Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

New US Avios options from MAN / EDI / GLA in 2014 with US Airways

I wrote last week about the US Government approval for the merger of US Airways and American Airlines.  As part of the merger, US Airways will resign from Star Alliance on 30th March 2014 and join BA and American Airlines in the oneworld alliance on 31st March.

From this date, you will be able to book US Airways flights using Avios.

US Airways

To be honest, I wasn’t aware of the extent of the US Airways network from the UK.  However, it is surprisingly broad and will open up some interesting options from next year.

These are routes currently flown by US Airways from the UK:

London to Charlotte

London to Philadelphia

Manchester to Charlotte (starts May 2014)

Manchester to Philadelphia

Edinburgh to Philadelphia (starts May 2014)

Glasgow to Philadelphia

Dublin (I know its not UK!) to Philadelphia

Dublin (ditto) to Charlotte (seasonal)

Shannon (ditto) to Philadelphia (seasonal)

Now, you may never have wanted to go to Philadelphia.  However, US Airways has a major hub in Philadelphia, and can connect you from there to pretty much anywhere else you want to go.

Don’t forget that American Airlines also offers regional services to the US:

Manchester to New York

Dublin to New York

Dublin to Chicago

None of this makes up for British Airways failing to offer regional long-haul departures, of course, but the US / American merger will definitely lead to an improvement in the Avios offering for those outside the South East.

Comments (27)

• aceman says:

I’m guessing the PHL-LAS route will be one favoured by those wishing to maximise their TP earnings (currently about £500 return for one assumes 420tp), CLT falls just short of 2k miles. Economy US is OK, individual screens, not a huge amount of space, but bearable to PHL/CLT. Connections from both were pretty decent. Another thing I remember from way back (so not sure if its remained constant) is that there didn’t seem to be a large surcharge for one way fares, which is always handy.

• feenster says:

not forgetting DUB departures also!! Just thinking the taxes may be much lower.

• PHL has one of the most over-efficient immigration services I have ever seen. 1 in 2 people on my flight from LHR were sent to secondary inspection. I won’t go back.
    Along with Detroit and Minneapolis, I avoid places I have had bad immigration experiences.

• James67 says:

It is due to drama like this I have only been to USA once since 2005. Cannot stand the endless hassle anymore

• onlysuites says:

I wonder if Avios will impose YQ’s as US has been one airline for years that does not impose any.

• Henry says:

How does one book a ticket with avios points with airlines in the one world alliance? I’m a newbie, so please go easy.

Do I just log onto BA Exec Club club site and search flights through there? Will it display all one world partners?

• Rob says:

Yes, its that easy. They will show automatically on ba.com alongside BA flights.

However, you can often benefit by digging down deeper. Ba.com for eg will only show flights with close connections. If you search, say, London to Hawaii it may show nothing. However, it is possible that you could, say, do London to Dallas on American, stay over for 24 hours and then catch a connection to Hawaii. In such cases, it is worth looking for availability leg by leg and then trying to knit something together yourself.

• Arno says:

I have flown US to Halifax (canada) via Philly (From Manchester). It was economie and it was actually ok. It was an A330 so it was a 2-4-2 layout. I survived and it was ok. Worse bit was a 7 hour stop over in Philly on the way out.