Celebrate World Cup failure with £66 off a British Airways long-haul flight!

To, ahem, commemorate England’s World Cup defeat last night, British Airways has launched a three day promotion.

Until midnight on 14th July, you can save £66 on any long-haul BA flight.

You need to use promo code STILLPROUD on the price quote page at ba.com.

(Edited purely because it read wrongly on the home page and Facebook stub!)

British Airways £66 World Cup ticket discount

Here is a summary of the small print:

Minimum spend of £300 per person required

Flight must be BA marketed and BA operated (no codeshares etc)

Valid for travel until 30th June 2019

Valid for all booking classes

Only one booking per Executive Club member

Cannot be combined with ‘part pay with Avios’

Full details can be found on this special page of ba.com – do check the full rules before booking.

Bits: Etihad 10% World Cup discount, Qatar puts an A350 on Manchester, Finnair launches with AirPortr
Bits: £973 oneworld deal to Rio for August, Etihad F1 packages, Starwood loses four Dubai hotels

IHG

Comments

1. Incredibly sad that this only works for long haul… was hoping to get cheap CE tickets for a tier point run but oh well

2. They just got lucky to get to the semi finals. They got weak teams/favourable draws. I had a crying daughter at the end of it all. Also they disrespected their opponents (especially Sweden)- that’s why they didn’t know how to respond when Croatia stepped up their game. And before you say it- I do know the sport!
    Missed opportunity- this was golden opportunity to get to the finals. Listen to Roy Keane. Lol.
    I think Rob was just making a joke but people are angry and lashing out because there’s some truth in it. Remember the truth hurts.

3. lol it’s genuinely hard to think of anything so misjudged as this. so out of step with what everybody thinks and not to mention so out of step with what those players deserve

• Aliks says:

What everybody thinks???

Its pretty clear there are two views on this matter and both sides can be genuine England fans.

In my view, the players certainly deserve respect, but in the end they didn’t have what it takes – I and many others are just telling it like it is.

• Callum says:

You cannot be a genuine England fan and say they are “rubbish”. They are demonstrably not.

Not as good as other teams? Certainly.
        Not as good as they should be? Very possibly.
        Rubbish? No. END OF.

4. Memesweeper says:

Rob, that was a misjudged comment (yes, I’m over 40).

All, a potentially better World Cup offer that BA’s from Etihad:

We understand your disappointment and to help you forget yesterday’s result we are offering 10% off all Economy and Business Class flights worldwide. Fly from London Heathrow or Manchester to the Middle East, Asia or Australia between September 2018 and March 2019 using the promotion code:

WORLDENG
    Book by 15 July 2018 to receive your 10% off.

5. Man who runs really useful website that many people have benefitted from and continue to view daily makes joke morning after England lose world cup match.

Uproar from the masses. Personal insults. Faux anger.

Unbelievable, ungracious, unnecessary.

And yes, I’m a football fan too. Season ticket holder at Huddersfield Town FC for 25 years. Seventy grounds visited supporting the team. Seen England home and away. Still able to maintain a sense of perspective about what football is.

Plenty on here need to give their heads a shake, whatever cabin you travel in. Arrogance and entitlement pervade these comment sections.

• Personal insults? Where? Where is the arrogance and entitlement in this thread? Sorry not following you at all.

• Aliks says:

Arrogance is saying that people shouldn’t pass comment at all, rather than just saying that you disagree with their comments.

Entitlement is saying that your own view is “naturally” the mainstream view.

• Would it help if I said ” it’s only a game” 😉

• Callum says:

So if I popped up everyday and personally insulted you, it would be wrong for anyone to defend you and say I shouldn’t be doing that?

• Aliks says:

Callum, it depends on whether the personal insult is justified or not.

• Lady London says:

Rob is a victim of his own success.

6. Shane says:

O/T: very new to this hobby, thought I could use iberia avios to book BA LCY to JFK – showing availability on BAEC but not on Iberia.com spoke to Iberia call centre who say they dont have any availability for that route as a whole. Is this correct? Do BAEC and Iberia not share the same availability for BA flights?

7. Looks like the flights need to start in the UK but it’s not mentioned anywhere? Was hoping to book an ex-Germany TATL…

• Mikeact says:

What flights are you talking about, , the recent Iberia promotion? I’m on Iberia from Madrid. You could be foolish and book BA from the UK through Iberia if you really wanted to waste money, and Avios.

• I’m talking about the £66 code this thread is referring to… Only works for UK departures!

8. The fact is that there is still Saturday and instead of being all gloomy England should make sure to take bronze at least! This could be the best result since 1996! Judging by people in my office, not many people realise there is another match to play still. I am also seeing Express saying that the game on Saturday is pointless. Shame, it’s such arrongance that cost England.

• luckyjim says:

Sorry, Third place playoff is totally pointless and should be dropped. I can’t even remember who England played in the 1990 playoff let alone who won that match.

• It arrogance. In every tournament from Olympics to everything else you have gold, silver and bronze! It just shows that English can’t be proud and loose. In 1998 when Croatia lost in semi-finals, their team fought hard to win bronze. If England was a bit more humble it would do wonders, but no… If this kind of thinking doesn’t change, Rob is right, we won’t see England winning in our lifetimes and probably not another generation too! So I hope England wins the bronze.

