American Express and Preferred Hotels launch an ‘extra night’ offer

American Express has launched an ‘extra night’ offer with Preferred Hotels.

You get a third, fourth, or fifth night free when you book two, three, or four consecutive nights at selected properties, paying with an American Express card.

Preferred Hotels Group is not a hotel chain, which is why you may not know it.  It is basically a marketing consortium made up of a number of independent hotels from around the world.

There are over 700 hotels represented from 85 countries.  Almost all of the hotels trade under their historic names with the phrase ‘A member of Preferred Hotels’ tacked on the end.

Preferred Hotels American Express offer

The quality is generally high.  In London, for example, they have The Beaumont, The Stafford, Royal Lancaster, Draycott Hotel and The Bentley amongst others.

Bookings can be made until 30th November for stays until 31st December.

Don’t forget to sign up to the iPrefer loyalty programme before your stay – details here.  Whilst a low profile scheme the company claims to have 2.5 million members.

Full details of the Amex promotion are on the Preferred Hotels site hereclick on ‘Credit Cards’ on the menu bar.

A very good redemption option for flights inside South America using Singapore Airlines KrisFlyer miles
Our review of the Executive Lounge at Cornwall Airport Newquay

EXCLUSIVE HFP READER OFFER FOR SME's!
Get points worth 15,000 Avios as a sign-up bonus!
OFFER ENDS 13th JULY
15,000 Avios with Capital on Tap Mastercard

Comments

1. Got an offer from amex platinum for a 2* Michelin dining weekend at Conrad St’James from 23-25/11. £850 for two includes 2 nights hotel, afternoon tea at hotel on 23, a tour of 3x Michelin starred restaurants with started, main and dessert each being at a different venue. Transport provided by vintage red bus, shopping event at Mulberry. Sunday lunch hosted by Chris Galvin at Galvin.

• I got this – decent hotel and worth a look if you like that sort of thing.

• Rates are starting at £265/night for those dates so there is definitely value in it for those into fine dining. Could also be a good option for those witb something s
        pecial to celebrate.

2. Can the preferred hotels free night offer be stacked with “spend £600 at Amex travel get £200 back” offer? Thanks.

3. Phillip says:

Krisflyer : similarly to South America redemptions, it is also one of the cheapest (in miles) for redeeming in North America (USA and Canada) where on some of the trans cons, you get widebody aircraft. Air Canada often operates 777/787 between Toronto and Vancouver. Just 20k one way in business, 30k in first. They are also one of the best options for redeeming to Hawaii from the US on Star Alliance.

4. I guess the KrisFlyer option in southamerica is limited as only Avianca is the star alliance partner there

• Andrew M says:

Copa also can be used for Krisflyer redemptions within South America even though Panama City isn’t technicaly within that region. I made a 40,000 Krisflyer Biz redemption earlier this year on the folowing route, Santiago de Chile – Panama City – Quito – Bogota – Santiago de Chile using a mixture of Copa and Avianca flights. The Copa 737 has an OK business class with 2+2 seating but it’s not lie flat so not great for the long SCL-PTY overnight flight. Biz on the Avianca 787 was lovely,

• May I ask how you searched for flights? I’ve never used Krisflyer but I do use Avios and fly to South America quite a bit. I would certainly make use of good avios redemption fares if I could find them!

• Andrew M says:

I used the United Airlines website to check for avalibility and then booked over the phone with Singapore Airlines. Obviously you can’t use Avios of these flights. In this case the currency is Krisflyer Miles. You could use your Avios on LATAM’s extensive network in South America though, booking through the BAEC website.

5. O/T

Anyone heard anything from Affiniture Cards Ltd about new M & M Global Traveller cards?

• I’ve asked the same a few times in the comments in the last week. Applied on 3rd, haven’t heard anything….

6. For Preferred Hotels offer, just to stress the point that it is a limited list of hotels, you need to go via the offer booking page to see what’s available.

