Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

More about the forthcoming changes to your Lloyds Avios Rewards credit card

Links on Head for Points may support the site by paying a commission.  See here for all partner links.

Yesterday we ran an article on the changes to the Lloyds Duo Avios credit cards which were sent to cardholders on Monday.

I said that I expected letters to follow to holders of the Lloyds Avios Rewards cards shortly.   I now have details of what will happen.

This is what you need to know:

This is going to be a very slow process.  Letters will be staggered between now and April 2019.  It isn’t clear if this is due to Lloyds looking to avoid a squeeze on their infrastructure or if they are hoping to tie it in with your annual renewal date.

The changes will apply to your account 60 days from the date the letter is sent

However, if the changes were linked to your renewal date, there would be no reason for Lloyds to be telling people, as they are, that – as the new replacement Lloyds Avios Mastercard is free – you will receive a pro-rata fee refund on your existing card

If you have had a Club Lloyds current account for at least six months, you receive an extra 0.1 Avios per £1 (0.2 Avios per £1 for foreign spending)

Some customers may receive a retention offer at the time of the switch

There will be a 2.95% foreign exchange fee going forward (the card currently has 0% FX fees)

There will not be an upgrade voucher going forward

The Lloyds call centre is telling some people that there is a final cut off of 2nd February for spend to count towards your upgrade voucher, irrespective of your year end.  This is NOT confirmed in writing yet so treat it as rumour.

The Avios earning rate on the new Mastercard will be the same as the one offered to ex-Lloyds Duo Avios cardholders:

0.4 Avios per £1 you spend in the UK

0.8 Avios per £1 you spend outside the UK

0.4 Avios per £1 transferred on a balance transfer (this is a new benefit – Lloyds Duo Avios cardholders used to get Avios on balance transfers but Lloyds Avios Rewards cardholders did not)

….. plus the extra 25% bonus for Club Lloyds current account holders.

One thing I don’t know is whether this new Lloyds Avios Rewards Mastercard will be reopened to new cardholders or whether it will remain exclusively for ex-Amex cardholders.

Lloyds Bank has set up a special website on the changes and you can find more details here.

With everyone getting 60 days notice and the letters being staggered over almost a year, there is no need to rush out and get a 0% foreign exchange fees card or get a replacement Avios-earning Amex.  I would wait until you get your letter and then make a move.

Want to earn more points from credit cards? – February 2024 update

If you are looking to apply for a new credit card, here are our top recommendations based on the current sign-up bonuses.

In February 2022, Barclaycard launched two exciting new Barclaycard Avios Mastercard cards with a bonus of up to 25,000 Avios. You can apply here.

You qualify for the bonus on these cards even if you have a British Airways American Express card:

Barclaycard Avios Plus card

Barclaycard Avios Plus Mastercard

Get 25,000 Avios for signing up and an upgrade voucher at £10,000 Read our full review

Barclaycard Avios card

Barclaycard Avios Mastercard

5,000 Avios for signing up and an upgrade voucher at £20,000 Read our full review

You can see our full directory of all UK cards which earn airline or hotel points here. Here are the best of the other deals currently available.

Virgin Money is offering double points on spending until 14th April (£5,000 cap) to new customers when you apply for the Virgin Atlantic Reward+ Mastercard. Click here to learn more.

British Airways American Express Premium Plus

25,000 Avios and the famous annual 2-4-1 voucher Read our full review

American Express Preferred Rewards Gold

Your best beginner’s card – 20,000 points, FREE for a year & four airport lounge passes Read our full review

The Platinum Card from American Express

40,000 bonus points and a huge range of valuable benefits – for a fee Read our full review

Virgin Atlantic Reward+ Mastercard

15,000 bonus points and 1.5 points for every £1 you spend Read our full review

Earning miles and points from small business cards

If you are a sole trader or run a small company, you may also want to check out these offers:

British Airways Accelerating Business American Express

30,000 Avios sign-up bonus – plus annual bonuses of up to 30,000 Avios Read our full review

American Express Business Platinum

Crazy 120,000 points bonus (to 9th April) and an annual £200 Amex Travel credit Read our full review

American Express Business Gold

Huge 60,000 points sign-up bonus (until 9th April) and free for a year Read our full review

Capital On Tap Business Rewards Visa

Get a 10,000 points bonus plus an extra 500 points for our readers Read our full review

For a non-American Express option, we also recommend the Barclaycard Select Cashback card for sole traders and small businesses. It is FREE and you receive 1% cashback on your spending.

Barclaycard Select Cashback credit card

2% cashback on all your business spend for 3 months (1% thereafter) and no annual fee Read our full review

Comments (164)

• Adrian says:

OT – Having jumped on the 90000 Iberia promotion I’ve just booked MAD – MIA, MIA – MAD – LHR for myself and 2 family members. Unfortunately, there are only 2 rewards seats per flight so one of us has to travel on the later flight. What is the likeliness of Iberia opening up additional rewards seats near the time?

• KevMc says:

Depends on the time of year, but the chances will probably be good.

Your problem may be if the seat is released after 1st December – Will Iberia’s IT allow you to make changes to an existing reward booking using the promotional Avios after they have expired?

• Adrian says:

This is for Feb 2019 so I’d assume that this would be one of the quieter times. If there’s a possibility I’ll just keep on checking.

• Mikeact says:

I wouldn’t call Miami in February one of the quieter times, many European half term school breaks and thousands of Northern Snow Birds.

• Anon says:

I thought Iberia redemptions were non-cancellable?

