Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Payment cards American Express New £300 Platinum dining credit July 2022

• Skywalker 693 posts

OP, so if you had no other means of payment, what would have happened then?

Good question – although as I had somewhere I needed to be (and the tickets for that cost significantly more than I should have saved using the Amex credit), I wasn’t really willing to hang around to insist on speaking to a manager or any other arguing.

As it happens, something else has now come up where I will be able to use the credit before the end of the year, so I won’t faff around with trying to get the Savoy to refund on one card and recharge it to the Amex Platinum. Having said that, both the food and service fell below what I would have expected at the Savoy Grill, so a return visit seems pretty unlikely!

I think we should arrange a HfP meet-up at the Savoy Grill, armed with Amex cards.

😈

tiriavpo 312 posts

Do you get a ‘You have just used your offer’ type email with the dining credit, like you usually get with other offers??

And as far as I can see, it is off the whole bill – ie no differentiation between food and drink, or service charge etc?

Skywalker 693 posts

Morning – has anyone been to the Colonel Louise in Belgium?

If so, is it any good?

If you went as part of the offer, did the credit post quickly?

The reviews seem okayish as restaurants go – just looking to use up the rest of my Amex overseas DC

sm 178 posts

Do you get a ‘You have just used your offer’ type email with the dining credit, like you usually get with other offers??

And as far as I can see, it is off the whole bill – ie no differentiation between food and drink, or service charge etc?

I never got any emails but the credits all came no problem. Recently used the uk one and dining abroad one. No differentiation of service charge etc… Both credited 2-4 days. 👏🏽

strickers 656 posts

Both Madrid restaurants credited within a couple of days, Bibo and Patio de Leones. I’d say the experience was better at the latter of the two.

polly 287 posts

@Marshy11
    Cobham Ivy really lovely. Used to be our fav Italian in the area. Setting v pretty too. Will do one more there, and one at Guildford. Then again in Jan/March. Might buy a gift card tho in Jan, as will be going to Asia late jan, and not much time to go out eating. Lunch, set menu, is good value at the IVY.

Dare2Dream 27 posts

Hi All. I’m visiting NY and Boston in January. Do you think I could buy some e-gift cards now to use over there? Will they count since I’m buying it electronically using my billing address?

Wiseoldman 68 posts

Just been to The Duchess in Amsterdam. OK quality for Amsterdam but they would not survive a week in London with those prices/quality

The_Hanif 10 posts

Do we think there is a date from towards the end of December where the credit of 2023 maybe used instead of the 2022?

Thanks

Skywalker 693 posts

Do we think there is a date from towards the end of December where the credit of 2023 maybe used instead of the 2022?

Thanks

No, from the Ts and Cs:

“The first benefit period ends on 31 December 2022. The next benefit periods will run annually from 1
    January 2023 to 31 December 2023 inclusive, and 1 January 2024 to 31 December 2024 inclusive.
    Unused annual benefits cannot be carried over.”

GaryE 42 posts

Hi

Does anyone know if buying the Ivy restaurant gift vouchers online go via the Ivy system or 3d party facilitators? I know the T&Cs state it excludes gift cards etc but not sure if it was actually checked. TIA

tiriavpo 312 posts

I never got any emails but the credits all came no problem. Recently used the uk one and dining abroad one. No differentiation of service charge etc… Both credited 2-4 days. 👏🏽

Thanks – to close the loop, we dined at the Ivy in York on Tuesday, full £150 credited to the card on Friday.

Fraser 53 posts

Successfully redeemed the abroad dining credit at Gaijin in Helsinki last week. Food and cocktails were excellent.

Credit posted a couple of days later to the statement, along with an app notification to my phone.

Use it or lose it…

Chas 143 posts

Just been to The Duchess in Amsterdam. OK quality for Amsterdam but they would not survive a week in London with those prices/quality

Agreed – we used a large chunk of our two credits there in the summer. Definitely wouldn’t repeat.

bruinbrown 59 posts

Just been to Fish Cheeks in New York. We didn’t use the credit here but we found the place because of the dining offer. Lunch was excellent, the crab curry was incredibly spicy but tasted amazing. I’d 100% recommend it if you’re in NY even if you don’t use the dining credit here.

Wiseoldman 68 posts

Just been to Fish Cheeks in New York. We didn’t use the credit here but we found the place because of the dining offer. Lunch was excellent, the crab curry was incredibly spicy but tasted amazing. I’d 100% recommend it if you’re in NY even if you don’t use the dining credit here.

Hi Chas, Do you recall how long the credits took?

Chas 143 posts

We ate at The Duchess on 20 Aug, and the credit appeared on 24 August. By contrast we spent the remainder of the credit from our two cards over the road at Mr Porter on 21 Aug, but that credit didn’t appear until 29 Aug.

