Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Payment cards Other payment cards The British Airways Prepaid Mastercard thread

• Paul B 224 posts

Have just cancelled this via the tel# above, seemed almost too easy after a 2-3 min hold. Is there anyway to see if this has been correctly actioned, does it show as cancelled within the app?

EdForPoints 8 posts

Over 90 days post-registration here, and no bonus points received at all.

Did anyone get a notification when they hit the £500 spend? I didn’t.

Gosia44 62 posts

So after 3 working days since closing, the card has finally disappeared from the app. It is now showing that I can apply again (surely not).
    Re notifications – no notifications ever displayed for me. I calculated the £500 myself to ensure the correct amount was spent. Remaining balance on closing was £0.68 which I asked to be donated to BA charities..

Gottskalksson 20 posts

Have any of you had issues with some TfL transactions showing as ‘pending’ for months?

Paul B 224 posts

Called to close on 02031460748. 40 min on hold and then a basic conversation to confirm my details. No email confirmation of the card closure. Checked the app and the card looks still active. Maybe they need 24-48h to close it. Has anyone managed to see the card removed from the app or otherwise shown as closed?

About after a week, I get an error trying to see the card telling me the card is either inactive or hasn’t been issued. So it takes time.

Great, will check back for that in around a weeks time for confirmation (before deleting the app)

EdForPoints 8 posts

Have any of you had issues with some TfL transactions showing as ‘pending’ for months?

Not months for me but weeks certainly. There were a good three weeks where even the pending transactions disappeared and it looked like I’d just got a few days’ travel for free. There was then a big lump sum deduction, but I still couldn’t manage to reconcile it with the statement on the TfL website. I think I was up by a small amount so I gave up trying!

chrism20 89 posts

Lothian Buses up here in Edinburgh is like this. I’ve got four transactions showing for the nominal 10p that they take when you first tap for the day that have been showing for up to three months.

Must be something with the card as my VM debit card takes the correct amount the following day.

allycat 6 posts

1500 Avios and 1500 Bonus Avios via HfP arrived on Friday, bang on 90 days after card activation. No problems during the life of the card, top up was easy and spending easy. Was able to bring it down to a £0.00 balance by topping up just the right pounds and pennies amount for an online purchase that I was going to do so no worries about a residual balance. Account now closed after a 30-40 minute wait on the phone number 0203 1460748 as quoted above. No questions as to why I wanted it cancelled, just needed my BAEC details, not even the prepaid card number itself. Double checked they were closing the pre-paid mastercard not the BAEC account, and he confirmed that was correct. Just player 2 to sort out in a few weeks hopefully.

SteveJ 979 posts

Same experience as many. 1500 x2 posted 90 days from activation. £0 remaining balance.

Called the number on the back of the card (02031460748) 8:15 this morning and through the queue and cancelled within 4 minutes of dialling the number.

Killed the app (android), reloaded and when clicking the MasterCard tab am now shown an “apply now” page.

Barraclough 61 posts

I’ve noticed quite a few posters close the card immediately they receive their 1500 + 1500 Avios despite the card being free for the first 6 months. I got my points a few weeks ago but decided to keep it open until just short of 6 months in case any goodies are offered to persuade us to retain it for a while longer, even though it costs £2.99 a month after the 6 month free period. Perhaps nothing will be offered but unless I’m missing something it seems no harm hanging on until the 6-month period is just about up.

FarAway 33 posts

It has been more than 90 days now since activation and miles are nowhere to be seen. Chat agents cannot do much and they even said that it might taken another 90 days for points to appear! Is there an e-mail address that can be used to chase them or any other hints you can share?

pbcold 347 posts

Cancelling the card took 15 minutes this morning which was a pleasant surprise.

pbcold 347 posts

The card has immediately disappeared from the app.

Alex 46 posts

Avios are not anymore awarded for NS&I transactions with this card. As expected perhaps.

ed_fly 213 posts

I’ve received 1,500 Avios on Monday, but not the 2nd 1,500. Anyone else in this situation? And has anyone managed to get BA to manually award the additional 1,500?

ringingup 179 posts

My partner has loaded the card with £2k to pay for an online purchase, but I have advised him against it as it’s best to pay by credit card.

Is there any creating way of extracting some cash back from the card, aside from cash withdrawals? We’ll probably still want to spend £500 for the bonus.

JL 1 post

I’ve received 1,500 Avios on Monday, but not the 2nd 1,500. Anyone else in this situation? And has anyone managed to get BA to manually award the additional 1,500?

I’m in this situation too, haven’t gotten round to contacting BA yet

Marc 43 posts

My partner has loaded the card with £2k to pay for an online purchase, but I have advised him against it as it’s best to pay by credit card.

Is there any creating way of extracting some cash back from the card, aside from cash withdrawals? We’ll probably still want to spend £500 for the bonus.

Would probably just try to call 02031460748 and ask for a refund of £1.5k to the debit card used.

Mikee 21 posts

Was about to hang up after 2hrs and 2 mins on hold but then the magical ring tone appeared…account closed in about 2 mins. The agent said they have been having high call volumes and she didn’t know why…..probably HfP’ers receiving their bonuses and closing their accounts en masse 🙂
    I did sign-up to User Testing in order to feed back my experiences with the card but the invite to the survey I received never worked.
    Free points in the bag for relatively little effort.

ringingup 179 posts

Partner made the mistake of using Curve… should we expect a 2% charge?

ringingup 179 posts

Would probably just try to call 02031460748 and ask for a refund of £1.5k to the debit card used.

Isn’t there a £5 charge for this though? Would paying me via Paypal be an option? I know Amex doesn’t like it, but is there any downside or risk in this case?

ed_fly 213 posts

I’m in this situation too, haven’t gotten round to contacting BA yet

thanks glad to know that I’m not alone. I can’t say I’m overly motivated to call BA for 1,500 Avios. Not worth the time and effort

FarAway 33 posts

Is there an e-mail address that can be used in order to chase for these 1500+1500 points, as chat and phone agents are not able to help? It has been well over 90 days now.

Lemeng 3 posts

I have had the card for about 110 days and reached the £500 spend around 1 September. No bonus Avios appeared so I called PFS today. A polite agent said that the bonus wouldn’t be posted until 90 days after reaching the target spend – a different story to many of those above. There doesn’t seem to be a consistent position. I’ve now tried chasing it via chat in the BA rewards app. Let’s see what happens…

Shaba 12 posts

Isn’t there a £5 charge for this though? Would paying me via Paypal be an option? I know Amex doesn’t like it, but is there any downside or risk in this case?

The PayPal option works – I used it to zero my balance. No additional charges, it counts toward the spent count and awards Avios when you do it. I did around £400 in a self funded PayPal transfer to get the funds off the card and just received my 3k Avios bonus this morning

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.