Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Payment cards American Express Morrisons cashback

• EwanG 112 posts

I’m not sure self checkout works though. They need to be somewhat activated. Oh well…

Self checkout works a treat. You just need to scan the appropriate barcode (the one on the GC itself, not the one on the paper holder) and then put something on the bag packing area (a glove – always handy in winter, a set of keys…) to trigger the weight mechanism!
    Always take the activation receipt too!

tw33ty 187 posts

Self checkouts work just fine, as previously stated, just need something to weight it down a bit.

Plus, if you use the self scan checkouts, no 101 questions by any jobsworth.

Peter K 553 posts

Self service for gift cards does not work at Tesco or Sainsbury’s, but most definitely does at Morrisons!

Carlos 758 posts

self checkout works a treat

Tom2 113 posts

To be fair a lot of the supermarkets have been working with police to try and stop victims of crime who have been coerced into buying gift cards to give to fraudsters. The checkout staff have been trained to ask questions when someone is buying an unusual amount of gift cards.

tw33ty 187 posts

To be fair a lot of the supermarkets have been working with police to try and stop victims of crime who have been coerced into buying gift cards to give to fraudsters. The checkout staff have been trained to ask questions when someone is buying an unusual amount of gift cards.

that i understand, but a singular £100 card isn’t unusual, yet still the questions come. sometimes even leading to crazy accusations that you’re breaking the law or you’re money laundering etc. hence why its just easier to go to self service tills.

can 506 posts

I guess as a big chunky man wearing sunglasses and n95 mask, I could’ve looked suspicious buying £500 worth of gift cards. And their “cash only” comment cracked a big crime syndicate.

Harrods 120 posts

All that for minimum wage? Seems a bit excessive

rams 223 posts

Has anyone recently been charged by Morrisons for a gift card which subsequently has a zero balance? I bought one of their own gift cards and only noticed when I got home the receipt for that card says “Declined” yet it still charged me for it. Calling phone line shows it has a zero balance. Not ideal

• This reply was modified 54 years, 4 months ago by .
    travelhacker44 3 posts

rams – this has happened to me once. you have to go back to the exact same store where you made the purchase and tell customer services what happened, they will sort it for you. Big pain in the butt, every time I buy gift cards now I check the GC receipt to make sure that it says “activated”.

can 506 posts

Today is my lucky day. I received all my remaining cash backs. Morrisons, JLewis, Anthropologie…

I wonder why..

mark2 128 posts

The risk with Morrison’s own gift cards is that the number on the activation receipt does not tally with the number on the card (it does on other gift cards). I usually make a small purchase so that the remaining balance shows on the till slip.
    Having said this I have never had a problem with Morrison’s or anyone else’s gift cards.
    I keep some cards to use for fuel, other retailers’ cards or even groceries.

• This reply was modified 54 years, 4 months ago by .
    tw33ty 187 posts

Today is my lucky day. I received all my remaining cash backs. Morrisons, JLewis, Anthropologie…

I wonder why..

I got a lot of outstanding credits this morning from a few different places to my cards, kind of strange.

Maybe that’s the it backlog sorted at Amex, or maybe they are moving to monthly credits all at once. (I doubt the monthly one as I’ve had other credits lately, just wanted to throw in one for the tin foil hats 😂)

rams 223 posts

rams – this has happened to me once. you have to go back to the exact same store where you made the purchase and tell customer services what happened, they will sort it for you. Big pain in the butt, every time I buy gift cards now I check the GC receipt to make sure that it says “activated”.

Thanks, will do this. Wonder what they will make of my receipt when they see it…! This was one of 6 gift cards (rest were Amazon)

davefl 1,224 posts

I wonder why..

I got a lot of outstanding credits this morning from a few different places to my cards, kind of strange.

Maybe that’s the it backlog sorted at Amex, or maybe they are moving to monthly credits all at once. (I doubt the monthly one as I’ve had other credits lately, just wanted to throw in one for the tin foil hats 😂)

Had one from 6th May finally credit this morning, nothing from the march or april transactions.

rams 223 posts

By way of update, it took a while (20 mins+) as they made checks it was a legitimate transaction as the number on the receipt and card don’t match(!) and they concluded the Morrisons gift card batch was the issue and so instead topped up an Amazon card to the same value. Bit of a headache so may avoid Morrisons cards in future.

Tracy 315 posts

Paid for 2 individual united flights on 2nd June, using main and supp card on same account. Received one £250 credit yesterday (supp card), dated 4th. Nothing for the other yet, doesn’t seem to have any pattern for which ones will credit correctly….

Tom2 113 posts

Unpopular opinion: I love that people moan about the offers not triggering when there is clearly an abuse of the terms and conditions stipulated by AMEX.

Where did I abuse the T&C?

I can’t tell you what you bought but most people have bought gift cards which are clearly excluded from the cashback. It is just that Amex (and any other cashback scheme) has no way of telling either.

Well at least we cleared that up. Even if your changed your stance from ‘people’ to ‘most people’. I guess the devil is in the detail.

You realise you have quoted two different people here? I was merely explaining what the original poster was getting at.

travelhacker44 3 posts

rams – glad you got it sorted, always check the GC receipt at point of purchase to see that it says ‘activated’ 🙂

DarrenS 91 posts

I wonder why..

Had one from 6th May finally credit this morning, nothing from the march or april transactions.

I have just had 2 credited.
    13th May transaction. Credited 4th June.
    19th May transaction. Credited 6th June.

kwho 62 posts

Mine got credited too on the 6th. It took almost 2 months.

tw33ty 187 posts

just had two morrisons transactions from early march credit today.

had others credit today as well that had been about a month, and I’ve noticed the AmEx spend calculator for the bonvoy free night is back up and tracking.

yesterday and today ive had lots of amex offers credit, so hoping the IT are now fixed

idrive 27 posts

The risk with Morrison’s own gift cards is that the number on the activation receipt does not tally with the number on the card (it does on other gift cards). I usually make a small purchase so that the remaining balance shows on the till slip.
    Having said this I have never had a problem with Morrison’s or anyone else’s gift cards.
    I keep some cards to use for fuel, other retailers’ cards or even groceries.

It happened with me while buying an Amazon gift card. When i went to spend online, the Amazon Activation number was invalid.
    I then noticed that the last number on the receipt was not corresponding to the actual card they scanned at checkout.
    I went back to the shop, spoke to every manager, they dealt with Head Office for a long time, i had to go to the shop several times and I never managed to get compensated. I lost my money.
    Amazon doesn’t want to deal with that, Morrison doesn’t want to deal with that.
    My case is solid but no one took responsibility for it.

davefl 1,224 posts

I wonder why..

I have just had 2 credited.
    13th May transaction. Credited 4th June.
    19th May transaction. Credited 6th June.

3 more for me today, looks like they’re catching up with no intervention or chasing.

Peter K 553 posts

@iDrive Do a chargeback on your card.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.