Virgin Atlantic Sale

Bits: Clubcard to Avios and Virgin transfer offers, excellent Hilton / Lufthansa Miles & More deal

News in brief:

What we know about the new Tesco Clubcard conversion offers

Tesco Clubcard points from the last collection period should now be showing online at tesco.com.

If you are thinking of where to convert, we now have an inkling of what is available in terms of incentives:

If you convert to Avios via an avios.com account, you will be entered into a competition.  Every £2.50 you convert gets you one entry.  Two people will win 50000 Avios, three people will win 25000 Avios and 150 people will win 5500 Avios.  The deadline to convert to be entered is 28th February.  Details are here.

If you convert to Avios via a BA account …. we don’t know.  I am willing to bet on British Airways offering a competition of some sorts but the details may not appear for a day or so.  You may want to hold off converting until you can compare the two.

If you convert to Virgin Flying Club, there appears to be a 20% conversion bonus.  I stress ‘appears’ because – whilst people who auto-convert to Virgin seem to have had a 20% bonus applied – there is no mention yet on either the Clubcard or Virgin Atlantic websites.  I would expect full details in a few days.  Keep an eye on the Virgin / Tesco website page here.

(EDIT:  The Virgin deal is now confirmed and runs until 15th March.)

Personally ….. I am converting to Uber at the moment.  It is a ‘genuine’ 3x face value deal and our Uber spend is fairly high.  My choice is converting every £10 of vouchers into either £30 of Uber credit or 2400 Avios or 2500 Virgin miles.   This means I would be ‘paying’ 1.25p per Avios or 1.2p per Virgin mile (1p with the 20% bonus) if I took those instead and I’m not willing to pay that.

Hilton Lufthansa promotion

Earn 2,500 Miles & More miles per Hilton stay

At the end of March, Hilton Honors will no longer let you earn airline miles from your stays.  ‘Points and Miles’ will be stopped and the only option will be taking points.   I explained it in detail in this article.

Lufthansa Miles & More is going out with a bang, however.

For stays between now and 25th March you will earn:

1,500 Miles & More miles on your first stay

2,000 Miles & More miles on your second stay

2,500 Miles & More miles on your third and subsequent stays, with no cap

You must register for this offer via this page of hilton.com.

This is a VERY generous deal.  Miles & More miles are valuable for long-haul redemptions (rubbish, admittedly, for European short-haul due to taxes).  Dubai in Business Class, for example, is 70,000 Miles & More miles from the UK, changing in Germany or Switzerland.  British Airways wants 100,000 to 120,000 Avios for the same route depending on whether it is a peak or off-peak date.

That said, I would only recommend this offer if you have an existing Miles & More account and want to add to it.  You are unlikely to earn enough from Hilton alone to get a decent redemption.

Remember that Hilton Honors is also offering a status match at the moment which may now look attractive.  Diamond needs 8 stays if you have top tier status in another hotel scheme, Gold needs 4 stays if you have mid tier status elsewhere.

A mattress run to get the required stays could make sense if tied in with this offer.  If you had a Hilton or Hampton near you that was, say, £50 at a weekend then it looks good.  You would be getting £25+ of Miles & More miles from your 3rd stay plus the base miles plus the base Hilton Honors points!  The net cost of that £50 stay suddenly looks a lot lower.  Details of the status match are in this article.

You MUST register for the Miles & More offer which you can do on the Hilton site here.  You will also need to change your Hilton account to earning ‘Points & Miles’ on your stays with Lufthansa as your preferred airline.

HFP EXCLUSIVE: Get an extra Hotels.com Rewards free night credit on your next stay
Bits: odd "Virgin miles from Virgin Trains" rule, earn SPG points with Hertz, 80% bonus buying Hilton points

IHG Sale

Comments

1. OT: If you’re on the old style “self employed only” Curve card and you lose your card and have to get a replacement one, does anyone yet know if the replacement card you get issued will be one of the new-style debit cards, rather than old style with the business credit card fee?

• I think the safest thing to do is to actually request that it’s a debit type. When I “re-applied” last week after cancelling the original card eons ago I was first sent the self-employed original type, so they are still sending them out. I then asked for a debit card instead which was sent with no fuss. It’s been of little use to me paying HMRC however but that’s another story.

• Ed Chrome says:

You don’t need to lose your card just tell them you want to switch.

Me and other Director had old card now I replaced mine with Debit version (still corporate) any reason to keep the other as the old version? as in any advantage of the old business credit version against the new Debit version?

Thanks,

• Yes I asked to switch. They got back to me very quickly and are sending me the debit version. Old card was switched off immediately so worth bearing in mind in case you want to make purchases in the interim.

• Seems not but you never quite know with Curve. There is also going to be some sort of reward scheme on the consumer version launching in a few weeks but we haven’t had visibility yet.

2. Reeferman says:

OT (Bits)
    Anyone had any experience of using 2 Lloyds upgrade vouchers to/from USA but booked at separate times (as-and-when the flights open-up at T-355)? Do you get stung for the higher taxes/fees that apply when booking separately or do AVIOS work out a way to combine the booking and only charge the r.t. taxes/fees (as per the BA 2-4-1 voucher when used in the same way)?

