Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Payment cards Barclaycard Avios Existing customers can now switch

• Gavin454 160 posts

Why on earth would you want to switch from your Hilton Barclaycard for just 5,000 Avios and pay £20 a month for the privilege? Total Madness!

It’s not for the signup bonus, it’s so I can earn Avios points instead of Hilton points.

Eg. £10k monthly spend = 20k Hilton points, or 10k / 15k Avios depending on which card.

The Avios are much more useful for me (usually for flights, but have the useful nectar cashout route too) and represent better value per £ spent on the card, plus I’ll get a useful upgrade voucher too.

Harrier25 852 posts

Why on earth would you want to switch from your Hilton Barclaycard for just 5,000 Avios and pay £20 a month for the privilege? Total Madness!

It’s not for the signup bonus, it’s so I can earn Avios points instead of Hilton points.

Eg. £10k monthly spend = 20k Hilton points, or 10k / 15k Avios depending on which card.

The Avios are much more useful for me (usually for flights, but have the useful nectar cashout route too) and represent better value per £ spent on the card, plus I’ll get a useful upgrade voucher too.

Fair enough.👍

poggs 14 posts

I have a Barclaycard Platinum VISA card.

Ive been told that it will not be possible to switch to the Avios mastercard from the VISA.

I need to close the account. Wait 6 months and apply then.

Ho hum

Wally1976 188 posts

I’ve got an old Barclaycard cashback card (formerly Egg Money) and the Hilton card. In the app it will let me switch the cashback card for the new Avios cards but not the Hilton one. Still that works for me. I’m waiting to see what they come up with in terms of an enhanced sign up and then will probably switch the cashback card.

Harrier25 852 posts

I’ve got an old Barclaycard cashback card (formerly Egg Money) and the Hilton card. In the app it will let me switch the cashback card for the new Avios cards but not the Hilton one. Still that works for me. I’m waiting to see what they come up with in terms of an enhanced sign up and then will probably switch the cashback card.

Personally to me that makes much more sense, because retaining Hilton Honors Gold status for spending £10,000 each year is more valuable to me.

Wally1976 188 posts

Personally to me that makes much more sense, because retaining Hilton Honors Gold status for spending £10,000 each year is more valuable to me.

Yes I’m reluctant to give up either to be honest but would probably go for the cashback one. It’s just that it’s good for my credit file as I’ve had it so long (c 20 years) and it’s 0.5% cashback which I can’t get elsewhere (yes I know the free Avios card is pseudo 0.8% via nectar). As for Hilton gold we renew that every so often via a few months of the Amex Platinum.

My wife’s got the Hilton card too so may cancel that and wait 6 months for the full sign up bonus on one of the Avios cards for her. Decisions decisions!

_aDifferentSimon_ 85 posts

I’ve got the old egg money one too, don’t use it much though. I’ll be switching to the free card with whatever offer comes along this week.

Andrew J 769 posts

Ive been told that it will not be possible to switch to the Avios mastercard from the VISA.

Ho hum

I have that same card and I have the option to switch.

ChasP 162 posts

still no option to switch on my cashback visa card

lambshank13 53 posts

I phoned to see if I could switch from my Rewards 0.25% cashback card to the Avios card, was told yes I’m eligible and someone from the ‘dedicated team’ would ring back to process the upgrade the following day. I didn’t get the call, so lodged a complaint. Their response was that I am in fact not eligible, but they’ve given me £25 for the confusion.

poggs 14 posts

Ho hum

I have that same card and I have the option to switch.

Well, thats just annoying! I phoned up again and they re-iterated that I needed to close and come back in 6 months. Dont think they really know and are “bullshitting with confidence”

LTA 3 posts

I am still unable to switch from my platinum card App tells me No options available…may be due to recent changes on acc such as card being reportedlost/stolen or new Pin request in last 10 days. None of these apply. Barclaycard can’t help!

stevenhp1987 331 posts

I am still unable to switch from my platinum card App tells me No options available…may be due to recent changes on acc such as card being reportedlost/stolen or new Pin request in last 10 days. None of these apply. Barclaycard can’t help!

I was unable to change my platinum, which is a right pain, I want to swap it to the rewards card (so it has permanent 0% FX).

I could only change my 0.5% cashback card – as could my wife.

Mick S 271 posts

anyone actually hold the HH card and one of the new avios cards?

I’m think I will apply – I could do with the extra avios earning opportunity but don’t want to jeopardise the HH card in anyway, as this is pretty valuable to me. I don’t want Barclaycard to issue some closure notice if I get accepted for new card.

Appreciate there won’t be a SUB.

Youllnever 182 posts

I’m think I will apply – I could do with the extra avios earning opportunity but don’t want to jeopardise the HH card in anyway, as this is pretty valuable to me. I don’t want Barclaycard to issue some closure notice if I get accepted for new card.

Pretty sure your new application will be rejected immediately. I believe you can only switch to it if you’re given the option to since you’re not allowed to hold multiple Barclaycards (barring any grandfathered cards some has mentioned before).

smm 27 posts

I do not hold both but when discussing with Barclaycard on chat as to why no swap option the agent told me you could have two Barclaycards and I could apply and see if I was accepted and if so could have the HH and the Avios. As you note no SUB in this scenario. The same agent also told me that transfer offers are “usually” refreshed on the first Sunday of the month.

smm 27 posts

For all that I have a screenshot of the Barclays agent saying that you can have more than one Barclaycard, the first question on the application is do you have a Barclaycard and if you say yes it says no immediately, so the agent would appear badly briefed…

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.