Bits: Clubcard to Avios and Virgin transfer offers, excellent Hilton / Lufthansa Miles & More deal

News in brief:

What we know about the new Tesco Clubcard conversion offers

Tesco Clubcard points from the last collection period should now be showing online at tesco.com.

If you are thinking of where to convert, we now have an inkling of what is available in terms of incentives:

If you convert to Avios via an avios.com account, you will be entered into a competition.  Every £2.50 you convert gets you one entry.  Two people will win 50000 Avios, three people will win 25000 Avios and 150 people will win 5500 Avios.  The deadline to convert to be entered is 28th February.  Details are here.

If you convert to Avios via a BA account …. we don’t know.  I am willing to bet on British Airways offering a competition of some sorts but the details may not appear for a day or so.  You may want to hold off converting until you can compare the two.

If you convert to Virgin Flying Club, there appears to be a 20% conversion bonus.  I stress ‘appears’ because – whilst people who auto-convert to Virgin seem to have had a 20% bonus applied – there is no mention yet on either the Clubcard or Virgin Atlantic websites.  I would expect full details in a few days.  Keep an eye on the Virgin / Tesco website page here.

(EDIT:  The Virgin deal is now confirmed and runs until 15th March.)

Personally ….. I am converting to Uber at the moment.  It is a ‘genuine’ 3x face value deal and our Uber spend is fairly high.  My choice is converting every £10 of vouchers into either £30 of Uber credit or 2400 Avios or 2500 Virgin miles.   This means I would be ‘paying’ 1.25p per Avios or 1.2p per Virgin mile (1p with the 20% bonus) if I took those instead and I’m not willing to pay that.

Hilton Lufthansa promotion

Earn 2,500 Miles & More miles per Hilton stay

At the end of March, Hilton Honors will no longer let you earn airline miles from your stays.  ‘Points and Miles’ will be stopped and the only option will be taking points.   I explained it in detail in this article.

Lufthansa Miles & More is going out with a bang, however.

For stays between now and 25th March you will earn:

1,500 Miles & More miles on your first stay

2,000 Miles & More miles on your second stay

2,500 Miles & More miles on your third and subsequent stays, with no cap

You must register for this offer via this page of hilton.com.

This is a VERY generous deal.  Miles & More miles are valuable for long-haul redemptions (rubbish, admittedly, for European short-haul due to taxes).  Dubai in Business Class, for example, is 70,000 Miles & More miles from the UK, changing in Germany or Switzerland.  British Airways wants 100,000 to 120,000 Avios for the same route depending on whether it is a peak or off-peak date.

That said, I would only recommend this offer if you have an existing Miles & More account and want to add to it.  You are unlikely to earn enough from Hilton alone to get a decent redemption.

Remember that Hilton Honors is also offering a status match at the moment which may now look attractive.  Diamond needs 8 stays if you have top tier status in another hotel scheme, Gold needs 4 stays if you have mid tier status elsewhere.

A mattress run to get the required stays could make sense if tied in with this offer.  If you had a Hilton or Hampton near you that was, say, £50 at a weekend then it looks good.  You would be getting £25+ of Miles & More miles from your 3rd stay plus the base miles plus the base Hilton Honors points!  The net cost of that £50 stay suddenly looks a lot lower.  Details of the status match are in this article.

You MUST register for the Miles & More offer which you can do on the Hilton site here.  You will also need to change your Hilton account to earning ‘Points & Miles’ on your stays with Lufthansa as your preferred airline.

HFP EXCLUSIVE: Get an extra Hotels.com Rewards free night credit on your next stay
Bits: odd "Virgin miles from Virgin Trains" rule, earn SPG points with Hertz, 80% bonus buying Hilton points

Comments

1. Highland Traveller says:

OT: I have 6105 On Business Points that need to be used. I have no idea whether that is enough to for example, upgrade to CE a ET flight or anything similar? Any ideas? is there a table showing redemption rates? Thanks

2. I’ve been looking at what to do now that I have triggered the Amex Gold 20k bonus, and whether or not I should close the card or retain it. Then I saw this link, https://www.americanexpress.com/uk/content/platinum-charge/upgrade/

Looks like you can score another 20k points by way of upgrading the gold to plat? Is this standard (I am not an expert in this area).

Bottom line – has anyone done this recently and managed to get two sets of 20k??

• Optimus Prime says:

Yes, many readers have successfully done it. It is legit, not a loophole 🙂

• Technically, the link is only for email who are email by Amex and invited to upgrade, which is why I do not openly push it. They don’t seem to double check though.

• Yes, have just done it, but missed out on this https://www.americanexpress.com/uk/content/gold-companion/#GoldCreditCardbenefits.
      You can get a Platinim Credit after you have upgraded, but cancel gold credit first.
      So that’s another 10,000 MR.

• On reading the first comment, I went for it, and now I can see I have missed out on some additional points too. I will take the additional 20k though – that’s happy days 🙂

Thanks for both of your help!

• thehornets says:

Is it not 5,000?

• Yes, but I think Mark means 10000 in total for taking first the gold then the platinum credit card after upgrade.

• correct.
          if I still can after any changes I shall be doing Gold > Gold Credit > Platinum > Platinum Credit for 18,000 referral + 22,000 + 5,000 + 20,000 + 5,000 = 70,000 + spending 4,000.
          Fingers crossed for 10th March.

• and potential to increase spending to 6000 if you can put £2000 travel spend on the gold. Same strategy here except I need to make it through 6 April. My concern is that if changes do come this month they might be many and varied.

