Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Payment cards American Express Post your American Express Platinum retention offers here!

• executiveclubber 273 posts

I’ve only gone through one renewal cycle, and scores 60k (last April) via live chat. I’m about to renew this April, but live chat rep only offered me the downgrade to the Green card.

So quick question…
    When you call up to discuss renewal, what department are you going through to, and what do you say to them!?

You go through to “Retentions” and you just say “I can’t justify the fee anymore and was wondering if there are any offers on my account to tempt me to stay”. You don’t have to be coy, there either will or won’t be an offer and that’s your answer. If it’s a no, try again every month until it’s a yes basically! 😂

I believe there’s a recent trend of people being offered MR points *after* they pay the fee too, but YMMV 🙂

Hbommie 194 posts

I believe there’s a recent trend of people being offered MR points *after* they pay the fee too, but YMMV 🙂

Bit of a risk re pro rata refunding shenanigans. Will they or won’t they and when will they.

SteveJ 979 posts

50k within a week of hitting SUB target. No hassle, refused the ‘let me remind you about the benefits’ and I skipped straight to asking whether or not there was a retention available, all done over chat.

danimal 85 posts

At the 5th time of asking to close my account, after having an issue with a dining credit not appearing, I have been offered 35000 points with no conditions attached. I will await the dining credit and consider my options.

Doug9x 10 posts

P2 cancelled today having put c. £20k through since November, did ask for retention offer – though no offer and was told it’s dynamic, only ‘offer’ was to downgrade to gold with the full £195 annual cost.

Declined and cancelled.

Fair is fair – prefer to buy a coffee than use a warm sweaty lounge, dinner credits broadly for low rated price inflated restaurants abroad (domestic is great), HN £100 is worth £70 to me, annual travel insurance £60, and car rental cover £50 ISH. Would say value for me is this £180 + £150 domestic dining credit+ £100 honour gold = £350 max.

ringingup 178 posts

I was charged the annual fee 2 days ago. I contacted CS via the chat and I was only offered the possibility to downgrade to the gold card, which I already hold.

It might be because it’s been less 12 months since the last retention bonus.

antuk 10 posts

Ive never had a retention bonus and have had the card 7 years now – no offers, just the option to downgrade to the gold card. Not sure how they decide who qualifies, but seems like newer card holders get better offers

TGLoyalty 537 posts

I’d try again after bank holiday.

Had my card 6-7 years so I don’t think it’s correct about new card holders had offers 3/4 times.

antuk 10 posts

This was the second time I tried with the same result, is it just a case of keep trying every few months or can they see you’ve tried before. Wondering if its better to try calling rather than chat?

AlanC 27 posts

Got 50k last month for an ongoing Plat insurance claim from 27th January that they still haven’t paid up. Only £670 for a broken tooth in Dubai. Said I wanted to cancel as the main reason was the so called top of the range Platinum insurance has let me down. Agent offered the points and to take on the claim personally. Still waiting 2 weeks after sending the same docs again. Will ask for more points next week after Easter holiday.

mikey0 5 posts

Just had a live chat with Amex as I’m approaching my first anniversary date with the platinum card. I’ve been offered 35000 points to stay for another year. Happy with that.

sturgeon 193 posts

Signed up in January and just hit the £10k. I’d tried it on a few times before now for a retention but no luck. I assume as I’ve now hit £10k I’m worth retaining, they just offered 50k on live chat which is very decent.

Obviously now taking the piss but when can I try for another retention? In a few months time or only just before my anniversary? I was about to switch back to my BA Amex for the better earning rate. Also as experiences on here seem to suggest spend volume on platinum doesn’t seem to correlate with retention offers so me putting another £5-10k through I’m not sure will help.

aq.1988 454 posts

I’ve just recently hit the £10k after upgrading from Gold for the 75k. “Only” offered 35k on chat. A decent amount but slightly disappointing when some others are getting 75k or 50k. Have managed to get 90k in referrals this year, but can’t make use of the current offer of triple points, though.

I might ask again at renewal, but they are already offering 25k when spending anything at month 15, so I guess they will probably point to that, which is fair enough. But, that is unlikely to be enough to keep me to renew, as I am probably not going to be able to use the 2024 Global Dining credit, and they haven’t even confirmed if that will continue into 2025.

executiveclubber 273 posts

Only being offered downgrade to Gold… would be happy with 35k at this point 🥲

mrd 20 posts

I’m also being offered a downgrade to Gold or the free card. I’ve met the 10k spend but they’re not offering me anything.

sturgeon 193 posts

Do you both have other Amex cards or only platinum? The randomness of who gets what offers is odd

mrd 20 posts

I also have a gold card (which is why I was baffled when they even suggested to downgrade me to gold!) and an everyday cashback card.

antuk 10 posts

Is everyone getting offers using chat, or is there better luck over the phone?

phantomchickenz 318 posts

Successfully had £200 of interest charges reversed today after I got my dates mixed up and paid off a bill one day late. Then asked about any retention offers and they had the nerve to say that since I accepted 50k in January I am not entitled to another. How dare they!

In all honesty though, completely fair enough – just thought I’d try my luck given some of the stories from others. Will give it one last try next month before the annual fee is due, then cancel.

S879 96 posts

You go through to “Retentions” and you just say “I can’t justify the fee anymore and was wondering if there are any offers on my account to tempt me to stay”. You don’t have to be coy, there either will or won’t be an offer and that’s your answer. If it’s a no, try again every month until it’s a yes basically! 😂

Nothing offered as retention (did not say l wished to cancel). In 6 months have spent about 15k. Will try again after a few weeks as if no success, might just cancel.

TooPoorToBeHere 238 posts

Did web chat to cancel yesterday as renewal is around the corner.

Offered nothing, which is fair as I’ve used it only for small amounts of blatantly-manufactured spend.

Cancelled.

Vit 158 posts

Player A: upgraded in Nov 2023, spent all dining credits, HN, lounge access, hit £10k Feb 2024. Total MR accrued: 115k. [75k upgrade + 5k supp + 35k retention].

Player B: upgraded in Feb 2024, spent all “benefits” above, hit £6k Apr 2024 + additional spending to above £10k. Total MR accrued: 100k [40k upgrade + 10k supp (not sure I got 5k twice but not complaning) + 50k retention].

Retention all done through webchat. Was told it is all algorithm assigned as per MR point.

Player A downgraded the card to Gold (free 1st year). Player B undecided.

Harrods 120 posts

Are pro rata refunds still going ahead?

antuk 10 posts

Does anyone have any better luck getting a retention offer over the phone rather than via chat?

Vliegeling 1 post

Got 50K offered today on chat, took it.

That’s after the 75k upgrade in Dec and 10K retention offer on Gold card June last year.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.