Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Payment cards American Express Post your American Express Platinum retention offers here!

• Harrier25 849 posts

I have Plat, will my MR points dissapear if I cancel account?

Get yourself the free Amex Rewards credit card and link it to the same online account where your Platinum card is held before cancelling, then your MR points will remain safe.

Rui N. 828 posts

Whats the earliest people have got their retention offer after getting the platinum?

Got 35k MR less than 1 month after upgrading.

TravelFreakUK 1 post

I love this forum. Stumbled across this thread in the same month that my Membership Fee was billed. I have had this card for around 4 years and spend maybe 50k annually on it. Easy call, 50k MR points awarded. Cheers!

S 27 posts

Trawling through this thread looks like not alot of joy for Business platinum holders. The best I was offered for my biz card was a £55 statement credit after I complained about the fee increase over chat. Pushed back but no dice. Better than nothing I guess.

zapato1060 622 posts

Chat denied me any MRs for cancelling. Called phone line and refused any points but was given 10k for 1 or 2 PP denials. Will do full cancel in a week or so.

alig4th 322 posts

Chat denied me any MRs for cancelling. Called phone line and refused any points but was given 10k for 1 or 2 PP denials. Will do full cancel in a week or so.

Just been told on chat, after asking explicitly, that “We [confirmed to mean AMEX globally, not just the India office who I was speaking to] are unable to offer compensation [for refused lounge access, in this case both Plaza and Aspire at Heathrow T5 for a family of 4]”.

Given the comments from multiple people on here and other forums, the rep is clearly misinformed or outright misleading me.

Call to the UK office tomorrow. Adding to the complaint that I’ve been given incorrect information on chat (having wasted a LOT of my time!)

zapato1060 622 posts

Just been told on chat, after asking explicitly, that “We [confirmed to mean AMEX globally, not just the India office who I was speaking to] are unable to offer compensation [for refused lounge access, in this case both Plaza and Aspire at Heathrow T5 for a family of 4]”.

Given the comments from multiple people on here and other forums, the rep is clearly misinformed or outright misleading me.

Call to the UK office tomorrow. Adding to the complaint that I’ve been given incorrect information on chat (having wasted a LOT of my time!)

Misinformed I would say, its like a roulette with these people on chat. I called and it was more like a gesture of goodwill (for having a few PP denials) rather than for me potentially cancelling the card.

rs132 6 posts

Called UK concierge line, offered 35k pretty much instantly. This is at 1 year anniversary of Plat. I did mention some PP rejections.

redethernet1 85 posts

Is the telephone retention line any superior than online chat? Not getting any offers on Platinum at the moment

Reney 755 posts

Is the telephone retention line any superior than online chat? Not getting any offers on Platinum at the moment

When was the last time you had one and how old is the card?

CarpalTravel 362 posts

Player 2 cancelled hers via chat, over 7 months into her membership, no offer was made. She sent me the log as she was so incredulous by the agents behaviour.

She cited her recent poor experience with lounges as the main reason, the agent was extremely evasive. The agent said they would raise the issues internally as feedback, then said thanks and goodbye on the chat, completely disregarding the original request to cancel and not checking if there was anything else she needed.

Pointing out that she was not finished and still wanted to cancel, the agent then said “ok, I respect your decision”. An interesting take. The agent then asked if she wanted to cancel now, or later?!!

A very poor, almost underhanded experience.

JDB 4,335 posts

Player 2 cancelled hers via chat, over 7 months into her membership, no offer was made. She sent me the log as she was so incredulous by the agents behaviour.

She cited her recent poor experience with lounges as the main reason, the agent was extremely evasive. The agent said they would raise the issues internally as feedback, then said thanks and goodbye on the chat, completely disregarding the original request to cancel and not checking if there was anything else she needed.

Pointing out that she was not finished and still wanted to cancel, the agent then said “ok, I respect your decision”. An interesting take. The agent then asked if she wanted to cancel now, or later?!!

A very poor, almost underhanded experience.

What are you saying was such a poor experience? What you describe sounds much like a normal, if slightly unimpressive CS experience probably partly as a result of a language barrier. Or is your annoyance and claim of Amex being almost “underhanded” based on the fact that Player 2 wasn’t offered a richly deserved retention bonus after seven months.

Comrade Chag 79 posts

Agree! Bluff called. Goodbye.

CarpalTravel 362 posts

What are you saying was such a poor experience? What you describe sounds much like a normal, if slightly unimpressive CS experience probably partly as a result of a language barrier. Or is your annoyance and claim of Amex being almost “underhanded” based on the fact that Player 2 wasn’t offered a richly deserved retention bonus after seven months.

Not after a “richly deserved retention bonus” at all, I have had plenty for both of us despite not even looking myself. The intention always was to cancel, she didn’t go begging for retention offerings and had every opportunity to withdraw from the cancellation, if that was her motive. Not everyone is out to game the system, sorry to disappoint.

Having read the full text the agent clearly was trying to distract from the original request and get the chat terminated without cancelling the card. Easy to put it down to being a language thing but far from it, it was cleverly done, it reminded me of dealing with sofa sales people. I have myself used chat many times in the past, this chat was very different. It left a bad taste.

Wrong.

JDB 4,335 posts

Not after a “richly deserved retention bonus” at all, I have had plenty for both of us despite not even looking myself. The intention always was to cancel, she didn’t go begging for retention offerings and had every opportunity to withdraw from the cancellation, if that was her motive. Not everyone is out to game the system, sorry to disappoint.

Having read the full text the agent clearly was trying to distract from the original request and get the chat terminated without cancelling the card. Easy to put it down to being a language thing but far from it, it was cleverly done, it reminded me of dealing with sofa sales people. I have myself used chat many times in the past, this chat was very different. It left a bad taste.

Wrong.

Haha! “The lady doth protest too much, methinks.”

CarpalTravel 362 posts

Oh dear, not your finest effort.

Carlos 758 posts

If there are no retention offers generated the CS agents cant do much. Send a letter to Amex HQ.

Comrade Chag 79 posts

Oh dear, not your finest effort.

Did they proceed with the cancellation?

highnal 20 posts

35k today after calling to ask about retention bonuses. Renewal due in Feb.

CarpalTravel 362 posts

Did they proceed with the cancellation?

Eventually, yes. Including an apparent temporary “disconnection” their end, so they said, that saw them not reply to a message for nearly 10minutes. Perhaps genuine or perhaps, trying to get P2 to give up….

rashomon 75 posts

35k offered over the phone – I have had card since April. MR has landed in my account 30 mins after phone call!

duggie1982 261 posts

posted in wrong chat

Carlos 758 posts

Any chance the brighton team can offer a better response than online chat with
    I respect your decision and In this case I will proceed with the cancellation request as there is no retention offer on the card

thehornets 18 posts

35k offered to me on the phone today via the UK call centre. Didn’t push hard and was absolutely prepared (and intended) to leave.

pelicanicecoffeeolaf 64 posts

Called and was told there was no retention offer available for me. He even said it was “strange” no offers were coming up. Could it be that I only said I was considering cancelling instead of being very firm that I want to cancel? Was it a mistake to ask from the start if there are any retention offers available? I haven’t been actively spending on it since hitting the minimum spend for the bonus points to be fair, maybe they see that and it doesn’t help me. I really will cancel if I’m not offered any extra points. Might as well try live chat too I guess.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.