Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

American Express and Preferred Hotels launch an ‘extra night’ offer

American Express has launched an ‘extra night’ offer with Preferred Hotels.

You get a third, fourth, or fifth night free when you book two, three, or four consecutive nights at selected properties, paying with an American Express card.

Preferred Hotels Group is not a hotel chain, which is why you may not know it.  It is basically a marketing consortium made up of a number of independent hotels from around the world.

There are over 700 hotels represented from 85 countries.  Almost all of the hotels trade under their historic names with the phrase ‘A member of Preferred Hotels’ tacked on the end.

Preferred Hotels American Express offer

The quality is generally high.  In London, for example, they have The Beaumont, The Stafford, Royal Lancaster, Draycott Hotel and The Bentley amongst others.

Bookings can be made until 30th November for stays until 31st December.

Don’t forget to sign up to the iPrefer loyalty programme before your stay – details here.  Whilst a low profile scheme the company claims to have 2.5 million members.

Full details of the Amex promotion are on the Preferred Hotels site hereclick on ‘Credit Cards’ on the menu bar.

Comments (91)

• rams1981 says:

OT anyone have luck with Amex or Marriott about the missing points or fact points were not multiplied by 3?

• Nick says:

Nope… still wrong. Some haven’t posted at all, the bonus has but at the lower (old) rate. I’m giving them a fortnight to sort it out naturally before raising a formal complaint.

• Phillip says:

After more than 3 months, my SPG Amex points have now all posted correctly!

Still waiting on missing stays from August though.

• Sam says:

Watching this too now that they’ve finally posted!

• S879 says:

OT: I want to buy 35,000 Avios via the Groupon Spain offer. Do I need to open another Groupon account or will the one I have in the UK be fine? I am part of a British Airways household account with my husband and kids in it. Will that be a problem? Lastly, the Iberia account I have was opened sometime back but I haven’t had any avios in it so as long as I’m able to log-in, can I avail this offer?

• Peter K says:

I think you need a new Spanish Groupon account. Look for offers signing up like 15% off your first order that often float about.
      No problem having household account…as long as you transfer via avios.com (eg Veuling).
      Shouldn’t be a problem that no points activity as this will be points in from a partner, as long as your account has not been deactivated from lack of activity.

• S879 says:

Thanks Peter. How long does this process take? I have my eyes on a BA redemption but if the whole process takes a few working days then might not be feasible

• Craig says:

I think the last few have taken around 10 days, don’t forget to buy through the IberiaPlu groupon link for a few extra Avios.

• Peter K says:

• Matt says:

I’ve now had my Spg points from Amex at last, but they don’t seem to have reset the expiration date for my points. They’re listed as “bonus” – anyone else had this?

• Peter K says:

Congrats Caleb. Enjoy your voucher!

• ee says:

Has anyone applied for Amex cards during the period from moving address to appearing on the electoral role? We moved in August but updates are suspended until December for the annual canvas. Am wondering whether no entry on electoral roll will mean automatic rejection?

• Peter K says:

Are you still on the electoral role at your old address (check for free at noddle) and do you have your post redirected by royal mail from your old address? If so can you apply as still at that address?

• ee says:

Yes we are still on the role at old address, but not sure id be comfortable doing that. We both have other active Amex cards moved to the new address for almost two months now, so hopefully that would count in our favour on manual review.

• John says:

You need to igve your old address anyway as less than 3 years at current address.

You are asked to enter an amex number if you have an existing amex, therefore amex knows who you are anyway.

• AndyK says:

It should not be an issue. I am in the same situation as moved in early September. I applied and got approved for new cards.

• Callum says:

I was accepted while not on the electoral roll (and haven’t been over a year). I believe they wanted proof of address sent to them though.

• ee says:

Thanks for the comments, sounds like we’re good to start the 6 monthly churns in that case!

• John2 says:

OT
    Want to travel to LAX. I have tons of avios but no availability. How else can you get there?

• Louise says:

Go via a nearby airport, look at San Diego etc

• Peter K says:

Fly to San Diego and drive to LA. Not too far away on the freeway and has an amazing cake shop there!
      Or fly To another further but not too far airport eg Las Vegas/San Francisco/San Jose and fly from there to LAX.

• RakishDriver says:

You’d need to check but you could try John Wayne airport, an hour drive away on the i405 to LA.

• Cormac says:

Go via Dublin with Aer Lingus – saves on the tax, and pre-clearance is handy.

• Nick_C says:

Test – I don’t seem to be able to post!

• Doug M says:

As it’s Aer Club I’m sure you won’t have to pester them relentlessly for months for the Avios to actually appear.