• roberto says:

Unfortunately its treated as two booking and you pay (slightly) more for the privilege. The only other option is risking until the returns come out and (a) phoning or (b) booking two returns.

• roberto says:

Virgin “stiffed” me to not repricing two one ways into one return recently FWIW..

• Reeferman says:

Thanks Roberto – I feared that might be the case. Seems it’s an extra £425/£450 in total for 2 people in J.

3. Can someone please clarify a detail for me regarding Hilton Honors settings for “Points & Points” and “Points & Miles”.

Is the setting you have on your account at the time of your booking applied by Hilton Honors when applying points/miles, or, does the setting you have on your account at the time of the stay/invoice date apply?

This has never been an issue for me before, but I have a couple of stays coming up which were booked some months ago and I’d welcome the clarification. Thanks!

• I think in theory it is at point of check-out but others have different experiences.

• For bookings made a while ago I tend to clarify with the receptionist and if necesary change it to the setting I desire at the time of stay to maxmise the current active promo etc.

• It works very reliably – changes to P+M vs P+P earning preference can be set up until 23:59 Mountain Time on the day of check-out.

For which airline programme you credit to – that is set at time of *booking* and subsequent changes to preferred programme don’t make a difference. To change post-booking either rebook (if on flexible rate and prices suit) or tell hotel reception, they have the power to manually change it.

4. O/T

Does anyone know if the Plaza Premium Lounge at T5 is an option for domestic flights or if its located in the international area of the terminal (if that exists?)? I am flying to NCL on Saturday and it would be good to know if I can use the lounge.

Many Thanks

• Caleb Wong says:

There isn’t a separate area, the lounge is in T5A, so you are good to go if you are flying from T5. Just remember to go to your correct T5 A/B/C terminal for boarding.

• You can use it – the domestic flights go from the main terminal building anyway. Remember that only flashing an Amex Plat gets you in, not Lounge Club / Priority Pass.

• Thanks Rob! I was planning on using my dragonpass card as the lounge is listed on their website?

• TGLoyalty says:

Do they actually swipe/charge the AMEX Platinum card or just look at it?

• Not sure if there have been any changes, but they swiped my card and printed a receipt when I visited in December.

• No international area at T5A – that’s why they have the facial recognition system, to allow domestic and international pax to be mixed in the terminal building,

5. Highland Traveller says:

OT: I have 6105 On Business Points that need to be used. I have no idea whether that is enough to for example, upgrade to CE a ET flight or anything similar? Any ideas? is there a table showing redemption rates? Thanks

6. I’ve been looking at what to do now that I have triggered the Amex Gold 20k bonus, and whether or not I should close the card or retain it. Then I saw this link, https://www.americanexpress.com/uk/content/platinum-charge/upgrade/

Looks like you can score another 20k points by way of upgrading the gold to plat? Is this standard (I am not an expert in this area).

Bottom line – has anyone done this recently and managed to get two sets of 20k??

• Optimus Prime says:

Yes, many readers have successfully done it. It is legit, not a loophole 🙂

• Technically, the link is only for email who are email by Amex and invited to upgrade, which is why I do not openly push it. They don’t seem to double check though.

• Yes, have just done it, but missed out on this https://www.americanexpress.com/uk/content/gold-companion/#GoldCreditCardbenefits.
      You can get a Platinim Credit after you have upgraded, but cancel gold credit first.
      So that’s another 10,000 MR.

• On reading the first comment, I went for it, and now I can see I have missed out on some additional points too. I will take the additional 20k though – that’s happy days 🙂

Thanks for both of your help!

• thehornets says:

Is it not 5,000?

• Yes, but I think Mark means 10000 in total for taking first the gold then the platinum credit card after upgrade.

• correct.
          if I still can after any changes I shall be doing Gold > Gold Credit > Platinum > Platinum Credit for 18,000 referral + 22,000 + 5,000 + 20,000 + 5,000 = 70,000 + spending 4,000.
          Fingers crossed for 10th March.

• and potential to increase spending to 6000 if you can put £2000 travel spend on the gold. Same strategy here except I need to make it through 6 April. My concern is that if changes do come this month they might be many and varied.

• TGLoyalty says:

BTW cancelled my BAPP recently and was given no horror stories other than the usual “your companion voucher will disappear and not useable without your BAPP” line

7. I converted my last two years’ worth of Clubcard points less than an hour before reading this article. D’oh!

TBH I wouldn’t be particularly swayed by the Avios competition anyway, but it will suck if the BA redemption gets a good deal now…

• Highly unlikely. Possibly even a smart move to convert this quarter, given the recent clubcard changes then the odds on conversions to air miles devaluing must have increased.

8. Can the Uber credit via Clubcard be used in USA?

9. Mikeact says:

Has anybody received theirTesco/Avios in their account yet ? Tesco are usually pretty quick but nothing in mine as yet.

10. OT – Has anyone flown on Titan Airways that BA are using out of LGW?

Booking CE LGW – FAO and it’s operated by Titan, wondering what on board exp is like vs standard BA