IHG

How does ‘Part Pay With Avios’ work with Flybe?

Flybe is now one of the largest regional airlines in Europe.  It operates from over 30 UK and Irish airports, with major hubs at Manchester and Birmingham.  It has even started routes from London Heathrow Terminal 2 as I reviewed here.

Back in 2014, Flybe abandoned its own reward scheme and adopted Avios as its reward currency.  A lot of people still do not seem to know that this feature exists, especially when it comes to redeeming Avios points on Flybe.

Earning Avios on Flybe cash tickets can be surprisingly good these days compared to taking a British Airways Euro Traveller flight.  On routes where Flybe and BA compete at London City, you are likely to earn more Avios taking Flybe!

The cheaper ‘Just Fly’ and ‘Get More’ ticket types on Flybe earn 2 per £1 / €1 spent.  ‘All In’ flexible tickets earn 4 per £1 / €1.  As well as the base fare, you can also earn Avios on whatever you pay for hold luggage, standard and extra leg room, preassigned seating and Flybe Flex.  However, you will not earn anything on ‘Government charges’, primarily APD.

You can learn more about earning Avios on Flybe on their website here.

There are a couple of oddities to earning Avios on Flybe cash tickets:

You will only receive your points when you have flown your return journey.  The outbound points will not be posted after the flight.  If you miss one flight on your itinerary, you will forfeit your Avios points for the entire trip.

You can only credit a Flybe flight to an account which operates via avios.com.  As all avios.com accounts are in the process of being closed and migrated to British Airways Executive Club, you will need to give them an Aer Lingus AerClub or Vueling Club number as these two schemes operate off the avios.com platform.  If you still know the number of your closed Avios Travel Rewards Programme account, you can also use this – the points will be automatically sent to your BA account.

The only exception is if you have booked a British Airways codeshare with Flybe under a BA flight number.  You can credit such flights to British Airways Executive Club.

In theory, Flybe will be launching its own stand-alone Avios scheme later this year.  It will operate in the same way as AerClub or Vueling Club – you will be able to sign-up and see your balance on the Flybe website but, to redeem points, you will need to log in at avios.com.  You will be able to transfer points to and from BAEC and Iberia Plus.

How to book Flybe flights with Avios

How to spend Avios on Flybe

There are two ways of redeeming Avios for Flybe flights.

The first option is to redeem via British Airways Executive Club at ba.com.  This works in exactly the same way as a British Airways redemption.  The number of Avios required is based on the distance you are flying, priced from the standard Avios chart in this HFP article.  A short flight will be 4,500 Avios one way plus taxes and charges as all Flybe redemptions are based on ‘peak day’ pricing.

Note that Flybe does not take part in ‘Reward Flight Saver’ so taxes could be sharply higher than you would pay for an equivalent British Airways redemption.

All Flybe redemptions made on ba.com come with a free checked suitcase.  This is not made clear when booking and your eticket will actually say you don’t have a checked luggage allowance.  Trust me, you do.  You can prove this by going on the Flybe website and trying to add a paid suitcase to your existing Avios booking – you will see that one is already showing.

Use your Avios to part-pay for Flybe flights

Flybe also offers ‘part-pay with Avios’ on its flights.

Full details can be found on this page of the Flybe website.

Whilst I always welcome additional opportunities to use Avios points, it is difficult to get excited about this option.

The minimum redemption is 1,500 Avios which will get you £7.50 off your ticket.  The maximum redemption is 4,500 Avios which will save you £22.50.  That works out at 0.5p per Avios point which is about as poor as you can get.

These redemptions can only be made if you have points sitting in an account which operates off the avios.com platform. This means Avios Travel Rewards Programme (if your account is still open), Aer Lingus AerClub or Vueling Club.  You can use ‘Combine My Avios’ to move your points across to avios.com in order to do this.

There are three upsides as far as I can see:

The cap of 4,500 Avios is per LEG which means, if you book your trip as 2 x one-ways, you can actually redeem 9,000 Avios per return flight for a £45 discount.

You can use Avios against the full cost of the ticket if it is cheap enough, INCLUDING TAXES, albeit not for ancillary purchases such as car hire or travel insurance

You will continue to earn Avios back on your ticket, even if it was bought using ‘part-pay with Avios’, based on the cash balance you personally pay

If you want to check out where you can fly to using Flybe, the full route map is here.

Before booking a Flybe flight via ‘part pay with Avios’, do please check on ba.com whether the same flight is bookable as a standard Avios redemption.  It might be better value.

If you want to learn more about SPENDING your Avios points on Flybe, you should read this ‘Avios Redemption University’ article here.

You can read more about ‘part-pay with Avios’ on the Flybe site here.

Bits: '3' mobile deal on easyJet, double Clubcard points (Avios / Virgin miles) at Esso, Heathrow Fast Track for sale
What is the best Visa or Mastercard travel loyalty credit card?

