Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Payment cards American Express Post your American Express Platinum retention offers here!

• Reney 755 posts

OH not offered any retention offers, held gold card for 6 months, £11k/£15k of anniversary bonus hit.

Any idea on when the first retention offer is likely to be given?

Probably at the end of the first year when you are about to be charged, since your first year is free. Cards that have been receiving retention tends to be the expensive ones.

Reney 755 posts

We’re going to call to cancel my wife’s personal plat as she’s just referred me under the current 65K offer. Out of interest, if they do offer her a number of MR to stay, do they normally come tied to a particular timeframe? Or can she keep the retention points and still cancel in a few weeks time?

Don’t want to be getting in the Amex bad books but equally we’ve been customers for 10+ years and never even thought to ask for a retention offer. Not to mention the customer service has been particularly lousy recently.

No reporting that Plat retention comes with ties, what will make you look bad to them is your judgement.

Reney 755 posts

No retention or bonus for OH. 4 years , retention offer in September 2021

There are some reported data points that you have to wait one year between retention bonus.

Stephen 48 posts

Called to cancel my personal Platinum card (signed up September 2020). I had received some large bonus MR points previously (75,000 points)

Initially just offered to pay monthly or downgrade to Gold card (free for first year) by a Brighton rep. I needed to link my MR accounts, so had to speak to the business team who then transferred me back to the cancellations team.

When speaking to the cancellations team after being transferred back, they offered 35,000 MR points which I accepted

So it’s worth trying again if no luck the first time

chelseafifi 53 posts

I’m thinking of cancelling card via chat do I have to empty MR first or can this still be done from my online account within a certain time, if they offer retention bonus I might still stay. Thanks

Reney 755 posts

I’m thinking of cancelling card via chat do I have to empty MR first or can this still be done from my online account within a certain time, if they offer retention bonus I might still stay. Thanks

if they don’t offer you one just say thanks, let me think about it. End chat, empty MR account and chat again to close. Similar if on phone.

Stephen 48 posts

They expire 30 days after you close the card

Reborn Phoenix 9 posts

Got the card made in April mid. Managed the 6k spend by first week June. Called to ask for “considering to stay but fee too high, any retention offers”? – they offered a gold card with 10k bonus if doing 15k spend. I politely said I will consider and revert.

Then contacted via app – same deal – they offered a 50k points bonus – no strings attached. No spend requirement and no need to stay with card for a min period (I specifically asked). Will be posted in 24 to 48 hrs.

That is literally 30k referral bonus + 65k welcome + 50k retention = 145k for about 75£ of prorated annual fee

• This reply was modified 54 years, 4 months ago by .
    Harrods 120 posts

Got the card made in April mid. Managed the 6k spend by first week June. Called to ask for “considering to stay but fee too high, any retention offers”? – they offered a gold card with 10k bonus if doing 15k spend. I politely said I will consider and revert.

Then contacted via app – same deal – they offered a 50k points bonus – no strings attached. No spend requirement and no need to stay with card for a min period (I specifically asked). Will be posted in 24 to 48 hrs.

That is literally 30k referral bonus + 65k welcome + 50k retention = 145k for about 75£ of prorated annual fee

Was this over the weekend?

dst87 263 posts

Got the card last March and used chat today (Sunday) just after 5pm, explaining that I wasn’t sure I’d get value over the next 12 months (not a lie) and asking if there were retention offers available. Was offered 50k MR points with no strings as a retention. Described as a “one time bonus for my loyalty”.

Have been an Amex customer since 2015 and this is my first retention offer.

ringingup 176 posts

I’d tried a couple of months ago, but my last retention bonus was in May 2021. So I tried again today. First via chat, but I was asked to call. I called, spoke to someone who said they couldn’t do much. They offered to put me in touch with the cancellation team, who eventually said they could offer £50k, which I accepted. It did take quite a lot of explaining why I was considering cancelling, why I wasn’t getting value from the benefits, etc.

RK228 202 posts

They offered to put me in touch with the cancellation team, who eventually said they could offer £50k, which I accepted.

I wouldn’t blame you for accepting that offer!

ringingup 176 posts

They offered to put me in touch with the cancellation team, who eventually said they could offer £50k, which I accepted.

I wouldn’t blame you for accepting that offer!

Lol, I wish! 50k MRs 😀

peckishpassport 44 posts

50K MR for me over chat after being passed over to the ‘Cancellations’ team.

I’ve had the Platinum for over 5 years, and previous retention was over a year ago – 50K iirc.

elguiri 216 posts

I feel a little short-changed. Only got 35k MR offered from ‘cancellations team’ after about 9 months of having the Plat card.

Gavin454 157 posts

I originally signed up to the Platinum card about 18 months ago. After 6 months, I had a 35k retention bonus. I’ve waited about 1 year + 2 weeks since my first retention bonus, and just been offered 50k for my second on chat via the app (got passed to the retentions team).

CarpalTravel 362 posts

35k points yesterday to keep the card, on top of the 50k points they gave me earlier this year to keep the card. This has worked out really well given the cracking sign up bonus too. I genuinely was looking to cancel and thought I had left it long enough not to be extracting the urine, to get another offer was a surprise and one I felt I couldn’t turn down.

gary w 22 posts

50k today for me via online chat. I asked to close my account and then requested a discount to the fee as I didnt see the current offer value for money. I’ve had the card 8 months and got 60k bonus for signing up
    “in recognition of your loyalty to us I would like to offer you 50,000 membership reward credit to your account. This is equivalent to 35% of the annual fee. You do not need to do anything the points will show in 24-48 hours.
    Yes please… Accepted

• This reply was modified 54 years, 4 months ago by .
    ATP 59 posts

50k via chat for me – card fee hit this month. 1 year since last retention – 50k too IIRC.

can 506 posts

Any bonus for those on the monthly fee?
    If so when did you try?

gary w 22 posts

I’m in monthly fee and have held my card for 10 months. Got 50k retainer when I complained about not getting into airport lounges and that all platinum perks are in London, I’m in Leeds! Worth a try they can only say no

brian 82 posts

Is there any easy way to find out when a previous bonus would have been applied? I’ve got a feeling that I’ve just gone past 12 months since my last successful attempt but would like to make sure before getting in contact again.

Tempted to cancel as soon as I make use of the next £50 of Harvey Nichols credit but could be persuaded by a 50k loyalty bonus.

Reney 755 posts

Is there any easy way to find out when a previous bonus would have been applied? I’ve got a feeling that I’ve just gone past 12 months since my last successful attempt but would like to make sure before getting in contact again.

Tempted to cancel as soon as I make use of the next £50 of Harvey Nichols credit but could be persuaded by a 50k loyalty bonus.

Look at your points history to see when the last bonus landed in your account.

PIL 97 posts

You can also refer to your monthly account statements to find this piece of info

brian 82 posts

@Reney when I looked I thought I could only go back 12 months and given I didn’t find the bonus I assumed it landed further back. That’s the only reason I’m in the verge of contacting them again as it felt like less than a year ago.

@PIL
    , Will dig a little deeper and look for those monthly account statements.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.