(EDIT: This post discusses Big Win 1 from Autumn 2013. Big Win 2 (Spring 2014) is discussed here.)
IHG Rewards Club – the Holiday Inn, HI Express, Crowne Plaza, InterContinental etc group – is launching its new promotion on Monday. It will run from September 1st to December 31st.
“The Big Win” will offer a different set of deals to every member, so it is difficult to write in too much detail at the moment. However, every member will be offered at least 50,000 bonus points or 10,000 airline miles.
The registration website went live early for a period on Friday but then seems to have disappeared again – the official launch date is Monday.
However, View From The Wing was able to register on Friday. Gary got offered the following:
- Try one and done – 1000 points for my first stay
- Stay more and earn more – 7400 points for 7 nights
- Explore our brands – 12000 points for staying at 2 brands
- Book with us – 2400 points for making 2 bookings through an IHG website or mobile device
- Survey the win – 100 points for taking a survey
- Live the city life – 8400 points for 3 stays at participating hotels in Sao Paolo, Vancouver, Montreal, Chicago, Denver, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Seattle, Washington DC, and Mexico City
- Win in a weekend – 4800 points for 2 Saturday night stays
- Win big – 38000 more points for completing all of the above
If you assume that you got the same – which you won’t – you could pick up the grand total of 71,000 bonus points for staying 7 nights. However, these seven nights would need to include two different brands, include 3 hotels at the cities featured, and include 2 Saturday nights!
There MAY be an opportunity to ‘mattress run’ here. This is especially true of the dead period between Christmas and New Year, when you can often pick up a hotel room for peanuts.
It is also not clear if reward nights will count towards the total, given that you now earn elite stay credit on reward nights. If they did, you could book some PointBreaks nights at 5,000 points and use those to qualify for the bonus!
I will see what I get when the IHG website kicks back into life, and then decide if this is a game worth playing. My confirmed IHG bookings between now and 31st December are a grand total of 1 night, on a Friday ….
(To see our complete list of all current hotel promotions for the major chains, click here to visit our ‘Hotel Promos’ page or use the link in the menu bar at the top of the page.)