Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Payment cards American Express Post your American Express Platinum retention offers here!

• JDB 4,387 posts

Had the card since November, hit the spend. No retention offers available. Explained how Dining Credits are a wasted benefit for me as nothing provided for Ireland – made no difference, system deems me unworthy of an offer.

Will keep for now and reconsider what to do in a few months.

Try again in March. They have blown this month’s retention budget. Free flow points resume on Friday.

iEimis 79 posts

A family member cancelled after taking out the Plat at the end of last year for the sign up bonus. The 10K spend target was reached, and a couple of weeks later after asking to cancel, they were offered 50MR points to stay.

On the other hand, I asked about cancelling and was my loyalty was thanked and they said they could downgrade me. Not surprising as I’ve hardly put any spend through it of late. I’m tempted to just cancel all together and re-start the cycle.

It’s quite funny how thick Amex seems to be. They see spending so offer a retention seemingly without realising that the higher recent spend was to reach a SUB so they pay the cardholder twice. Great for the recipient, rubbish for all the other cardholders who subsidise the MR confetti.

Exactly that. Makes me think I should have asked for the retention immediately after hitting £10k spend in late October as opposed to waiting until late Jan for when I was truly considering cancelling for a pro-rata refund. Maybe they would have offered 75k instead, lol.

jeff 36 posts

No retention offers available for P2 today. Just hit £10,000 spend, received 75,000 MR, card taken out in Nov.

JDB 4,387 posts

No retention offers available for P2 today. Just hit £10,000 spend, received 75,000 MR, card taken out in Nov.

The moment of just hitting the £10k is possibly not a smart moment to ask. A bit like asking someone to sleep with them within moments of meeting. A little more time/finesse may yield the desired outcome.

kebl2555 29 posts

Have had a platinum card for 21 months and in that time have received the 100k sub and 2 x 35k retention bonuses with the latest one last week. Happy to keep the card if I continue to receive a retention bonus each subscription year.

byronlewis 41 posts

My anniversary is coming up in April so I got on the chat and have secured the 50k points without any spending commitment. I reckon i’ve more than covered the fee in the last year, between lounge visits, using the uk and the abroad dining, the travel credit etc etc etc. I’m still trying to convince my mates to sign up though – that’s been the hardest bit!! (Not even for the Platinum but any Amex card!)

Hbommie 194 posts

My anniversary is coming up in April so I got on the chat and have secured the 50k points without any spending commitment. I reckon i’ve more than covered the fee in the last year, between lounge visits, using the uk and the abroad dining, the travel credit etc etc etc. I’m still trying to convince my mates to sign up though – that’s been the hardest bit!! (Not even for the Platinum but any Amex card!)

Good to see, I’ll be chatting soon.

heartfaced 6 posts

35k points on the platinum today. No commitment. Renewal next month (April).

No Longer Entitled 117 posts

75,000 MR with no spend requirement!!!

I got the card 28 Dec 2023. Spent HN and Dining Credit before 31 Dec. I had spent the £10k by 23 Jan because I had been holding off on a large purchase. This got me the 80,000 MR point SUB bonus. Including spend and 5,000 MR points for a supplemental card I transferred out 95,000 MR to Hilton 11 Feb. Used the chat today to ask for a retention bonus

Chat
    Me: Hi XXXX, I am thinking about cancelling my card. With the pro-rata refunds about to removed I am unsure I see sufficient long term value to justify the fee. Are there any retention offers that I could take advantage of?
    Amex: You are right that there is a fee associated with this card. That makes sense to me. The value of the card and the benefits generally outweigh the annual fee. If you may allow, I would be more than happy to explain how the benefits and services outweigh the cost. Shall I?
    Me: No thanks
    Amex: No problem. I would like to offer you a 75,000 Membership Reward credit to your account. For reference: (75k MR = £337, over 55% of annual fee)
    Me: okay. I do value MR points so will accept that retention offer.
    Amex: Thank you for waiting. The offer has been enrolled, the points will be added 24-48 hours

And that was it. Took 2 mins and I have now earned 170,000 MR points in about 6wks. I’ve also got a bottle of HN Champagne and a £150 Ivy voucher. I’ll probably get another bottle of HN Champagne and will most likely use the dining credit in the next few weeks so that’s another £400 worth of value. And I can still cancel when/if the pro-rata fee comes in. Amex have lost their mind!?!