Comments

1. Michael C says:

Just to confirm: BA does let me do BHX-IOM on points but does NOT allow me to book that same flight under a BA code for tier points, right? I need 30 to top up to silver, so looks like I’ll have to do the return IOM-LCY in Club, which gives me 40.

2. I still find I can’t see any Flybe flights from Southampton (doesn’t recognise the airport) using the standard avios search on BAEC. Does anybody know a way around this?

• Claire says:

Same with DSA – it’s on the list but doesn’t recognise when you select it. I found the availability I wanted on the Avios website (if it’s still working) and rung BA to book DSA-DUB. First BA agent didn’t even know they could book Flybe flights and didn’t know there was an airport in Doncaster 🙄

• Yeah I’ve booked previously on avios. when it closes it would be good to have a way of searching without having to give a BA agent a geography lesson:)

• Genghis says:

I never knew why DSA was called Robin Hood airport. I thought he was from Nottingham?

• Craig says:

Some stories have him coming from Loxley near Sheffield.

• Nick G says:

It was to attract as wide an audience as possible…if they just left it as Doncaster airport it would have closed long ago. As it is it’s completely misleading anyway suggesting it’s close to Nottingham!

• I thought is was Locksley but there may be two spellings for it

• Worzel says:

And there was me thinking that Robin was from The Glen.

🙂 .

• Frank says:

It was the sheriff who was from Nottingham

• Bonglim says:

I thought he was from Gotham City?

• RussellH says:

A quick look at a map suggests that it is barely a mile from the Nottinghamshire / Yorkshire border (and only a couple of miles beyond that to Lincolnshire.
          And for at least a few years at the end of last century, LH printed timetables referred to EMA as Nottingham Airport, though EMA is in Derbyshire.
          In medieval England, I would imagine that Nottingham and Lincoln were by far the two most important towns/cities in the area. Although Doncaster was presumably a Roman settlement, I do not think that It was of any major significance in the 13th century.

• @Alan: Search from left hand sidebar on ‘my executive club’. Enter the three letter code ‘SOU’ and don’t click anything on the dropdown…

• the real harry1 says:

you just do the BAEC search with the full airport name name – all that happens is that you don’t get a pop up to click on, but press Search anyway and it will proceed correctly.

Or use a different search engine such as Google Flights

3. I was searching for flights from EDI to Amsterdam recently as we are planning on meeting up with family there next year. I know they stopped the Dundee to Amsterdam route a while back but didn’t realise they no longer fly direct to Amsterdam from anywhere in Scotland – so that rules that option out. EasyJet it will need to be.

4. Bonglim says:

Slightly difficult question:
    Eastern Airways (does the norwich-Aberdeen route) has formed an alliance with Flybe (Sep 2017).
    -Flights booked through Flybe website
    – Eastern Airways flights will operate with Flybe’s BE codes

Do we think these flights should be bookable with avios? They are not coming up on the search. It would be useful as they tend to be more expensive than normal FlyBE flights.

5. Flightsy says:

I booked a Flybe flight yesterday via Avios.com for 4,500 Avios + £26.94. If cancelling within 24hrs do you get a full refund of Avios + £?

• Yes, except the £35 fee will wipe out the £26.94 so you only get the Avios back.

• sigma421 says:

I think Rob may have missed the subtext here. If you cancel within 24 hours, you get everything back as usual

6. I recently flew Flybe from Prague to Southend and the flight cost €24.99, and I got 50 avios in my account. This fits with the 2 per £/€ but does that mean there’s no “government charges” on that route?

7. David says:

Looks like it has now been fixed, but until recently you could only earn Avios from flybe if your flybe account was UK registered.

• David says:

(to be clear, I’m not talking about the Avios Travel Rewards programme being limited to UK residents, I’m talking about the avios.com account number box being removed unless your flybe profile was set to UK – and avios.com accounts were open to people in south africa for years, plus in more recent times people elsewhere too)

8. Cuchlainn says:

Thanks Rob for Flybe piece – Avios.com had been working like a dream for my family for the last year. My daughter is at Loughborough and Flybe from BHD to EMA was fantastic : loads of seats, 1x23kg hold bag included and approx £58 return !!
    Now……. no ( zero / nil / nada ) full Avios availability after end of October 2018, very poor prices on Flybe’s own sight ( even with part pay ) and no availability on BA on that route whatsoever. Typical Flymaybe and BA cluster IT ! Grrrrrrhhh !

• Cuchlainn says:

Flymaybe calling me a liar on the Avios website – now appear to have loaded their winter program from 1st Nov onwards – Xmas holibobs flights booked !!

9. Nigel Williams says:

Now if they could only get their damn phone App working! 🙁

10. Martin says:

” major hubs at Manchester and Birmingham”

Surely Exeter as well, since that is the Flybe HQ and maintenance centre?

I flew Flybe from Exeter to Inverness once, non-stop. Probably the longest flight you can do within Great Britain.