7. Whizz68 says:

OT: HI, Does anyone know any good Avios/MR redemptions for flights between LA, San Francisco, and San Diego?
    Have a good weekend!

• You can use Avios on AA. Find reward availability on AA.com – has to be MilesAAver awards – and book on BA.com. Rob has written articles about it. You can also use Avios on Alaskan who may cover those cities
      post-acquisition of Virgin America.

Delta are an Amex MR partner too I think so that’s another possibility.

• Mikeact says:

I have a Delta reward booked between SFO and San Diego, € (not $) 24.16, Business return.

• Mikeact says:

It was only 22k burning on AF miles, even less on Economy, 11k and 5euros cheaper as well if you want to go down the back !

• You might want to take a look at cash fares as well as redemptions, because they may be better value.

For instance, Alaska’s fares on the SAN – SFO and LAX – SFO routes are sometimes around $50 or $60 one-way, and you can search using their low fare calendar a month at a time.

The SAN – LAX market is different. There is less competition and the planes are small and basically full of passengers connecting to and from flights (especially international) at LAX. So the standalone fares are often quite high, in which case redemptions can sometimes make more sense even though it is such a short distance. It’s a pity BA stopped their 4,500 avios redemptions in the U.S. because they were useful for a route like this. A lot of people take the train instead.

• Agree, I would not burn miles on those routes unless cash rates were so high. Don’t forget there are other airports in the area apart from LAX and SFO. If you have the time it is really worth it to drive from Vegas to San Francisco via Yosemite and along the coast between SF and LA. I’d even recommend taking days off each city to accommodate this. If you don’t want to drive there are coach tours that do the same.

• Peter K says:

I’ve a friend who drove San Francisco to San Diego via Yosemite and Death Valley (he hired a big truck) a few years ago and it was the highlight of his holiday.

• RakishDriver says:

In addition, drive from LA further south and hit the beach communities and surrounding ( Newport, Laguna, Dana point, San Clemente etc.) and stay around there…you could then drive further south to San Diego ; nice Marriott (!) with rooftop in gaslamp quarter.

• The train service between LA and Dan Diego is excellent, it’s quick, cheap and frequent and I would only fly if I had a connection from another longer flight. LAX-SFO is also a good journey but significantly longer… fortunately there’s more competition on airfares on this route so it can be better value (and there’s more redemption opportunity).

• Alaska is probably the way but can’t be booked online.

• Whizz68 says:

Thank you everyone.

8. OT

Now that amex-spg transfers seem to be working again.

I was about to transfer some Amex over and noticed that the account is linked to old SPG number. Should I change this to new SPG/Marriott number (which is my old Marriott number) or leave as is.

Thanks.

9. rams1981 says:

OT anyone have luck with Amex or Marriott about the missing points or fact points were not multiplied by 3?

• Nope… still wrong. Some haven’t posted at all, the bonus has but at the lower (old) rate. I’m giving them a fortnight to sort it out naturally before raising a formal complaint.

• Phillip says:

After more than 3 months, my SPG Amex points have now all posted correctly!

Still waiting on missing stays from August though.

• Watching this too now that they’ve finally posted!

10. OT: I want to buy 35,000 Avios via the Groupon Spain offer. Do I need to open another Groupon account or will the one I have in the UK be fine? I am part of a British Airways household account with my husband and kids in it. Will that be a problem? Lastly, the Iberia account I have was opened sometime back but I haven’t had any avios in it so as long as I’m able to log-in, can I avail this offer?

• Peter K says:

I think you need a new Spanish Groupon account. Look for offers signing up like 15% off your first order that often float about.
      No problem having household account…as long as you transfer via avios.com (eg Veuling).
      Shouldn’t be a problem that no points activity as this will be points in from a partner, as long as your account has not been deactivated from lack of activity.

• Thanks Peter. How long does this process take? I have my eyes on a BA redemption but if the whole process takes a few working days then might not be feasible

• I think the last few have taken around 10 days, don’t forget to buy through the IberiaPlu groupon link for a few extra Avios.

11. Peter K says: