Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

New Amex / Foursquare deals – Tesco, Zizzi, Pizza Express, Argos, Ask, Primark!

American Express has launched some new Foursquare deals after a long hiatus.

This promotion offers you £5 statement credit when spend £10 at Tesco.  You will also receive £10 back when you spend £30 at Pizza Express, Primark, Zizzi, Ask and Argos.

You must register your British Airways, Lloyds Avios, Starwood Preferred Guest, Gold, Platinum, bmi, American Airlines, Emirates or indeed any other American Express card with Foursquare.

Unlike recent Amex cashback deals, this one does not seem to be available via the American Express website.  You need to register with Foursquare.  If you have never done this before then the instructions are below.

Supplementary cards count as separate cards (unless the supplementary cards have the same number as the main card, which often happens with MBNA) – so you may have more qualifying Amex cards than you think.

These deals are limited to between 5,000 and 15,000 cards.  I expect this target to be hit quickly given that you can register multiple cards.

Once registered, you have until 31st July to make the required spend on the card.  One trick from last time to remember is that Argos sells a lot of gift cards for other stores – this effectively makes the ‘save £10 on £30’ available at a lot of additional retailers!

You can register all of your Amex cards as long as you create a separate Foursquare account – with a separate email address – for each one.

Foursquare

How to sync your Amex card to your Foursquare card

If you are new to this sort of deal, this is how you sync your Amex card to your Foursquare card:

Download the Foursquare app onto your ipad, iphone, Android device or whatever you carry!  (A wi-fi only ipad or ipod touch will also work OK)

Sign up.  Make a careful note of the email address you use.  Ignore all the screens about linking your Facebook etc accounts.

Sync your MBNA, Lloyds or Amex-issued Amex card with the Foursquare account by going to this website.  You must use the same email address as in 1.

Go back to Foursquare and search for a random Tesco, Pizza Express etc.  Most stores will show the offer – if they don’t, search for another outlet.  You need to click on the text for the offer and you will see a special box flick up. Click ‘Load to Card’ and the offer is set up directly with Amex.

Repeat for each Amex card you have, with a new Foursquare account. It would be sensible to make a note of which Amex card and email address links to each account.

There is nothing to show in the shop when you make your purchases. The shop will never even know you are taking part in the promotion.

3-4 days after the relevant shop purchase hits your credit card, a cash credit will be placed on your Amex account.  For Amex-issued Amex cards, you should also receive a confirmation email within a few minutes of making your purchase.

Comments (157)

• Caroline says:

This is probably a daft question but I’ll ask anyway.

Re Tesco, is this a one-off £5 credit?

Or do you get £5 back everytime you spend £10?

• Roger Carpenter says:

Has Tesco run out? I’ve synced and brought up the page for my local Tesco – the offer appears, but nothing I click on brings up an Add to Card option….

• Rob says:

Are you doing this in the app or a PC? Try the app if not, then try a new store – makes no difference.

• littlefish says:

Might as well be in Chinese! No idea what this is all about. Got an e-mail too … none the wiser.
    Now the Amex website opt-in offers, I can grasp. Simples 🙂

Looks like I’m about two “demographics” away from this target market.

• Jo says:

Thanks for letting us know! I’d begun to think there would be no more Foursquare/Amex deals! Luckily my new card just arrived and I thought I’d check!

Does anyone know if the Tesco deal can be used at their filling stations?

• Trevor says:

My gut feel is no but… No harm in trying if you are filling up anyway. If you dont get the credit then go shopping!

• David says:

Which gift cards do they sell in Argos? Any grocery ones?

• Andrew says:

Hi – does anyone know if this deal is still working? I followed the steps above, registering 2 amex cards and clicking on the relevant deal for both – then used both cards for purchases in Tesco yesterday, but have had no email from Amex ??

• TimS says:

I didn’t get any emails from Alex afterwards either but both cards have worked.

I got an in-app notification each time that the credit has been applied.

• Rob says:

Were they Amex Amex or MBNA ? Don’t get emails on MBNA. In any event Amex will manually credit you if it does not post.

• Andrew says:

They were Amex Amex (ie 1 x BA card and 1 x Gold card)…. If I haven’t received an email does that imply the deal didn’t go through, and should I call customer services to get it credited?
        Thanks!

• Alan says:

I’ve previously tended not to receive emails for Foursquare offers, only for the ones loaded to the Amex card from their website. I did normally have an in-app notification though, did you get one of them? Even if not I found it still generally went through – if for some reason it didn’t Amex are very good at paying up anyway!

• Andrew says:

Got the credit showing in my account today – perfect!

• Jason says:

Me too, no email to confirm, had synced 6 cards to 2 accounts.
            Time to buy some gift cards with the other 4!

• idrive says:

got some bonuses from Tesco on MBNA/AMEX even with no email conf.

next round Argos!

• Rob says:

It does seem no emails are going out, I did 2 x Tesco over the weekend. Confirmations do appear in FS though.

I also did an Argos online last night and the £10 is showing as confirmed on FS.

• Trevor says:

I was quick to register (well, ok, it was all a slow process) for all the promotions and load them to my cards. I’ve already run all through Tesco, but only 3 through Argos. Since I very seldom shop at Argos, I got 2 x £15 M&S vouchers at the stark and clinical Chancery Lane branch. The only other offering in the gift card line there was App Store. Yesterday I went to the Wimbledon branch and picked up £60 worth of gift cards across 2 Amex cards. Here’s a pic of what they offer for anyone who, like me, doens’t have much interested in Argos itself: http://tinyurl.com/pq2mwgn

• Rob says:

Thanks for that. M&S gift cards I can use – we probably do £30/week on food there – so I might get my cards registered and hop off at Chancery Lane on the way into the City.

Did £10 in Tesco this afternoon purely to trigger the £5. Inside a box of strawberries was THE most rotten piece of fruit I have ever bought, ever! This particular strawberry was also in the one place in the box where it could not be seen from outside, which was either a coincidence or someone put it there knowing the label would cover it and it wouldn’t be visible from the sides.

Might stick to postage stamps at Tesco for my other 5 Amex cards!

• Pat Bucher says:

Ha! That sounds familiar. I have given up buying bags of apples from tesco because there was always at least one manky one and it was always where you couldnt see it cos of the packaging. Think it is tesco policy tbh.

• Alan says:

Just had my strawberries refunded from my Tesco online order (1500 bonus points points offer worked nicely BTW!) because of just this issue.

• Simon says:

I just got 8 £50 Visa gift cards with the £3.95 fee at Argos in the end, looks like they only have the £25 ones in the Argos where you took the pic.

• Isolde says:

For those that were wondering if Tesco fuel filling stations trigger the refund – they do. Just seen a £5 credit on my account.