Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Payment cards Other payment cards The British Airways Prepaid Mastercard thread

• Alex 46 posts

Do you recall/have a record of your application date per chance?

Not sure about the application date, my first spend was 23.07.2022 as I see

SteveJ 979 posts

Thanks, my application was 12/7 and hit spend target on 2/8. No bonus yet, expect it to land at the 3 month from application stage, 12/10.

chrism20 89 posts

I’ve had a bizarre one tonight and the first issue I’ve had with the card.

Made a purchase online to Boots on 23rd Sep then tonight I’ve had a push notification saying that the transaction has been refunded and the points removed from the account.

Checked the app and the points have been removed, however no refund has been applied to the account and I haven’t returned any of the products to Boots.

the_real_a 9 posts

Recently lodged a complaint about the cash advance fee debacle. Has anyone had a constructive response and refund yet?

chrism20 89 posts

Got round to calling about my refund that wasn’t a refund.

After much umming and ahhhing it’s apparently been logged and someone will get back to within ten days.

They said that the points would be recredited and laughed when I said I’m not interested in the 17 points and if it’s been refunded I want the £34.

They clearly know there is an issue

username 9 posts

Recently lodged a complaint about the cash advance fee debacle. Has anyone had a constructive response and refund yet?

This just popped up on my list of transactions in the app. Never bothered contacting them about it:

“Oct 2022 Card Fees Reversed; Cash Advance Fee Reversal Reversed” £XX.XX

lambshank13 53 posts

For anyone who was unlawfully charged mysterious “cash fees” which were not mentioned in the terms, I’ve just had these refunded after taking my complaint to the ombudsman.

redethernet1 89 posts

For anyone who was unlawfully charged mysterious “cash fees” which were not mentioned in the terms, I’ve just had these refunded after taking my complaint to the ombudsman.

Wasnt there a long wait (6m) to go via the financial ombudsman?

Harrier25 852 posts

Wasnt there a long wait (6m) to go via the financial ombudsman?

6 months would be super fast for the FOS and unheard of!!

The Urbanite 118 posts

This has to be one of the more comedic chapters in the payment card game.

Cash advance fees on a prepaid card?

Missing transactions?

Sudden changes to T&Cs without warning?

It makes no sense why the card is being run like this, especially as PFS are not exactly spring chickens where it comes to running cards.

stevenhp1987 331 posts

The Avios audit team agreed to give me a refund (happened yesterday).

The email with the formal complaint never responded and it’s been over 8 weeks… If the refund never came through I would have gone to FOS I guess…

TedL 41 posts

I am trying to pay a bill at a website that only accepts debit cards, uses Sage Pay, I select Mastercard and enter the card details but it comes back with “The card type selected does not match card number”. Should I be able to use this card like a normal debit card?

robkeane 78 posts

Where did they change the terms and conditions ?

The Urbanite 118 posts

Where did they change the terms and conditions ?

The fees and limits form part of the T&Cs. The spending limit was cut without warning, as were the fees imposed for “cash advances”.

andiron 66 posts

I’ve spent £500 on 21st July, still nothing. I’ll wait till 24th October and then will contact them.

robkeane 78 posts

The fees and limits form part of the T&Cs. The spending limit was cut without warning, as were the fees imposed for “cash advances”.

THe T&C have remained unchanged regarding cash advances, there has never been a fee mentioned in the T&C for cash-like transactions, and that remains the case. The fact that they were implementing a fee that is not in the T&C is the issue, not that they changed the T&C

In relation to the spending limit, do you have a copy of the T&C where the spending limit was not mentioned ?

SteveJ 979 posts

I’ve spent £500 on 21st July, still nothing. I’ll wait till 24th October and then will contact them.

I’m betting on it being 3 months from application date, so you should see it sooner than 1st transaction date +3m

Ash 621 posts

Is this a good card to use in the US? I also do have curve metal to use with virgin cc and basic Barclaycard avios…the virgin i know doesnt have free fx for USD…not sure about the Barclaycard avios.

Dudulle 47 posts

It seems they might be refunding the cash advance fees for everyone. I just noticed a refund dated October 6th in the app.
    Didn’t even complain about it yet as it was a very small amount.

Paul B 224 posts

I’m approaching 3+ months, no sign of the 3,000 points and from experience happy to cancel vs chase them up. What’s the best way to do so?

Marc 43 posts

Just had the 1500 Avios posted. Missing the other 1500 though… definitely used the HFP promo code during sign up… Why am I not surprised? 😀

As a data point: Signed up within the first week after the HFP article and the transaction that got me to the £500 mark was done on 22 September.

@Rob
    : Any insights if the HFP bonus will post separately or if I should chase them?

ToffeeTom 34 posts

Just had the 1500 Avios posted. Missing the other 1500 though… definitely used the HFP promo code during sign up… Why am I not surprised? 😀

As a data point: Signed up within the first week after the HFP article and the transaction that got me to the £500 mark was done on 22 September.

@Rob
    : Any insights if the HFP bonus will post separately or if I should chase them?

Yes, same here, 1500 Avios posted overnight (exactly 90 days after registering my card) but not the bonus 1500.

Alex G 435 posts

Anyone else having trouble using the card on line today? I tried to carry out a transaction that required a OTP to be texted to my phone. Nothing came through. Tried several times before giving up.

Gosia44 62 posts

I have also received just the standard 1500 avios, not the 3000 promised for using the HfP promo code. Called BA and was informed that Mastercard did not apply the additional bonus (double bonus) for using the promotion and there was nothing they could do as the card is managed by Mastercard, not BA. The suggested picking it up directly with Mastercard. This is frankly a joke!

Will 15 posts

Exact same as those above – hopefully HfP can get involved?

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.