Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

What we know about the new Clubcard conversion offers for British Airways and Virgin Atlantic

Tesco Clubcard points from the last collection period should now be showing online at tesco.com.

If you are thinking of where to convert, we now have an inkling of what is available in terms of incentives:

If you convert to Avios via an avios.com account, you will be entered into a competition.  Every £2.50 you convert gets you one entry.  Two people will win 50000 Avios, three people will win 25000 Avios and 150 people will win 5500 Avios.  The deadline to convert to be entered is 28th February.  Details are here.

Tesco Clubcard conversion offers

If you convert to Avios via a BA account …. we don’t know.  I am willing to bet on British Airways offering a competition of some sorts but the details may not appear for a day or so.  You may want to hold off converting until you can compare the two.

If you convert to Virgin Flying Club, there appears to be a 20% conversion bonus.  I stress ‘appears’ because – whilst people who auto-convert to Virgin seem to have had a 20% bonus applied – there is no mention yet on either the Clubcard or Virgin Atlantic websites.  I would expect full details in a few days.  Keep an eye on the Virgin / Tesco website page here.

(EDIT:  The Virgin deal is now confirmed and runs until 15th March.)

Personally ….. I am converting to Uber at the moment.  It is a ‘genuine’ 3x face value deal and our Uber spend is fairly high.  My choice is converting every £10 of vouchers into either £30 of Uber credit or 2400 Avios or 2500 Virgin miles.   This means I would be ‘paying’ 1.25p per Avios or 1.2p per Virgin mile (1p with the 20% bonus) if I took those instead and I’m not willing to pay that.

Comments (119)

• Paul says:

I’ve been looking at what to do now that I have triggered the Amex Gold 20k bonus, and whether or not I should close the card or retain it. Then I saw this link, https://www.americanexpress.com/uk/content/platinum-charge/upgrade/

Looks like you can score another 20k points by way of upgrading the gold to plat? Is this standard (I am not an expert in this area).

Bottom line – has anyone done this recently and managed to get two sets of 20k??

• Optimus Prime says:

Yes, many readers have successfully done it. It is legit, not a loophole 🙂

• Rob says:

Technically, the link is only for email who are email by Amex and invited to upgrade, which is why I do not openly push it. They don’t seem to double check though.

• mark2 says:

Yes, have just done it, but missed out on this https://www.americanexpress.com/uk/content/gold-companion/#GoldCreditCardbenefits.
      You can get a Platinim Credit after you have upgraded, but cancel gold credit first.
      So that’s another 10,000 MR.

• Paul says:

On reading the first comment, I went for it, and now I can see I have missed out on some additional points too. I will take the additional 20k though – that’s happy days 🙂

Thanks for both of your help!

• thehornets says:

Is it not 5,000?

• JamesB says:

Yes, but I think Mark means 10000 in total for taking first the gold then the platinum credit card after upgrade.

• mark2 says:

correct.
          if I still can after any changes I shall be doing Gold > Gold Credit > Platinum > Platinum Credit for 18,000 referral + 22,000 + 5,000 + 20,000 + 5,000 = 70,000 + spending 4,000.
          Fingers crossed for 10th March.

• JamesB says:

and potential to increase spending to 6000 if you can put £2000 travel spend on the gold. Same strategy here except I need to make it through 6 April. My concern is that if changes do come this month they might be many and varied.

• TGLoyalty says:

BTW cancelled my BAPP recently and was given no horror stories other than the usual “your companion voucher will disappear and not useable without your BAPP” line

• Zild says:

I converted my last two years’ worth of Clubcard points less than an hour before reading this article. D’oh!

TBH I wouldn’t be particularly swayed by the Avios competition anyway, but it will suck if the BA redemption gets a good deal now…

• JamesB says:

Highly unlikely. Possibly even a smart move to convert this quarter, given the recent clubcard changes then the odds on conversions to air miles devaluing must have increased.

• Sarah says:

Can the Uber credit via Clubcard be used in USA?

• Mikeact says:

Has anybody received theirTesco/Avios in their account yet ? Tesco are usually pretty quick but nothing in mine as yet.

• Joel says:

OT – Has anyone flown on Titan Airways that BA are using out of LGW?

Booking CE LGW – FAO and it’s operated by Titan, wondering what on board exp is like vs standard BA

• AndyGWP says:

OT – if I buy Uber credit in a different currency. Is it as simple as applying it to my Uber account, and then it will be used when I make my next trip in the country that uses the denomination that the credit is valid for?

TL;DR – can I buy a $20 Uber credit (for $10 from groupon) and it will automatically work next time I’m in the states?

• Rob says:

Should do. I have a $12 Uber credit on my account for some weird reason which I assume will get used automatically next time I am there.

• rams1981 says:

OT Marriott travel package. Has anyone had luck booking the 5 day package? If so, how did you do it?

• BLT says:

IIRC you can only redeem the 5 day travel package if you own a Marriott timeshare. In the past people have managed to get a CS rep on the phone line to allow a 5 night package , but not heard of this for quite some time.