Amex / Foursquare – iPads, laptops, prams, fridges etc available at half-price via ‘Debenhams Plus’

Last week I outlined the new Foursquare opportunities available at Debenhams and Fenwick / BentallsFor each American Express card you own, including supplementary cards, you can buy a £50 gift card for £25.

After I’d written the post, I spotted ‘Debenhams Plus’.  I mentioned it in the comments, but a lot of people will have missed it, especially those who rely on the email and RSS feeds.  I therefore wanted to give it additional prominence.

Debenhams Plus‘ – click the link to visit the site – is a sort of mini Tesco Direct, specialising in electrical items.  In particular, they carry the full range of ipads and quite a few laptop computers.  There are also washing machines, TV’s, accessories, cookers, fridges, tumble dryers, printers, e-readers and a huge amount of childcare stuff (prams, cots etc).

Debenhams

Now, here is the clever bit.

Debenhams gift cards can be used to pay for items bought at Debenhams Plus.  The only snag is that you have to ring up to place your order, rather than buy online.

The upside, though, is that the rule that applies to the Debenhams website – that you must pay your whole bill with a gift card – does not apply here.  You can pay partially with a gift card and partially with a credit card.

This opens up some great opportunities, such as (depending on how many Amex cards you hold) half price iPads.

New Lufthansa business class sale launched
A pretty video of Austrian Airlines new business class!

Double Rewards
AMEX Gold 20,000 bonus points

Comments

1. thx, So I have to load the offer onto the card from a store. But then I can use the card to spend online.
    I don’t see how the Amex link works though. I could have bought the giftcard with any card or cash.

• It is Amex that give you the £25 rebate for spending £50 on your Amex card. Debenhams don’t give you a refund in store.

The idea is to buy £50 Debenhams gift card(s) from Debenhams, using your Amex card. You will pay £50 there and then. If the offer is loaded correctly as mentioned previously, when the £50 hits your Amex card statement a couple of days later, it will automatically refund you with £25, another couple of days later.

This can only be done once per card, so talk on this post is referring to using multiple Amex cards to buy multiple £50 gift cards which in turn will give you multiple £25 rebates on your Amex statement(s).

Rich

2. Got it, thanks for your patience. I’m usually quite good at this sort of thing but this one had me baffled.

3. James67 says:

Thanks to all for helpfull responses. Good news though, myrefunds have now posted, it justook couple of days more than previously. So still 100% for 4sq promos.

4. Craig Shaw says:

Has anyone tried this at a Debenhams Travel Money counter? Or does anyone know why this wouldnt work? (And I’m aware i’d incur a charge from Amex for using a credit card)

• Trevor says:

Hope I’m not too late to save ya bacon… If you use your Amex at the travel money counter, it’ll go through as a cash transaction, not a purchase, and you are therefore very unlikely to get the refund (if you check the sync websites T&C’s, it might even say as much). I thought of trying this route at both Harrod’s and HoF, but realised that using the card itself would incur the cash charge and wouldn’t work, and having enquired about use of giftcards, neither store would accept them at the travel money counters as that’s effectively a “refund” and they don’t allow refunds on gift cards 🙁

5. Colin A-B says:

To make creating alternative 4SQ accounts easier you might find using gmail (if not already using) will help. This is because you can append your normal gmail address & any email connected with it will still end up in your main gmail inbox.

eg: say my email address is [email protected] – For my Virgin Amex card I’ve synced I used the email address [email protected] & for my Starwood Preferred Guest Amex card I’ve used [email protected] to register. Basically you can put anything after the name of your email, as long as it’s prefixed with +.

I hope this has made sense & helps someone a little – certainly makes it easier for me when I’m switching between 4SQ accounts to checkin.

6. Sam Wardill says:

I have had issues with two refunds from house of Fraser and gap on one card (the other two cards worked ok in same stores). I raised it with the foursquare Amex customer service. Their response was “The last four digits of the card that you made the purchase on (1008) does not match the last four digits of the card that the offer was loaded to (1003 & 2016). In order to receive credit for the offer, the purchase needs to be made on the card to which the offer is loaded.”

It should not be true that the offer was loaded to (1003 & 2016). The most recent card synced was my platinum card ending 1008 and I received confirmation that it was synced. The offer terms and conditions state that “You may only have one Synced Card per each of Foursquare, Facebook and/or Twitter account”. Therefore there is no way that the offer could be loaded to both the cards ending 1003 & 2016.

I’ve raised this as a complaint with Amex customer service. I’ll take it as far as I can (to the ombudsman if I need to).

Anybody else had any similar issues?

• Yep same issue and same response. They say its my old plat that’s synced. However I definitely removed that and added my BA PP but annoyingly I can’t find confirmation emails to that effect….

7. Yep same issue and same response. They say its my old plat that’s synced. However I definitely removed that and added my BA PP but annoyingly I can’t find confirmation emails to that effect….

8. Koshka says:

Slight issue at Fenwick’s in New Bond Street today. You can only buy the gift cards from the Customer Service counter on the 3rd floor. The person serving me explained that when the offer first appeared they called security in as they thought that the sudden flurry of similar transactions must be fraudulent. This was the first time that I was asked whether all of the cards were in my name and they wouldn’t let me use my wife’s card as part of the gift card purchase. Went downstairs and made a purchase in the Carluccio’s shop instead as this still registers as a Fenwick’s transaction. The lack of expensive wines remaining on the shelves suggests that I’m not the first person to do this.

9. Trevor says:

Very grateful for the DebenhamsPlus tip. Tired of these offers at various clothing stores, though have tried to buy other items where possible (like wine/whisky at HoF etc) and still have my Harrod’s vouchers where I will most likely buy a laptop. This is definitely in a league of its own though with far more choice. And today I have ordered some techy stuff!!!