Bits: BA credit card surcharge gone, Hertz sale, Etihad sale, Charles Tyrwhitt bonus

News in brief:

The BA credit card booking fee has gone

If you book a British Airways flight today, you should notice that the 1% credit card and Paypal fee has disappeared.  It was removed last night (in theory, I am typing this earlier).

By law, BA had to remove these at close of business on the 12th.  I am guessing it has acted early to avoid any problems if there are delays in ticketing.

Fees have also been removed in Finland.  They will remain for transactions made in Switzerland as it is not part of the European Economic Area.  No other European countries had booking fees.

BA Amex credit card

Hertz is 100!

Hertz is 100 years old in 2018.  As part of the events surrounding this, it is offering 20% off 2+ day rentals booked via this special link.

You need to book by 22nd January and pick up by 23rd March.

In terms of earning miles, remember that Virgin Atlantic offers 1,000 Flying Club miles on most Hertz rentalsThis page of the Virgin site explains more.

Etihad sale now on

Etihad has never been as aggressive in its pricing as Qatar Airways, probably because it has fewer departures out of London each day and so fewer seats to fill.

The current Etihad sale runs until 13th JanuaryFull details can be found here.

Some readers will have a ‘save £100 on an £800 Etihad purchase’ as an offer on one of their American Express cards.  This will work on sale fares.

You must travel outbound by 30th September and back by 15th October.  Business Class deals include:

• Edinburgh – Singapore £1594
  • Edinburgh – Ahmedabad £1866
  • Edinburgh – Bangkok £1643
  • Edinburgh – Colombo £1689
  • Edinburgh – Hong Kong £1776
  • Edinburgh – Seoul £1863
  • London  – Bangkok £1789
  • London – Dubai £1500
  • London – Kathmandu £1928
  • London – New Delhi £1662
  • London – Shanghai £2134
  • Manchester – Chennai £1939
  • Manchester – Mumbai £1742

You can find more details here.

Charles Tyrwhitt discount plus double Avios

Shirt company – and Avios partner – Charles Tyrwhitt is offering a discount on purchases from now until the end of the month.

Enter code BUTTONUK on the website and you will save:

• £5 off a £50 spend
  • £10 off a £75 spend
  • £15 off a £100 spend

Tyrwhitt is also offering double Avios on all purchases before 31st January, meaning that you will receive 8 Avios per £1 spentYou can order via their site here.

Good (Avios and tier point earning) Business Class bargains in the Qatar Airways sale
LAST DAY: Win two flights to New York - and YOU pick the airline!

Comments

1. Cuchlainn says:

OT – TESCO PREMIER MC :
    Just received offer of 5,000 CCpoints to sign up via special link. Read full T&Cs and this is in addition to 5,000 CC points after you spend £5K pa – all other benefits and fees are same.

Is this worth a punt with extra 5,000 CC points now, as could easily put £5K diesel and groceries through pa ?

• If you use the 5000 Clubcard points for uber credit you’re getting £150 worth of value which would cover the annual fee for the first year

• I’ve had a few emails about this. My view – as the Uber credit equals the fee, do it for a year (especially if you can use the travel insurance and you haven’t got a grandfathered Visa or MC offering a better deal).

Personally … I wouldn’t. I have travel insurance, I don’t spend £5k in Tesco and I have grandfathered Visa and MasterCard products which get me a better return than 0.6 Avios per £1. Even with the £150 fee being offset by £150 of Uber credit it simply isn’t worth padding out my credit card pile.

• Cuchlainn says:

Thanks Lumma but Uber is a non starter for me practically.

Rob,
          See where you’re coming from but 5,000 points ( initial link offer ) + 5,000 points ( 1 point for £5K spend on daily shop / fuel ) + bonus of 5,000 points for spending £5k = 15,000 CC points, which converts to 60 x £2.50 Avios / BAEC vouchers = 36,000 Avios.

Yes it costs me £5k plus £150 fee to get 36,000 but I need to get food on the table and diesel in the car but that gives me a 2 x pax return DUB to ACE ( 34,000 Avios ) for approx £150 tax ????????

• Note the Tesco debit card (free) also offers 1 pt per £1 in Tesco.

• Cuchlainn says:

But debit card has no bonuses : 5,000 x 2 ( if you get Tesco link sent by them ).

2. Hi, can anybody help with O/T question re Deep South USA road trip I’d like to plan. I’m considering using my BA 2-4-1 and flying into either Atlanta or New Orleans to start the trip. Will cover something like New Orleans, Memphis, Nashville, Atlanta, Savannah (possibly), Pensacola over 10 days.

Not ever having been to either of these New Orleans or Atlanta airports before, I was wondering if one is a better airport to fly into and out of, to start and finish our trip. e.g. Are the lounge facilities better at one of these airports, does BA have a larger presence at one of these airports. So many options and just trying to make sure I choose the best.

• We’ve done all those places in the past two years but across 2 different holidays – they are doable. You just need to,do your research and work out driving times between each place and work out what you want to see. We flew in to Atlanta this year but back from Washtington. Last year we flew back from Houston as BA didn’t fly to NO then. Lounge access is not the deciding factor for us about where we fly and out of. In Washington we had a Priorty Pass and couldn’t get in to 2 lounges as it wasn’t available to PP holders at certain times. We had to wait about 45 mins to get in to the Turkish Lounge – there was a large queue of PP cardholders waiting to do the same thing so access is not always guaranteed. In Houston we got in to the Centurion Lounge with our Platinum card. Just remember you will need to pay a one way surcharge for your car rental if you are returning to a different state.

