Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Payment cards American Express Post your American Express Platinum retention offers here!

• Gavin454 158 posts

Pleasantly surprised with a 75,000 MR bonus to not cancel my card.. took it up obviously! I think my last one was back July last year…

That would be a surprise – it seems from most other reports that a subsequent retention offer is only available when 1 year has passed since the previous one.

lev441 43 posts

Pleasantly surprised with a 75,000 MR bonus to not cancel my card.. took it up obviously! I think my last one was back July last year…

That would be a surprise – it seems from most other reports that a subsequent retention offer is only available when 1 year has passed since the previous one.

I double checked my statements now the Amex website is functioning again – 50,000 MR bonus in July 2021 and the 75,000 MR bonus last week. I was genuinely calling to cancel but he offered that bonus straight away…

RyanB 29 posts

Have just been offered and accepted 75,000 points not to cancel which I was very happy with. Took out the card in October last year with a 60,000 point bonus and the £200 dining credit so not a bad return in 7 months

Andrew J 769 posts

Have just been offered and accepted 75,000 points not to cancel which I was very happy with. Took out the card in October last year with a 60,000 point bonus and the £200 dining credit so not a bad return in 7 months

And the Harvey Nics £50

LondonFly 84 posts

Are these offers best through chat or phone call?

And the Harvey Nics £50

lev441 43 posts

And the Harvey Nics £50

Phone call

RyanB 29 posts

And the Harvey Nics £50

Phone call

And the Harvey Nics £50

Yes I had forgot about the £50 credit! I tried but chat but it didn’t seem to work so rang up and it was all done within a few minutes

Amy C 369 posts

Are those of you being offered 75k spending a lot on the card? I spend mostly on the BAPP. Wondering if what’s offered is luck or based on how valuable you are to them.

RonnieB 289 posts

Are those of you being offered 75k spending a lot on the card? I spend mostly on the BAPP. Wondering if what’s offered is luck or based on how valuable you are to them.

Yes I was wondering this as well, seems a huge amount of points. I called recently and was told to call back in July as that was 12 months since my last bonus – of 35000 points!

RyanB 29 posts

I spent a lot on the card at the start to hit the £6000 spend to trigger the bonus but since then I have barely spent anything on the card, have moved all my spending back to BAPP. I do also have the platinum business card which has a fair amount of monthly spend on it, I may call them to see if they can also give me a retention offer on the business card

Josh100 5 posts

Has anyone had a retention bonus with the business platinum card?
    I called today to cancel as just paid the renewal and was only offered a free downgrade to Gold or double points for 6 months.

Runnicker 3 posts

Just been offered 35K points. I also got 50k points last December. They mentioned I had been with them 4 years. My spend level used to be around £2k a month on this card, but since January £0 a month. I accepted

wsy 13 posts

After reading about the successful retention offers here I decided to try my luck via chat as have been thinking about trying to downgrade to the gold charge card. They offered me 75,000 points, no spend requirement, which I accepted (now waiting for the points to post). For context, I got the card in October 2021 and have not received any other retention offers.

flyingmuffin 2 posts

Cancelled online via chat. Member since 2019. No retention offers previously. Wasn’t offered anything. Cancelled immediately and didn’t try and get me to change my mind.

Gareth 28 posts

After reading about the successful retention offers here I decided to try my luck via chat as have been thinking about trying to downgrade to the gold charge card. They offered me 75,000 points, no spend requirement, which I accepted (now waiting for the points to post). For context, I got the card in October 2021 and have not received any other retention offers.

Was this on personal plat? Did you just ask outright if there are any retentions offers?

FazzyBear 24 posts

On my Business Gold (since 2019) via Live Chat.

Said I would like to cancel my Business Gold – gave reasons and then retention team offered me £125 statement credit.

Said it was a rubbish offer and that my mate (made up) got offered double points for every £1 spent…30 seconds late got offered the same deal.

Not bad as I have comfortably spent over £100k in the last 6 months on the card

wsy 13 posts

Was this on personal plat? Did you just ask outright if there are any retentions offers?

Personal plat! I didn’t ask about retention, just said I wanted to know what the options for downgrading were if I didn’t want to keep paying the fee. They then referred me to a different team who offered me the points.

jtnonny 4 posts

I was given 50k MR points after using the chat function. Mentioned i was thinking about leaving, agent asked if i wanted to hear about all the benefits. I said no, what will you give me to stay. Offered 50k or monthly fee split.

LondonFly 84 posts

Have you been offered retention offers whilst recently using the card or not having used the card for some time?

I have not been using the card for purchasing recently and was wondering how might that affect a retention offer?

Thank you

Harrods 120 posts

I upgrade my green to platinum on monthly fee and no retention offer..been 3 months +

Shaw West 10 posts

No retention or bonus for OH. 4 years , retention offer in September 2021

Graham-Walsh 61 posts

35k on chat today for being a member since 2005!!

squawk7700 82 posts

We’re going to call to cancel my wife’s personal plat as she’s just referred me under the current 65K offer. Out of interest, if they do offer her a number of MR to stay, do they normally come tied to a particular timeframe? Or can she keep the retention points and still cancel in a few weeks time?

Don’t want to be getting in the Amex bad books but equally we’ve been customers for 10+ years and never even thought to ask for a retention offer. Not to mention the customer service has been particularly lousy recently.

Carlos 758 posts

OH not offered any retention offers, held gold card for 6 months, £11k/£15k of anniversary bonus hit.

Any idea on when the first retention offer is likely to be given?

Harrier25 848 posts

I received a 20,000 MR retention bonus on my Gold card a few weeks ago. £15,000 spend hit last month and first year comes to an end on the 3rd June. I spoke to the Retentions Team in Brighton.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.