheap one without the grant. Ozev runs out at the of March and i know there’s quite high demand for installs so dependent on your location you may or may not get it in time for the cut off.

I’ve just recently cancelled an order for a BMW i4 – I got rid of my previous car which was on PCP early due to the insane 2nd hand rates. I was going to put the money towards the i4 but I ended up spending half of it and BMW weren’t particularly forthcoming with any good deals that made me feel like i was getting value. I think with the current market if you can get on an employee salary sacrifice scheme and you were looking at getting an EV on PCP anyway, it really is a no brainer. Massively tax advantageous, some people could be seeing upwards of a 60% discount on the monthly payment, the only question mark is what will the BIK look like after 24/25 – Personally, i can’t see it jumping from 2% to something like 20%, so even if you’re a standard rate tax earner you only end back up at “I would have paid that anyway” territory in the last year of your agreement. So it depends how you’re looking to run this EV really.

I am lucky enough that my work have just announced out of nowhere they’re going to do this scheme in conjunction with Tusker – I don’t suppose anyone here has any recent price lists at all do they?

• This reply was modified 54 years, 4 months ago by .
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.