• TGLoyalty says:

BTW cancelled my BAPP recently and was given no horror stories other than the usual “your companion voucher will disappear and not useable without your BAPP” line

3. I converted my last two years’ worth of Clubcard points less than an hour before reading this article. D’oh!

TBH I wouldn’t be particularly swayed by the Avios competition anyway, but it will suck if the BA redemption gets a good deal now…

• Highly unlikely. Possibly even a smart move to convert this quarter, given the recent clubcard changes then the odds on conversions to air miles devaluing must have increased.

4. Can the Uber credit via Clubcard be used in USA?

5. Mikeact says:

Has anybody received theirTesco/Avios in their account yet ? Tesco are usually pretty quick but nothing in mine as yet.

6. OT – Has anyone flown on Titan Airways that BA are using out of LGW?

Booking CE LGW – FAO and it’s operated by Titan, wondering what on board exp is like vs standard BA

7. AndyGWP says:

OT – if I buy Uber credit in a different currency. Is it as simple as applying it to my Uber account, and then it will be used when I make my next trip in the country that uses the denomination that the credit is valid for?

TL;DR – can I buy a $20 Uber credit (for $10 from groupon) and it will automatically work next time I’m in the states?

• Should do. I have a $12 Uber credit on my account for some weird reason which I assume will get used automatically next time I am there.

8. rams1981 says:

OT Marriott travel package. Has anyone had luck booking the 5 day package? If so, how did you do it?

• IIRC you can only redeem the 5 day travel package if you own a Marriott timeshare. In the past people have managed to get a CS rep on the phone line to allow a 5 night package , but not heard of this for quite some time.

9. Question Folks.

I have my Clubcard points setup to automatically convert to BA miles each quarter. Do I still get entered in to any draws and also would I qualify for any conversion bonus’ (If there was a bonus of course!).

Just wondering if there is a benefit to converting them manually each quarter?

Apologies if this has been asked before!

Thanks

• Yes, you’re entered. The downside of auto-convert is a) a better offer (perhaps non-Avios) may turn up you prefer, such as when they added Uber and hotels.com recently, and b) if you save them, you get maximum benefit if Avios ever brings back a conversion bonus – admittedly unlikely on recent form but you never know.

Put it this way – what is the benefit of auto-convert?

• Laziness, I guess…?

I don’t spend much in Tesco – there is no convenient superstore and the Metro one near work is a bit rubbish. I just auto-convert so it fires across a handful of Avios after I hit a cumulative 250 points.

• Fair enough. If you’re looking at 250 points every now and then the convenience is worth it. If you are doing a few thousand points per quarter I would be wary. I do not auto-convert.

• Andrew Howard says:

Thanks

10. O/T: If I book a flight+hotel using BA holidays to get the flight cheaper (I’m seing more than £1000 difference) do I need to checkin in the hotel? Can I just pick the cheapest thing and don’t show up there at all?

Thanks in advance

11. Just had an email from Tesco confirming 20% bonus AND that 1000 for autoconvert is back…

“Did you know that Tesco is one of our most rewarding partners? It makes collecting miles as easy as popping to the shop for a loaf of bread. And right now, it’s even better than usual. From 1 February – 15 March 2018, you can enjoy a bonus of 20% when you convert your Tesco Clubcard vouchers into Flying Club miles.

What’s more, if you sign up to automatically turn your Clubcard vouchers into Flying Club miles, you’ll receive an extra 1,000 miles on top. You’ll be soaring towards new adventures quicker than you can say ‘weekly shop’.

Don’t miss out – make sure you spend your Clubcard vouchers with Flying Club before 15 March to enjoy lots of lovely bonus miles.”

12. Virgin 20% bonus confirmed in email
    Quote:

13. Why do you promote mattress runs – it sounds sort of unethical… you can at least mention instead (or alongside) that it is a good opportunity to organise a mini-break or visit parts of London/UK which people wouldn’t visit otherwise – it is so much more positive!

• It isn’t unethical at all! You are not exactly depriving a homless person of a bed for the night are you? If we were, say, buying food because it had bonus Clubcard points and then binning it uneaten then that would arguably be unethical.

• It is still waste of labour of cleaners and laundry etc
        But it is also an issue of limiting yourself to purely transactional behaviour which is close to cheating – another angle of ethics.
        But I don’t ask you to stop writing about mattress runs but you could at least add some positive spin to that by highlighting that this could be converted into an exploration opportunity rather than pure check-in and run-away thing…

I remember you did this for HI in Brent. Last autumn, for example, My partner and I managed to build a mini-break even around the most miserable place I ever been to (NE London, HIX Chingford or something) with exploring former Walthamstow Greyhound Racecourse, William Morris House and dining in one of the best Turkish restaurants in London.

14. This is what I just received from BA, btw:

“How would you like the chance to win a holiday to the Greek island of Kefalonia – beautiful setting for the film Captain Corelli’s Mandolin? Here’s how:

Simply turn £5 worth of Tesco Clubcard vouchers into Avios before 31 March 2018 and we’ll give you an entry into our prize draw – plus 1,200 Avios of course. If you already spend your Clubcard vouchers with British Airways Executive Club automatically, then you’ll receive two entries for every £5 of vouchers spent.

The prize includes Club Europe return flights and three nights’ accommodation for two people in a 4-star hotel. You can take your break anytime between 15 May and 31 August 2018, subject to availability. “

• Jeanine Ottman says:

I’ve looked on the Tesco.com website and the BA.com website and can see no mention of this competition at all. Am reluctant to convert my clubcard points to BA Avios in case I don’t get entered into competition – unless it’s automatic ….