Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Payment cards American Express Post your American Express Platinum retention offers here!

• Rui N. 831 posts

Current Platinum I am holding for last 10 months and called to cancel today.
    I am offered 50K MR Points just for staying like others and have accepted the offer.
    Not sure how this is sustainable for Amex to offer such a value!

As reported earlier in this thread, I upgraded from Gold to get the 40k points, and after getting those I tried to cancel and got offered 35k points.
    I gladly took the points, but it was a bit ridiculous.

smitrax 21 posts

I was a bit annoyed at not being selected the £100 Amex travel cashback offer so went into chat to see if there was a retention offer available. Was passed to the cancellation team on chat and they offered 50k no strings so I gratefully accepted.

I’m just coming up to my annual renewal and this is the second 50k I’ve had in the last 12 months.

idrive 27 posts

I was a bit annoyed at not being selected the £100 Amex travel cashback offer so went into chat to see if there was a retention offer available. Was passed to the cancellation team on chat and they offered 50k no strings so I gratefully accepted.

I’m just coming up to my annual renewal and this is the second 50k I’ve had in the last 12 months.

hello! Any specific reason for cancellation? did you use dinner benefits or else? did you spend on the card? just trying to understand how it works to offer 50k or less…

GJS 28 posts

Nothing here – via chat and speaking to Brighton. I’ve had the card for 11 months. I wonder if it’s because I’m paying monthly. Will try again when 12 months have passed.

idrive 27 posts

Nothing here – via chat and speaking to Brighton. I’ve had the card for 11 months. I wonder if it’s because I’m paying monthly. Will try again when 12 months have passed.

YES, that is the reason

smitrax 21 posts

hello! Any specific reason for cancellation? did you use dinner benefits or else? did you spend on the card? just trying to understand how it works to offer 50k or less…

I didn’t even mention I was thinking of cancelling, I just asked nicely if there were any retention offers on my account. I pay the fee annually and put £33k through the card in 2022. Used all dinner benefits, Harvey Nichols offers and a number of other cash back offers through 2022.

MattB 261 posts

Got 35k on chat earlier

Carlos 758 posts

Got 35k on chat earlier

Any back history?

OH took an upgrade from Gold but not had a retention bonus before that.. not getting any progress with live chat CS

MattB 261 posts

Had the card 10 months, not tried for retention offer before.

OldComber 31 posts

Just got 35k – no strings attached. will be credited in 24-48 hrs.
    Had a platinum almost 11 months.
    Havent’ used it for spend much after the initial sub qualification, as I switched my spend to a new BA PP card.
    Although I’ve hammered value out of it for PP lounge visits, offers, dining credit etc.
    Happy enough, though 50k would be nicer!

gtellez 162 posts

After complaining that I don’t have the option to refer friends anymore, I asked to cancel my card (after 6 months, upgraded from gold with the 40k points, not used it much after it) and got 35k, happy for few more months.

Jimbob 29 posts

50k points offered over chat after asking for a retention offer.
    Had the card 9 months

G 32 posts

Got the card in October as part of the upgrade 40k offer. Have spend around £6/7k on the card.

Was going to wait a while to threaten to cancel as I still need to used the UK dining credit. However I just messaged to ask if there were any retention offers and was given 35k without too much effort. Will use the dining credit and try to cancel in a few months.

rum 275 posts

First time I have tried asking for this on chat. I got 35K instantly. I’ve only spent just over the minimum required to get the upgrade bonus on this account and it is a relatively new account. Upgraded in September 2022.

tp1404 33 posts

I joined the Platinum card in October 2022, recently qualified for the welcome bonus, and have successfully got 35,000 membership rewards points today through a simple online chat request.

alantj 7 posts

Yesterday I got 35,000 for my wife via chat. I did push quite hard for a better offer but they were not prepared to go any higher. Interestingly they seemed to have a set of preprepared responses to requests for more than 35,000

Harrier25 852 posts

Interestingly they seemed to have a set of preprepared responses to requests for more than 35,000

Such as, “Clear off you cheeky blighter!”

alig4th 322 posts

Interestingly they seemed to have a set of preprepared responses to requests for more than 35,000

Such as, “Clear off you cheeky blighter!”

Ha ha! I really hope this was one of them, although I think this is such an “English-ism” it may not mean anything to the rep saying it.

Still, don’t ask, don’t get, eh?

Harrier25 852 posts

Still, don’t ask, don’t get, eh?

👍

strickers 651 posts

35k today via chat, last bonus in May, had the Plat card for 6 years, just got off the referral naughty step.

windym 20 posts

Had my card since Sept 2022 and reached the bonus in November. Tried to get an offer on chat but no joy. I do most of my spending on BA Plus and wondered if they think I will still spend anyway, just on a different card.

Wiseoldman 69 posts

Asked for retention offer on Personal Platinum; rarely used since the 70,000 bonus. Nothing offered other than monthly billing. Just signed up for BAPP so will cancel the card after using the dining credits etc!

BuildBackBetter 705 posts

First time I have tried asking for this on chat. I got 35K instantly. I’ve only spent just over the minimum required to get the upgrade bonus on this account and it is a relatively new account. Upgraded in September 2022.

Same here. Looks like just 35k for those who upgraded or havent completed one year.

Carlos 758 posts

OH offered 50k for keeping platinum

SteveJ 979 posts

Player 2 had card for 4 months, sub earned. Cancelled over chat, checked and no retention offered. Proceeded with cancellation.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.