Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Payment cards American Express Post your American Express Platinum retention offers here!

• Carlos 758 posts

Called and was told there was no retention offer available for me. He even said it was “strange” no offers were coming up. Could it be that I only said I was considering cancelling instead of being very firm that I want to cancel? Was it a mistake to ask from the start if there are any retention offers available? I haven’t been actively spending on it since hitting the minimum spend for the bonus points to be fair, maybe they see that and it doesn’t help me. I really will cancel if I’m not offered any extra points. Might as well try live chat too I guess.

Its a computer says no decision, they (CS) cant pull one out the air or offer a retention based on reason. I left as I wasnt offered a retention and asked for a few weeks

Gary_Dexter 130 posts

Called and was told there was no retention offer available for me. He even said it was “strange” no offers were coming up. Could it be that I only said I was considering cancelling instead of being very firm that I want to cancel? Was it a mistake to ask from the start if there are any retention offers available? I haven’t been actively spending on it since hitting the minimum spend for the bonus points to be fair, maybe they see that and it doesn’t help me. I really will cancel if I’m not offered any extra points. Might as well try live chat too I guess.

Its a computer says no decision, they (CS) cant pull one out the air or offer a retention based on reason. I left as I wasnt offered a retention and asked for a few weeks

Curious as to the reasoning behind wanting a retention?

They’re not obligated to offer one

JDB 4,384 posts

This is the problem with all the retention bonuses being sprayed around by Amex (and nobody else) – you have come to expect one as of right, they are very costly to provide and unfairly give just a few people an unconditional bonus that has an ascertainable cash sum/discounted fee not offered to others. Amex went a bit crazy with them during covid but will now have to wean people off them.

Carlos 758 posts

if you dont ask, you dont get

Gary_Dexter 130 posts

if you dont ask, you dont get

OK.. But you say “I left as I wasnt offered a retention and asked for a few weeks”

So you had no intention of staying or using the card anyway, as you were clearly set on leaving?

Carlos 758 posts

Retentions usually give you a good reason to stay but there was not an offer. Had an offer came about I would have continued to next year

Norm 5 posts

Just had a 50k offer on my renewal month by asking to speak with the cancellations team. When asked for a reason just said “I can’t justify the value proposition of the card lately”. I cited a lounge refusal, a handful of dining offer restaurants on my most recent trip to D.C., travel insurance free through work and HN not really being worth what they charge. She offered on the spot besides many platitudes on the whole Lounge fiasco.

Swiss Jim 48 posts

Just been told via chat that chat cannot offer retentions, and you must always call. I asked them when the change of policy, but they ducked (and I didn’t want to push). Any recent experiences of getting bonus via chat – or being told likewise?

My understanding is bonus via chat (if available) likely to be same as via call – is that also right? I really can’t be bothered to phone up and have to converse with someone reading off a script.

AET 27 posts

Got offered 35k a couple of days after a full year following my prior retention offer had passed.

Initially got connected to a person from the “cancelations” team who was super trigger happy and tried to cancel my card without making any effort to retain custom whatsoever. Offered to connect me to “customer relations” to discuss retention and when the line wait was too long again tried to cancel my card (started reading me the cancelation T&Cs without me even confirming I was ready to cancel). Then after I finally got connected to a representative of the latter team I got the 35k offer within 15 seconds.

pbcold 348 posts

I rang to cancel after 3 weeks and was offered 35,000. I graciously accepted.

Alesio 26 posts

Called today to cancel as coming to my yearly renewal and gave 35k and moved to monthly fee too.

Nordic_Moose 3 posts

Phoned up yesterday to cancel and was offered 35k MR points to stay. Happily accepted.

Aerotec 33 posts

We have a Plat card renewal in early December so has just been processed. I called in March and got the 50k retention deal. Do I need to wait until next March to call and try to get the 35k retention bonus or has anyone had any luck getting the bonus less than 12 months since the last bonus?

I do want to cancel the card but will keep it until Feb so can use the £300 dining crediot and the HN £50 but can wait until March if there is a good chance of the 35k MR points too.

Dare2Dream 27 posts

50k retention deal offered literally 30 seconds into the call. Customer service rep was brilliant.

damboy5 39 posts

I hadn’t had a retention offer for 2 years and I was not offered one last year when I asked. This year, my Amex Plat fee has just been charged to my account. I went via Chat and explained the value proposition being marginal for me at the moment and asked whether there may be a retention offer for me. I also mentioned that the Barclaycard credit card offer was an attractive product and I could not afford both. I was immediately offered 35000 points which I gratefully accepted as I have very limited spend with Amex Plat card. Excellent recognition of my Amex loyalty.

Ash 621 posts

50k retention deal offered literally 30 seconds into the call. Customer service rep was brilliant.

A great offer. Are you a heavy user of the platinum card? Its your only amex card?

BrightO 3 posts

50K retention December ’21. 35k retention today. Both times through chat online but passed through to the cancellations team.

Dare2Dream 27 posts

A great offer. Are you a heavy user of the platinum card? Its your only amex card?

Yes I got the Amex plat in October and it’s my first and only Amex right now as I wanted to test things out. I use it for pretty much all my everyday spend. Will probably start reducing spend on it as I’ve already hit the £6k spend for the welcome bonus.

nike85 27 posts

Called up today as fee is due, said I wasn’t happy with the amount of value. Was given a run down of the benefits and offered 50k points which I accepted. Was told I could call the number on the card to switch to monthly membership fee.

pelicanicecoffeeolaf 64 posts

Just been told via chat that chat cannot offer retentions, and you must always call. I asked them when the change of policy, but they ducked (and I didn’t want to push). Any recent experiences of getting bonus via chat – or being told likewise?

My understanding is bonus via chat (if available) likely to be same as via call – is that also right? I really can’t be bothered to phone up and have to converse with someone reading off a script.

In my experience they seemed to both be the same. Both said there are no retention offers available for me, so it seems like they’re just reading something on the system, so whether you chat or call shouldn’t matter?

andeh3 14 posts

Spoke to retentions today. They couldn’t offer me anything. I had had 35k retention back in August so I wasn’t expecting anything but thought it worth a try, fair enough. I will be cancelling as I can’t justify nearly £50 a month at the moment.

ee 48 posts

Went on chat to cancel my card, having upgraded from Gold during the 40k points promotion last year. Having maxed out the dining and HN offers for 2022 and 2023 I wasn’t expecting any retention but was offered 35k quickly and without asking. Accepted and will revisit value from the card in a couple of months.

roger 232 posts

Current Platinum I am holding for last 10 months and called to cancel today.
    I am offered 50K MR Points just for staying like others and have accepted the offer.
    Not sure how this is sustainable for Amex to offer such a value!

Cranzle 272 posts

Current Platinum I am holding for last 10 months and called to cancel today.
    I am offered 50K MR Points just for staying like others and have accepted the offer.
    Not sure how this is sustainable for Amex to offer such a value!

Were you offered this by telephone or live chat?

roger 232 posts

Were you offered this by telephone or live chat?

It was over the Phone and the advisor must be based in Brighton I am guessing.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.