• Adrian says:

They are cancellable / changeable with a €25 fee which I would be happy to pay considering what we actually paid for the flights

• KevMc says:

You can make a change to the booking (change which flight you’re on etc) or cancel for a small fee as long as it is an Iberia or BA flight.

• ADS says:

i think it’s partner reward flights that are non-changeable when booked using IB avios.

• Din says:

OT: is there going to be a new SPG Amex card?? I read it on a US flyer points website…

• RTS says:

OT – Curve – jsut reduced the amount I can pay to my Amex from £200 daily to £150 daily…. 🙁

• S says:

Curve takes amex?

• Frenzie says:

What?

• RTS says:

As in paying off your AMEX with Curve

• KevMc says:

Did you specifically have a limit imposed on this? I’ve never had a problem with any amount…

• James says:

I pay a couple of grand a week always linked to Tesco credit card

• Anna says:

Have they sent you any info on this? I managed to pay Amex once with Curve but after that it was declined – not tried it recently though.

• Bill says:

Wait, you can pay off credit card bills with curve charged to your debit card???? Imagine all the curve points I could have making. The cat is out of the bag now…open the floodgates

• pommy ray says:

I don’t think you would get any curve points. they are only given with certain retailers not general spend.

• Evan says:

The first rule of Fight Club.

• Anna says:

Granted, but it’s very odd that the limit was reduced instead of the card not being declined altogether.

• Ian M says:

Some people are really not very smart at all.

• RTS says:

Lol – you are so thick, it is unbelievable. Do you honestly think Curve aren’t aware of this “feature” and that it is the worlds best kept secret?

• Crafty says:

Please delete this set of messages Rob…

• Letterbox burka says:

Why exactly? You reckon it will somehow affect this issue/ turnout? Curve mgt aren’t stupid & know it is going on.

Still makes Curve pointless in my books.

• The Urbanite says:

Business can restrict certain activity on an individual basis – there are unconfirmed reports on MSE of Curve allegedly banning someone from linking rewards credit cards altogether. The presumption is because of “cash recycling” activity.

• Matt says:

Say what you can pay credit cards bills with a curve card linked to credit card?!

• Renaud says:

« Lloyds Duo Avios cardholders used to get Avios on balance transfers but Lloyds Avios Rewards cardholders did not »

Wait, those of us with an Avios Rewards who did the 0% balance transfer thing a couple of weeks ago wasted our time ??

• Tilly71 says:

OT:
    HH Gold from Amex plat, if I applied today would Gold status expire Mar 19 or Mar 20?
    Thx

• Genghis says:

March 20 I reckon. This year, next year and till Mar the year after.

• Neil Donoghue says:

It’s a shame but we all knew this was coming. Roll on Virgin and their partnership with KLM / Air France. I have already put 6 figures through my Virgin + card and the earning rate is fantastic. Bring on Neckar Island

• Rob says:

…. post the post-hurricane rebuild 🙂

It is genuinely good value, I worked it out once for an article. It may be 1.2 million points but the cash price is astronomical, excellent ‘pence per point’ ratio. (Of course, whether it is overpriced in the first place is a different question.)

Worth searching the US Frequent Miler blog for Greg’s articles about going to Necker. He got all 1.2m points from a handful of credit card sign-ups over a 12 month period. Branson was there at the time and appeared to get very involved with the guests.

• JPR says:

So let me get this right. If I shop an awful lot at Sainsburys, I can finally get to Nectar Island? Brilliant.

• Neil says:

Post the post-hurricane indeed! 🙂

My wife and I actually made it down to ulusaba last year where a couple had redeemed 500,000 points for 3 nights! I didn’t think the cash rate was that extravagant for a game reserve but Neckar Island IMO is a whole different kettle of fish.

Will definitely check out Greg’s blog, cheers for the heads up Rob and if I make it to Neckar island, I’ll keep you posted! At this rate, perhaps we could all book out the island and hold the next HFP party there 😉

• Alex says:

Not sure what Lloyds are thinking. Their Avios card used to have 2 USPs – no FX fees and upgrade voucher. Now that they’ve removed both of them – who on earth would take this card over BA Amex?..

• Anna says:

Exactly. I can’t see a single reason to stick with it, unless they offer an extra chunk of avios for balance transfers or similar special offer. I’m not even that bothered about the 0% FX as I am only a holiday spender, I got the card mainly for the upgrade voucher, with the earning rate on the Amex a small bonus on top of that.

• Bill says:

People who want to earn points on non amex spend?

• TripRep says:

And the winner of the years longest post goes to….

• Callum says:

Lloyds has a huge credit card market share in the UK. I would assume they’ve done a lot of research on how many customers they’re going to lose by doing this, and decided it’s worth it. I’d also imagine the majority of the people who leave will be making Lloyds very little money anyway (or even losing them money – as you point out, the margins are razor thin or even negative).

With regards to the voucher, how do you know that’s even an option? The vouchers are redeemed with Avios who are shutting down. I would have thought they wouldn’t want to issue more vouchers going forwards – and given BA already have their own successful card, I’m not sure they would want to take over either.

Finally, you also seem to be making the common mistake in these circles of creating a product that works for you as opposed to a product that works for the bank/airline. Neither are charities – if it’s more profitable to have a lesser product, that’s the only rational thing for them to do, even if it alienates certain people

• DavidW says:

At 0.4 points per £ spent this is better than the Tesco credit card (0.3 points per £ spent I think?) and no minimum transaction spend to earn points. So worth dumping the Tesco card and using this one for non-amex UK spend?