Wiseoldman 68 posts

We ate at The Duchess on 20 Aug, and the credit appeared on 24 August. By contrast we spent the remainder of the credit from our two cards over the road at Mr Porter on 21 Aug, but that credit didn’t appear until 29 Aug.

thank you. We used two separate cards so expecting back £300. hopefully, appears soon!

peckishpassport 44 posts

I am glad to say that Japan is back on the list today 🙂

Thanks! Was hoping it would come back before my January trip.

It’s also still “pocket concierge” rather than individual restaurants, so still includes 800+ restaurants all over Japan.

Does anyone know if a restaurant can be booked and charged in advance using pocket concierge? If so, I could potentially use this year’s £150 credit, as well as next year’s credit. The FAQs seem to imply that your booking in charged in advance when confirmed.

https://help.pocket-concierge.jp/hc/en-us/articles/360000052881-How-do-I-complete-my-payment-and-what-do-I-do-when-I-am-leaving-the-restaurant-Pocket-Experience-

When you book through Pocket Concierge, you will get charged after a few days.

I booked two restaurants and was charged and subsequently credited fairly promptly.

Can’t recommend Ginza Iwa enough for a 12 course Omakase!

jyloox 4 posts

Morning – has anyone been to the Colonel Louise in Belgium?

If so, is it any good?

If you went as part of the offer, did the credit post quickly?

The reviews seem okayish as restaurants go – just looking to use up the rest of my Amex overseas DC

Hi just spotted your question as I was browsing. Yes I went to Colonel Louise with a friend specifically to use the the global dining credit. Food (and wine) were good and credit (minus the foreign exchange fee levied by Amex) appeared a few days after the visit.

Wiseoldman 68 posts

I am glad to say that Japan is back on the list today 🙂

Thanks! Was hoping it would come back before my January trip.

It’s also still “pocket concierge” rather than individual restaurants, so still includes 800+ restaurants all over Japan.

Does anyone know if a restaurant can be booked and charged in advance using pocket concierge? If so, I could potentially use this year’s £150 credit, as well as next year’s credit. The FAQs seem to imply that your booking in charged in advance when confirmed.

https://help.pocket-concierge.jp/hc/en-us/articles/360000052881-How-do-I-complete-my-payment-and-what-do-I-do-when-I-am-leaving-the-restaurant-Pocket-Experience-

When you book through Pocket Concierge, you will get charged after a few days.

I booked two restaurants and was charged and subsequently credited fairly promptly.

Can’t recommend Ginza Iwa enough for a 12 course Omakase!

Just to confirm two lots of £150 appeared today. Diedn on 17th and credit on 23rd.

elguiri 216 posts

Are any of the Brussels restaurants under this offer good for casual dinner? Or maybe just sharing platters and drinks?
    So far they look quite pristine-white-tablecloth

OldComber 31 posts

Utterly bizarre experience at the Savoy Grill yesterday. When I came to settle the bill, I was told they couldn’t accept the Amex Platinum as the waitress was aware of ‘some sort of scam’ where people are trying to use it to get a free meal.
    I asked to speak with a manager, but nobody was available (there seemed to be a very rowdy and drunken group at one table with a number of staff intervening, and some sort of an issue going on at reception), and unfortunately I couldn’t wait for however long it might take (an early curtain at the opera).
    I ended up paying on another Amex, but feel pretty miffed – using the dining credit was a large part of why I had booked.
    To add insult to injury, while most of the meal was very good, the main (Beef Wellington) was pretty bad – a beautiful piece of beef, marred by soggy, doughy, pastry, and a duxelles with the texture of leather and a strong smell of the truffle ‘flavour’ used in cheap truffle oil!

Wow! Good to know.
    I’ve actually got The Savoy Grill booked for Saturday night in a couple of weeks time. You’re convincing me to try somewhere else! I was already in two minds about going, as I’m not sure how child friendly it would be.
    Any alternatives you would recommend in London that I could take my wife & 9 year old? (they’re both coeliacs, so that has to be factored into the menu!)
    We’re staying in Covent Gdn/Soho/Tottenham Court area.

Also – was in Amsterdam at the start of this week and visited Mr Porter. Beautiful meal, though I felt it was expensive for what we had. Dining credit is yet to be applied or acknowledged.

Gin and Tonic Please 7 posts

Was in Vancouver last week, and went to Annalena (which incidentally just made it onto the inaugural Michelin star list for the city). it was excellent. And the credit posted in 3 days.

blueskiesahead 64 posts

Not being city based we struggle to use the dining benefit however on a short stay in Singapore we managed to use it for afternoon tea and champagne at Raffles ! What a result . Afternoon tea was amazing -singapore slings afterwards less so.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.