Forums Payment cards American Express New £300 Platinum dining credit July 2022

• Skywalker 693 posts

Morning, any recommendations for New York? TIA

SteveJ 977 posts

Quality Meats for a great Steak.

SteC 35 posts

Wherever you go, make sure you get the receipt. I have been fighting for them to pay out the credit on a spend at City Winery because the card machine address didn’t match the actual location – Thankfully an agent i spoke to earlier had said it was valid and they are finally going to pay.

Gary 293 posts

Friend booked ROKA Aldwych two Sundays ago. Arrived to discover option of opting for bottomless alcohol (red/white/Prosecco) for 2 hours & also part of Amex Dining! Food portions were generous but quality only a small step up from Eat Tokyo. However, I imagine most patrons did’t mind. Alcohol was served generously, but service was left to be desired (guess one should be grateful anyone even turned up these days). Bill for the bottomless option for two came to £160 with £150 credited 3 days later.

Subsequently popped into Belthazar (also part of Amex Dining) around the corner for cocktails which were again mediocre.

Not sure would book either restaurants myself unless the desire was to experience Covent Garden floating postprandial.

ag 26 posts

I used it at Bistro Leo – pleasant but nothing special and had space on the night I looked. Credit posted around 2 weeks later.

JDB 4,339 posts

Friend booked ROKA Aldwych two Sundays ago. Arrived to discover option of opting for bottomless alcohol (red/white/Prosecco) for 2 hours & also part of Amex Dining! Food portions were generous but quality only a small step up from Eat Tokyo. However, I imagine most patrons did’t mind. Alcohol was served generously, but service was left to be desired (guess one should be grateful anyone even turned up these days). Bill for the bottomless option for two came to £160 with £150 credited 3 days later.

Subsequently popped into Belthazar (also part of Amex Dining) around the corner for cocktails which were again mediocre.

Not sure would book either restaurants myself unless the desire was to experience Covent Garden floating postprandial.

Being on the Amex Plat list is no guarantee of quality and I think both Roka and Balthazar should be fairly well known to anyone on the ball as being all gong and no dinner sort of places with really poor overpriced food and dismissive service.

Rich_A 93 posts

Just booked a restaurant who require a £20pp deposit, and that has gone through as a Stripe transaction. According to the restaurant they will credit the bill with this amount.

Presumably this £20 pp wont count toward the spend target, how are people handling this? Or taking it on the chin?

Suspect you’re right. Since the £20 is just there to guard against no-shows, you could ask the restaurant to refund it once you turn up. Just say you need it to all be on one payment.

Finn 10 posts

Does the restaurant booking have to be booked through the Amex website? Or will walk ins be OK?

Skywalker 693 posts

Thank you for tips @SteveJ, @SteC and @ag

strickers 657 posts

Any recommendations for Madrid team?

Chas 143 posts

Does the restaurant booking have to be booked through the Amex website? Or will walk ins be OK?

Walk-ins absolutely fine, as are direct bookings with the restaurant.

Finn 10 posts

Thanks @Chas

BajanNation 25 posts

I’ve just received my Platinum card. On the app, there’s a link to resy.com when you click “reserve top restaurants”. Do you need to book via here to get the £150 discount? Or can you just use your card to pay and it will automatically be refunded? Thanks.

VerdantBacon 141 posts

I’ve just received my Platinum card. On the app, there’s a link to resy.com when you click “reserve top restaurants”. Do you need to book via here to get the £150 discount? Or can you just use your card to pay and it will automatically be refunded? Thanks.

Just use your card to be refunded, don’t forget to save the offer first though

BajanNation 25 posts

Thanks VB – and for the reminder to save the offer first.

Comrade Chag 79 posts

We had dinner at Hélène Darroze at The Connaught. Offer tracked with no issues. The separate offer on some AMEX cards (spend £75 get £25) also tracked on the same transaction. Used three cards for a total 1x£150 and 3x£25.

Dinner was phenomenal.

RCHammer 64 posts

Anyone used their credit at George W.P.A. in Amsterdam? Went there on 2nd September and no email or credit applied as yet.

meta 1,425 posts

When did transaction appear on the account, not as pending, but as fully processed? It can take a week or longer for FX transactions to be processed in my experience. So it will then take a couple of days for credit to trigger.

RCHammer 64 posts

It is dated 3rd September on my statement but I noticed it had moved from pending on Monday 5th

RCHammer 64 posts

No email but the credit has just posted alongside two others today, a Paypal one and a LNER one

Paul 133 posts

Had Dinner at the Excelsior Terrazza Gallia on the 3rd September and credit processed on the 9th. I think I might have also been able to get some Marriot dining point also but no sign of those yet.
    It was not the best experience especially at over €300 for two. The food looked fabulous, think little works of art on a plate, but despite this failed to delight. Service was so so! After dinner we had coffee and liqueurs on the Terrazza but it was ruined by the cigar/cigarette smoking Asian who swapped between fag and cigar every puff. I half expected him to produce a vape! At €9 for a coffee and €14 for a Sambuco, I really did expect much more

Bill 163 posts

I was looking at the list of restaurants https://www.americanexpress.com/en-gb/benefits/diningbenefit/ and I noticed that only one Hawksmoor is listed: Wood Wharf, 1 Water Street, London, E14 5GX.

This one is somewhat inconvenient and I was planning to go to an alternative site.

I searched this forum and there are posted form pre-Dec 2021 with people saying they had tourble with Hawksmoor credits posting when they went to alternative branches.

I was wondering if anyone has a recent experience of whether the credit would be successful for a different London branch to the one in E14?

Scottpat78 243 posts

I had dinner at The Ivy, Glasgow on Monday 5th. Received email the next day advising I had used my offer, but no credit yet.

Harrods 120 posts

I was looking at the list of restaurants https://www.americanexpress.com/en-gb/benefits/diningbenefit/ and I noticed that only one Hawksmoor is listed: Wood Wharf, 1 Water Street, London, E14 5GX.

This one is somewhat inconvenient and I was planning to go to an alternative site.

I searched this forum and there are posted form pre-Dec 2021 with people saying they had tourble with Hawksmoor credits posting when they went to alternative branches.

I was wondering if anyone has a recent experience of whether the credit would be successful for a different London branch to the one in E14?

Just get a gift card at Wood Wharf location?

strickers 657 posts

The Manchester Hawksmoor is listed?

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.