• Thank you Liz, I recall reading on this site a few of your road trips in the USA. Somewhere I took a screen print of one of them, it looked so great. There is so much more availability to fly into Atlanta, than NO and if I wanted to, I could get First class on my 2-4-1 as this class is offered to Atlanta but not NO. A circular trip would be probably best for us, so no rental car one way surcharge. Do you think 10 days is long enough to cover the type of itinerary I was planning?

• 10 days is never enough! I have just finished my research for our 2019 USA Canyon trip and I’m up at 28 days. That’s doing a round trip from Colorado, Utah, Wyoming, Idaho, Montana, S Dakota, Nebraska and back to Colorado. So much to see and never enough time. We spent a few days in Atlanta, a couple of nights in Savannah, 2 in Memphis to see Graceland etc, a few days in Nashville – the Grand Ole Oprey is so much fun, plus the Bluebird Cafe, Franklin just south of Nashville is lovely, NO needs a few days – not been to Pensacola. So much to see – so little time – can’t you go for a bit longer – get the road trip bug like us!!!!

• Scallder says:

Rob, given the driving distance, for 10 days I would suggest not doing that as a round trip. Depending on the cost of doing a one-way hire, and the distance between some of those locations, it might be worth looking at flying between some of them and doing car hire locally (although I know that adds more faff and takes away the road trip element.

We did a round trip last year that did Atlanta-Nashville-Memphis-Natchez-NO-Montgomery and we did that in 19 days. We spent 5 nights in NO and 4 in Nashville and each of those to me wasn’t enough. Nashville was amazing and I would happily go back there alone for a week (would happily live there as well!). Personally didn’t think too much of Atlanta (outside of the Civil Rights stuff), and understand you might be able to get availability in F, but perhaps look at flying into/out of Nashville with BA (albeit just in J) so cut it down a bit. To me Memphis was ok (personally didn’t do Graceland as wasn’t that fussed about it, although did catch a Grizzlies game), but the 2 nights we had there was enough.

I’d echo Liz though and if you can squeeze a few more days it would definitely be worth it. One route if you went straight from Nashville to NO takes in part of the Natchez Trace Parkway which is a beautiful road to drive and much nicer than the interstates!

• I just returned from New Years in Nola Rob. With regards the airport only, there is no lounge for BA/Priority Pass members but they do provide a $28 voucher per person if flying club or above. The number of outlets you can use it in is abysmal though. Perhaps 5 in total if you count Smoothie King and the hot dog stand.

On the flip side Nola itself is unique and certainly worth a visit.

• Nashville is brilliant! Loved it there – did a oneway car rental Nashville – Lynchburg (Jack Daniels) – Atlanta with Avis and it was very reasonable £!

This was only a 5 hour or so drive, but that was more than enough for us!

This was part of a 2-4-1 (F) to Vegas, back from Atlanta and internal flights on Avios.

3. Tom Cook says:

OT – I booked a hotel using the £200 back for £600 spend on my Amex plat 5 days ago. Got the booking details invoice etc, got the email saying I’d triggered the offer, the transaction is showing as pending. I’m in a position where I would like to potentially cancel the plat card to get back into a bit of churning. Is this kind of a delay normal, just thought I’d expect it to show on the card pretty soon after the transaction.

4. jovanna says:

Long gone. Sometimes Italy brings it down but not by much. Sometimes France too. Try WOW in the RC.

I had quite a few one-way rentals using Australia for no additional fee.

• Rubbish! Just priced for a long-weekend out of my local in Victoria – £162 for a Cat D, reduces to £99.

• You’re right Rob, certainly didn’t see that price difference when I looked last week

• WOW in the Promotion Code section on Hertz? Looking for car hire in Australia, one way seems much more expensive – any tips?

5. At 23:30 last night I used my Ukranian Amex for the last time……..

6. can these etihad fares be booked as Qantas code shares and get TP and avios?

7. O/T – for those with Lloyds Avios flight upgrade vouchers

As of today it seems that you can now book both one way flights and connections using the Avios site rather than having to call

• That’s good news, thanks for posting. If only they would now allow us to earn more than one voucher per year.

• Having played around a bit, I can’t get it to book one way, or use the voucher for connections. Looks like it’s still a work in progress!

• That’s excellent news, presumably we’ll now be able to book 2 one ways at the time they are loaded instead of having to call avios in the morning?

8. For anyone interested Kimpton hotels now bookable via ihg using reward points, don’t seam the best value but still another option at least

9. Re where to credit Hertz rentals – is the 5,000 Marriott point bonus still going? If so, do you have to use the special CDP when booking or will you get the points anyway? I ask this as I believe the Virgin offer is supposed to require using their CDP but you seem to get it anyway.

10. Re. the BA credit card booking fee – I booked a flight late last night (Jan 10) and it was indeed showing no fees for most credit cards. HOWEVER – it is now listing separate charges for CORPORATE credit cards. My colleague and I have read what we can find on the new legislation and can’t find a distinction relating to the ‘ownership’ of the card. Any ideas??

• I believed it was just for consumers rather than businesses if that is what you meant

11. Paid for a BA flight by Curve on the 11th and was charged a fee…annoying.