Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Payment cards American Express Post your American Express Platinum retention offers here!

• PIL 97 posts

@Reney when I looked I thought I could only go back 12 months and given I didn’t find the bonus I assumed it landed further back. That’s the only reason I’m in the verge of contacting them again as it felt like less than a year ago.

@PIL
    , Will dig a little deeper and look for those monthly account statements.

From recent experiences, if it is more than 6 months, you will probably get a retention offer 🙂

ar 7 posts

Spent about £6k on the card in the previous year; have had the card open since August 2018. Got 35k MR retention offer via chat. Not bad, especially because I can move these to US MRs as someone with Amex cards in both the US and UK, so effectively like a 42k retention offer even at the current crappy exchange rate…

• This reply was modified 54 years, 4 months ago by .
    brian 82 posts

Is there anyway to ensure I get in touch with the retention team? I used the chat today to indicate I was unhappy with the value I was getting out of my £575 annual fee I and wanted to know about receiving cashback (eg the Harvey Nichols offer) after cancelling a card. I was told it would all be resolved and was then asked if I would like to cancel my card now. There was no mention of a retention bonus although I’m not sure if their system would raise it at some point within the actual cancellation process?

Jay-Marc 12 posts

I think you can be quite upfront with asking if there is any incentive to stay with your current card and you should get passed over to retentions. They may offer you some lesser card first but if you are persistent there is a good chance you will be offered at least 35k which seems a fairly standard amount at present from above and personally. My experience is about 3 weeks old so the position might have hardened I suppose.

Reney 755 posts

Is there anyway to ensure I get in touch with the retention team? I used the chat today to indicate I was unhappy with the value I was getting out of my £575 annual fee I and wanted to know about receiving cashback (eg the Harvey Nichols offer) after cancelling a card. I was told it would all be resolved and was then asked if I would like to cancel my card now. There was no mention of a retention bonus although I’m not sure if their system would raise it at some point within the actual cancellation process?

You can ask to speak to the retention team.

Reney 755 posts

@Reney when I looked I thought I could only go back 12 months and given I didn’t find the bonus I assumed it landed further back. That’s the only reason I’m in the verge of contacting them again as it felt like less than a year ago.

@PIL
    , Will dig a little deeper and look for those monthly account statements.

I am confused, if you can see the last 12 months and you can’t see it, doesn’t that answer your question?

brian 82 posts

Thanks @Jay-Marc and @Reney. I think I’ll make use of the Harvey Nichols offer this week then call saying I’d like to speak to the retention team and if I can’t get the 35k points at least I’ll cancel.

@Reney
    , you are right, it does somewhat answer me question but I was looking for confirmation. By looking at my full statements I was able to get that further information.

PIL 97 posts

I think you can be quite upfront with asking if there is any incentive to stay with your current card and you should get passed over to retentions. They may offer you some lesser card first but if you are persistent there is a good chance you will be offered at least 35k which seems a fairly standard amount at present from above and personally. My experience is about 3 weeks old so the position might have hardened I suppose.

I agree, every time I asked whether a retention offer was available for me and I was put through to the retentions team. It is far better if you are straightforward and explain what you are after

The HN offer may take up to 180 days to post, so I would not rely on that.

willie 22 posts

The HN offer may take up to 180 days to post, so I would not rely on that.

Data point – Harvey Nics purchase made 3rd July, credit posted 5th July.

roger 232 posts

My HN last month – the credit was posted before I received the home delivery.

gary w 22 posts

Your best asking for a discount on the annual fee. They always refuse to offer discount but offer points and refer to the value of them. My 50K bonus is equivalent to 36% fee discount

thegreatdane 14 posts

I am clearly not very good at this. I have been contemplating cancelling my gold card for some time due to getting the Barclays Avios card as my second fee paying card. Had my BA gold for 3 years. Hit the yearly bonus each year. Was offered 10k, which I thought was disappointing, they said it was the best they could do. Told them to cancel which the proceeded with, at the last second, I reverted my decision and took the 10k.

RonnieB 289 posts

I am clearly not very good at this. I have been contemplating cancelling my gold card for some time due to getting the Barclays Avios card as my second fee paying card. Had my BA gold for 3 years. Hit the yearly bonus each year. Was offered 10k, which I thought was disappointing, they said it was the best they could do. Told them to cancel which the proceeded with, at the last second, I reverted my decision and took the 10k.

You’re in the wrong forum, this is for Platinum. 10k is all you can expect on other cards.

RonnieB 289 posts

Got a 35k retention offer recently but it was obvious with travel resuming that they are being a little more difficult with retention bonuses. To be expected at some point I suppose.

Splatt 2 posts

50k via chat in the last week.

Supergers49 225 posts

Went on live chat today. Stated that I had been refused entry to lounges several times recently (devaluing the PP), the cashback offers had been poor for months, and that I have a pre-existing condition which devalues the travel insurance. I requested a reduction in the annual fee or other incentive to retain the card. The initial chat agent was diabolical but once they finally put me through to retentions a 35k retention bonus was offerred. This is the second one I have had in 18 months. Plus I have previously chosen to pay the card fee monthly.

Plus they stated in the live chat that 35k MR points is worth £157!

Bill 163 posts

50k in the chat last week

willie 22 posts

Had the card since January, did a live chat yesterday to be told no retention offers were available.

Sound correct, or HUACA?

meta 1,426 posts

Don’t think they’ll be giving any retention offers for a while given that they are just about to launch £300 dining credit offer.

Harrier25 849 posts

I’ve only had success towards the end of my card year with PRG.

brian 82 posts

On hearing news of the upcoming £300 dining credit offer I called them straight away enquiring about retention offers. Fortunately I got 35k and they did not explicitly mention the upcoming dining credit offer.

LondonFly 84 posts

Has anyone ever received a retention offer on the business platinum card?

smitrax 20 posts

Just received 50k for asking if there were any retention offers. No spend requirement, just offered to give me 50k and will show within 48 hrs. I’m amazed and delighted.

LeeG 34 posts

On hearing news of the upcoming £300 dining credit offer I called them straight away enquiring about retention offers. Fortunately I got 35k and they did not explicitly mention the upcoming dining credit offer.

Jumped in before the official dining announcement like you @brian and got 35k as well. Took a bit of time as they wanted to explain the benefits I may not know about but got there in the end. Account opened in November ’22.

JoeL 13 posts

Has anyone ever received a retention offer on the business platinum card?

I attempted earlier today on the business platinum and was only offered a downgrade to Gold. I do put a relatively substantial amount through my business Amex cards so it was somewhat disappointing. I only took the plat out in February and got the enhanced 100k welcome bonus, so will try again at renewal.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.