• luckyjim says:

It has nothing to do with arrogance. In knockout tournaments the beaten semi finalist do not play for third place. EVER. Not in any other football tournament, not in rugby, basketball, hockey, Gaelic Football, Aussie rules, volleyball anything. They don’t even do it in cricket. It’s just stupid.

I hope Harry Kane wins the Golden Boot and Pickford wins Best Keeper. – much more meaningful than third place.

• Gavin says:

The rugby World Cup has a 3rd place playoff

• Sussex bantam says:

Italy beat England in 1990. Peter Shilton made a terrible mistake for one of their goals

• luckyjim says:

Yes. I did know that really, but only because Lineker and Klinsman were talking about it on Sunday. Both agreed they did not want to play in the ‘dreaded’ playoff match.

• Dougie Forde says:

I find it hard to believe that after last night Gareth Southgate told the players that they couldn’t have a few drinks or meet up with their families because there is another game on Saturday. In 1990 Bobby Robson gave some players a chance who hadn’t played so it obviously wasn’t being taken that seriously. Rare for me to agree with the Daily Express but this game is pointless. Same with the Rugby World Cup 3rd place play off

9. Jeremy says:

We’ve all been on a roller-coaster ride of emotions over the last few weeks, but at the end of last night’s match, with the emotional exhaustion of 120 minutes of tension sinking in, and the sadness of defeat mixing in with the joy of some sense of achievement for once, I think we all need to take a step back, be grateful that we were able to enjoy 6 exciting games, and then get on with the Summer.

Perhaps Rob’s joke was a little too soon for some tastes. You may not agree with it. But I think we all need to remind ourselves that this is just football. There really is no reason to get so heated, or excuse to get so personally aggressive! Why does Rob’s joke really matter?

• Callum says:

The irritating thing for me, and I assume most others here, is that it isn’t a joke – as evidenced by his numerous comments backing it up. He was literally stating “the England football team is rubbish”.

Its not a big deal and I’ll forget it tomorrow, but I’m so irritated by it because it so perfectly displays the miserable and vindictive side of Britain which has so blissfully been hidden the last few weeks.

• Jeremy says:

Like I said, you may not agree with what he said but it’s still just football and it’s certainly no reason for people to start being so rude to each other. He has an opinion, he’s allowed to have it and there are some facts to back him up and to caveat the team’s success. I happen to disagree with his opinion, but I can also see that even if he truly believes that the England team are still rubbish, the post this morning was more tongue-in-cheek than aggressive criticism.

(Sorry for the double-post below)

• Callum says:

Yes him being rude, whether you try and disguise it as tongue in cheek or not (Rob certainly hasn’t said anything about it being a joke and has only doubled down on what he said…), is a perfectly valid reason to be rude in return.

I don’t care that it’s his site. He’s made a public commenting system so the public are perfectly entitled to comment…

As to it not being a big deal, I’m well aware of that (and specifically said it!). Why can I not criticise minor things?

• the real harry1 says:

Any team that beats Panama and Tunisia is an ace team in my books, Callum 🙂

You got my support all the way.

If we’d lost to (say) San Marino & Luxenbourg, that would be the only genuine reason England should be called a ‘terrible team’!

10. England team still rubbish indeed. a bit like BA actually.

11. Chris says:

Panama, Tunisia and Sweden. Jeez, world beaters

• Andrew25 says:

Thank God we finished 2nd in the group because if we had won it we’d have been dumped out by Japan. Nobody would’ve been praising them then. We were all lead into a false sense of security, but at least finishing 2nd in the group allowed us to keep dreaming for another 9 days……right back to reality and the Brexit mess!!!!

• NYC123 says:

Italia 90
      Drew with Ireland
      Drew with Holland
      Beat Egypt by a single goal.
      A last minte win over belgium and a win against Cameroon before getting beat by Germany, wonder if moro…. yet look how people look back at that tournament.

They did well, far better than anyone predicted so do one with your negativity.

• Andrew25 says:

You can’t compare the two tournaments because who we came up against in 1990 were much better than who we met in this tournament, but all the best to you.

12. OT – Got an email from BAEC – :

‘For a limited time, as a member of the British Airways Executive Club, you’ll receive an exclusive 30,000 bonus Avios when you spend £3,000 in the first three months of Cardmembership – just be sure to apply before 31 July 2018, via the link in this email2.’

• Similar to what Virgin are doing with new fee card – 33000 miles inc spend £100 each of first 3 month

13. OT –
    A friend has asked me to refer them to the Amex Gold card. Assuming that I’d probably transfer the MR to Avios anyway, presumably it is better for me to refer from my current BA Premium Plus card than from my Amex Gold card?

• Peter K says:

• Genghis says:

Why? I’d argue not. 9k avios vs 9k MRs, I’d take the MRs any day for the effectively free option of pluripotentiality of the points

• I was going to cancel my Gold card soon after to churn it so I’d be looking to shove them into avios anyway was my train of thought

• Mikeact says:

‘pluripotentiality’, have to get my old school dictionary out again.

• Peter K says:

My bad. I was thinking you get a bonus 18k avios for referring, rather than 9K ????

• Aaron says:

Do you get Avios for referring AMEX gold or MR products if you only have a BA card?

14. Jeremy says:

15. dicksbits says:

Flight only? Not part of a holiday deal I take it or any add on