Since the above I have used the card twice. £85 at Harvey Nich’s (£50 back) and £150 at Hawksmoor (£150 back, plus a further £15 credit for dining out). So having used those annual credits at a cost of £20 to me I just used the chat to genuinely try and leave and Amex has just given me a further 50,000 MR Points with no strings attached.

This is insane.

TGLoyalty 537 posts

35k to keep Platinum again. Sounds like I should ask more often than yearly but it was genuine as I’ve had enough of 0 Amex offers.

dannyc 8 posts

I thought retention offers were only given once a year?

Hbommie 194 posts

Offered a downgrade recently with no MR offered. I must be a peasant and not worth their time (been with Amex for 12yrs).

I’ll cancel when I’ve rinsed the benefits, which have been ok but as I struggle to get the full package living in the sticks the retention kept me happy.

BBbetter 645 posts

Offered a downgrade recently with no MR offered. I must be a peasant and not worth their time (been with Amex for 12yrs).

HUACA.

CarpalTravel 363 posts

I thought retention offers were only given once a year?

Will vary per person, but I got two within 3 months of each other, starting after only having had the card for 6 months. Both times I was determined to cancel but persuaded by the chunky offerings. Third time (another 3 months later) I told them not to try and just cancelled.

Maples 195 posts

Do you get to keep the current card number or do you have to signup for the ARCC or Gold?

Hbommie 194 posts

Do you get to keep the current card number or do you have to signup for the ARCC or Gold?

I don’t know? I wouldnt downgrade to Gold, I’ll be cancelling.

dannyc 8 posts

Perhaps new cardholders are eligible for an initial retention, as a one off for being new, as well as as an annual retention?

davidl 30 posts

I don’t know? I wouldnt downgrade to Gold, I’ll be cancelling.

New card number

Alan TJ 34 posts

It looks like you may now have to go down to the final line if you want to find out if there are any retention offers.

We decided to cancel my wife’s Plat, mainly because of the lack of decent offers over the past six months and after getting her a sup on my Plat.

I did it for her over Chat and asked if there were any retention offers. I was told no, and the agent then went through the long cancelation script.

After listening to and then confirming twice she knew all the benefits and still wanted to cancel, as the card was no longer offering enough value to offset the fee we got to a final answer moment

“can you confirm you want to cancel” to which I replied yes if you cannot offer any reason to change my mind.

She then was offered and accepted 35,000 member points to keep the card.

TGLoyalty 537 posts

Perhaps new cardholders are eligible for an initial retention, as a one off for being new, as well as as an annual retention?

I have had 2 in a year before but I just never got round to it for a while. Had the card since late 2020

In a previous life I would have just churned so tbh it’s easier for me and them

JDB 4,387 posts

On my collation of the data, you can easily get a retention every 8 to 9 months and the ante has gone up from a fairly standard 35,000 in 2021/22 to the new, more usual, standard of 50,000 and up to 75,000. It doesn’t feel like a sustainable business model but, for now, it’s the gift that keeps on giving.

Freddy 12 posts

Got offered nothing lol – ahh well, changed over to a business plat in wife name so wasnt that bothered anyway

jsto 75 posts

Unsuccessful on chat a few weeks ago. Called up today during business hours – 50k. Was 13 months after my last retention offer.

directordash 4 posts

I’ve only gone through one renewal cycle, and scores 60k (last April) via live chat. I’m about to renew this April, but live chat rep only offered me the downgrade to the Green card.

So quick question…
    When you call up to discuss renewal, what department are you going through to, and what do you say to them!?

Hbommie 194 posts

Ask @No Longer Entitled

🙂

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.